Long way from the cell tower?

Feels like 5G is a solution for a non-existent problem. Maybe a money saver long term if your thoughts are correct.
It is the same as going from dial up to DSL. I remember we used to have data cap per month like 1GB for $70 but now you can get $15/mo with 1GB or so, and nothing else has changed.

Also selling home internet via 5G breaks the cable monopoly. One day we will have laptop going on a data plan that you don't have to worry about working anywhere without wifi.

Don't you get electricity from a power line? Don't phone cables use the same power poles?
My DSL has gotten really expensive. I called to find out why and they told me I have the premium 384k up package, and nobody can even order it anymore. All the more reason to keep it.

4G has more range than 5G but 5G has better bandwidth.
No, 4G vs 5G modulation has nothing to do with range. The frequencies used in either 4G or 5G are what affects the range. If you put a 4G and a 5G radio side by side using adjacent frequencies and bandwidth, the range would be the same and the 5G throughput and scale would be much better. If you had 700MHz frequency assigned to the 5G radio and 5GHz assigned to the 4G radio, the 4G radio would have much shorter range and higher throughput.

Last edited:
Looks like my local tower is back up.

Screenshot_20240601-162407.jpg

Overall you will experience better signal and longer range with LTE Vs 5g cell coverage especially in more rural areas and outside of cities.
In our coastal area I previously posted my iPhone 13 and T-Mobile service would suffer in some areas by trying to make use of a weak 5g signal instead of using the LTE signal. Sometimes inside of stores it got unusable and traveling in rural areas would at times too. SO I turned off 5g on my cell and selected LTE only. I think it improved but shortly after I dropped T-Mobile anyway so did not have a long term test.
I can confirm (and someone else in here backed me up with the same experience or similar) My new service with Verizon through US Mobile works better in rural areas when going inside of stores. Need more time to confirm but Im pretty sure there is no doubt in my mind being able to use my phone in stores that I couldnt before.

The new service shows a weak LTE signal with Verizon that works vs T-Moible at the time trying to use 5g and would not work inside a few stores. They all use the same towers in most places around here.
Anyway, if you are one to have issues with your phone connecting at times (in less populated areas), you may want to try setting your phone to LTE only and see if it improves. Nothing to lose trying it if your in a fringe area your phone wont "fight" itself trying to use a weak 5g signal and use the reliable LTE instead. (my personal opinion/ limited experience trying it)

"Rolling out new networks take time. The fact 5G isn’t quite as good at performing over long distances also means LTE will hold out a bit longer until innovations in 5G bring better parity here."

Last edited:
So how many have truly unlimited data plans? I've found faster service isn't any good if you hit their high speed data cap and then they slow you down to 3G service.

Consumer Cell use to but have now go n back to a 50Gb limit then the slow down. Best I could find last time I looked was Verizon and at about $200 a month for 100Gb.

So how many have truly unlimited data plans? I've found faster service isn't any good if you hit their high speed data cap and then they slow you down to 3G service.

Consumer Cell use to but have now go n back to a 50Gb limit then the slow down. Best I could find last time I looked was Verizon and at about $200 a month for 100Gb.
My plan is unlimited and my carrier "may slow my data rate during times of congestion". I've never once seen my carrier slow my data rate nor have many other people I know that have the same plan and carrier. Believe me, we have tried.

My plan is unlimited and my carrier "may slow my data rate during times of congestion". I've never once seen my carrier slow my data rate nor have many other people I know that have the same plan and carrier. Believe me, we have tried.
So whose your carrier ? It's usually buried very deep. It's pretty easy to tell when downloading and I have an old data rate app on the PCs.

Even Verizon had a max high-speed data limit where they slowed me down. I should say this is for 4G hotspot.

Agree, 3g is useless now.
I would say that the average person uses less than 10Gb a month assuming that they have WiFi where they live.
Im constantly on my cell phone and my wife too but mostly all at home which doesnt count towards your data.
For that reason we chose the 12Gb data plan which is shared data, we never usually exceed 8Gb combined in any month except when on vacation. That cost us $16.50 per line = Actual payment, includes all fees and taxes of $33 for both lines. We selected Verizon, AKA on the website as their "Warp" service.

I you need more than 50Gb a month you will have to pay for it, cell providers are going to limit what the majority of their customers need and do not want power users. (like you! *LOL*)

US Mobile offers Verizon or T-Moble service, your choice, 100Gb a month for an actual payment of $50. It also comes with a host of other things. If you pay by the year the cost goes down to $37.50
Im starting to sound like a salesperson for this company that @14Accent first posted about in this forum! He was right on the money (no pun intended) I posted the link many times here it is one more time. Another reliable option is Red Pocket but US Mobile for us beats them.

Easy stuff ...
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 3.21.30 PM.jpg

Here is the website, also scroll down for custom options

So whose your carrier ? It's usually buried very deep. It's pretty easy to tell when downloading and I have an old data rate app on the PCs.

Even Verizon had a max high-speed data limit where they slowed me down. I should say this is for 4G hotspot.
I have an unfair advantage, I work for my carrier and have a ton of insights into the network that most don't.

As far as I know, US Mobile slows speeds to 1 Mbps after you hit your monthly "limit". For example: my current Unlimited Starter plan includes 35 gigs of "high speed" data, with the any overage slowed. While there is no data "cap", there is a limit to how much "high speed" data you can use.

Back