Looking at 2010 Elantra Blue, thoughts?

Wondering if it is a good idea? Low miles, 5 speed, all maintenance records since new. 1 owner ,clean carfax, old lady driven. The car truly looks and drives like it is brand new off the showroom floor. Even comes with the window sticker and the dealer brochure for the car that year.

I had a friend who had one (an 07) and it was absolutely indestructible, and he really beat the living daylights out of it. After buying it from another friend who did the same from new. Figured this old lady example might be a good long term keeper? Any known major issues? Timing belt was even done at Hyundai dealer.

Those were good reliable vehicles. last of the 'older body style and last year before the theta2 series. How much are they asking? And how many "old ladys" drive 5 speeds, other than a school bus marm?

100% depends on something you havent given us. the price.

IIRC those sold for 11-12k I was shopping a leftover 2011 when 2012 came out.

Some even came without a radio??

Also sorta doubting drives like new.. its 10+ years old probably needs struts and shocks, maybe some rubber bushings etc up front.

bounce test doesnt work very well imo.

Had that era 2010 accent. the cv axles, timing belt and some other parts will be wearing out and/or need replacement due to miles/years

unless you know the previous owner.. they are always old ladies possibly driving 100miles highway each day(if its high miles) etc
typical used car salesman tricks.

Last edited:
It is $5900 which I think is a tiny bit much but still within a reasonable range according to values I see online. It just flipped 54k as I was test driving it today. The car has no paint work that I can see, been garage kept and is perfect inside out aside from a small scratch on the rear bumper corner about an inch long, easily touched up with touch up paint. It hasn't been cleaned up or anything so not like it was trashed and restored or buffed for hours to look presentable.

The coolant is dirty and it is due for an oil change. I actually prefer to see cars before they are prepped because you have a better idea of what you are getting into. Underneath it looks like brand new, the underside is just as clean as the top. Typical senior citizen Michelin tires that are getting dry with plenty of tread. As I mentioned, the timing belt was done at the local Hyundai dealer as was all maintenance, all receipts included. It even has windshield wipers with Hyundai logos on them. So they got this person for every service they could possibly sell to her including the BG intake cleanings and everything else. While dealer service doesn't exactly excite me, at least I know all the oil changes and service were done on it.

NADA retail is $5400. Is a dealer selling it or private owner? And it's the last year of that bodystyle. How much more would a 2011 be that is a nicer car overall?

It is a dealer and they aren't really willing to budge on the price. I figure for the condition I can understand that. If I don't buy it, i'm sure someone else will. I actually like the 2010 because it isn't drive by wire and still fairly simple (Port FI). It also has a lot more headroom than the newer one because it doesn't have that sleek shape to it. I know they are tough cars and was just hoping to have something around that is good on gas for longer trips. If my friend didn't kill his, it must be tough.

There are plenty of cars out there in this price range, but I haven't seen any that can compete with the condition of this particular car. It is a BLUE which is the base model but it has many options like the stereo, cruise control, keyless entry, power everything etc. Just no heated seats or leather and of course has hubcaps which would be leaving as soon as I have to do anything with the tires if I buy it. Was just wondering if anyone had really negative experiences with one of these honestly. The ones that I have known of were indestructible and abused. I take really good care of my vehicles, so I think it would last.
NADA retail is $5400. Is a dealer selling it or private owner? And it's the last year of that bodystyle. How much more would a 2011 be that is a nicer car overall?

I've known several people with these cars and they are solid and dependable. The price is a bit high in my opinion, but used cars are commanding high prices right now and it's not a terrible deal. It's in great condition with low miles and the timing belt is done, so I'd say go for it if you like it.

It is a dealer and they aren't really willing to budge on the price.
$5900 for a 54,000 mile 2010 car that is the last year made. For comparison, I'm trying to get $7500 for a 3,000 mile 2012 Nissan that is the first year made. If you like it, offer $5,500. Can't imagine they wouldn't come down a little. Not many customers drive sticks anymore.

Back