Looking at a new, old ride!

I am looking at a 2007 Trek 1500 SLR. It has been sitting in a basement for the past twelve years. The owner claims it was riden very little before that. It is in immaculate condition. What do you think it is worth? I am in Canada where the prices run higher than stateside.

BAD CHOICE for the average person. Are you average? The reason being the top tube is horizontal, actually slants down towards the front a tiny bit. That makes the handlebar lower and the ergonomics of the bike uncomfortable. The frame geometry in general is meant for speed. Adding a riser will help a tad but wont make it perfect.

But if you want a road bike with race geometry, it fits and it's priced right, go for it.

It's 15 years old and is a nine speed. I'd offer him somewhere between $150-$200. He might be offended, but it's not worth much more than that. Make sure it's your size.

Both of my TitanFlex road bikes are about that age and are perfect and I think they are the one of the greatest road bikes ever made, but they are still only worth a few hundred $ at most. However, one has over 110,000 miles and the other has over 50,000 miles. Miles mean almost nothing, unless the frame cracks, like mine did at 105,000 miles. I now have a new frame and the bike lives on.

It's a classic old school diamond frame road bike. Not sure I'd call it race geometry as it was available with a triple crank. Shimano 105 is decent stuff and it has a carbon fork and nice wheels. The most important thing is does the frame fit you? There are thousands of hits on proper bike fit, search "how to fit a diamond frame road bicycle" or something similar. Has the seller not told you his asking price? I wouldn't offer $100 and insult him. He needs to throw the first number out. Bike prices were crazy for a while but they've come back down. Heck yeah I'd ride this bike if I wanted a road bike, but if I needed the seat that high I'd call the frame too small for me. Red and black and shiny silver is the perfect bike.
1500_trekred.jpg

Yes I believe the bike fits me. It is a 52 cm and I am 5'5". I have taken it for a 10 minute ride and it seems to fit me nicely. I had a Giant Escape 2 before someone liked it better when they broke into my shed. I currently have a Norco hybrid bike that I have been riding for about four years and am looking for something that I can do some distance on. My longest ride on it this year has been 60 km. Thanks for everyone's feedback, it is all greatly appreciated. I still don't know if I will get it or not. I would however take a longer ride on it prior to any purchase.

I had a similar bike, '99 Trek 2200, aluminum frame with Shimano 105 and Rolf Vector wheels. With normal maintenance it lasted over 20 years and at least 15-20 thousand miles. The only things I replaced were chains, chainrings, brake pads. Then I gave it to a friend, still going fine. Those are well made bikes that last forever if you take care of them.
The only problem was the frame was so rigid, you almost needed a mouthpiece to ride it. My solution was a suspension seatpost.

Well I took the bike for another ride yesterday and made him an offer that was accepted. I am now the proud owner of a beautiful trek 1500!Thanks for everyone's help and comments. He also replaced the tires for me.

Back