Long term oil changes

For the nissans of that age if I recall correctly, Nissan actually specd 3750 miles, 6 months for extreme service, or 7500miles, 12 months.
I recall Nissan always being 3750, even up to 2006 I can’t recall nissan ever using 7500. It was 3 months or 3750 back in that time.

I recall Nissan always being 3750, even up to 2006 I can’t recall nissan ever using 7500. It was 3 months or 3750 back in that time.
the 02 Frontier's FSM MA page has 3750m/6mths as schedule 1 (Extreme Duty)
75000m/1yr as Schedule 2 (normal duty)

They guidance suggests:

Follow Periodic Maintenance Schedule 1 if your driving habits frequently
includes one or more of the following driving conditions:
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles (8 km).
Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km) with outside temperatures
remaining below freezing.
Operating in hot weather in stop-and-go “rush hour” traffic.
Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distances, such as police,
taxi or door-to-door delivery use.
Driving in dusty conditions.
Driving on rough, muddy, or salt spread roads.
Towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier.

Follow Periodic Maintenance Schedule 2 if none of the driving conditions
shown in Schedule 1 apply to the driving habits

the 02 Frontier's FSM MA page has 3750m/6mths as schedule 1 (Extreme Duty)
75000m/1yr as Schedule 2 (normal duty)

They guidance suggests:

Follow Periodic Maintenance Schedule 1 if your driving habits frequently
includes one or more of the following driving conditions:
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles (8 km).
Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km) with outside temperatures
remaining below freezing.
Operating in hot weather in stop-and-go “rush hour” traffic.
Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distances, such as police,
taxi or door-to-door delivery use.
Driving in dusty conditions.
Driving on rough, muddy, or salt spread roads.
Towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier.

Follow Periodic Maintenance Schedule 2 if none of the driving conditions
shown in Schedule 1 apply to the driving habits
So not one consumer falls under normal service. Every consumer falls under severe. Those services have been updated for todays operating conditions.

So not one consumer falls under normal service. Every consumer falls under severe. Those services have been updated for todays operating conditions.
Objectively cant say. since I dont know every consumer. Subjectively yes, but convincing owners that want to argue semantics of whether their grocery trips are nullified after taking one 10 minute highway jaunt every month allows them to be in schedule 2 idk

Objectively cant say. since I dont know every consumer. Subjectively yes, but convincing owners that want to argue semantics of whether their grocery trips are nullified after taking one 10 minute highway jaunt every month allows them to be in schedule 2 idk
As a 20 plus year tech for a whole lot of manufacturers, I can tell you EVERY consumer falls under severe service. You can talk to any tech and they will say same exact thing.

If the OP is driving 50+ miles each time, the oil is warmed up and any condensation in the oil is burnt off, so 2 years would be fine. If the OP is only driving 10 miles per outing, then 6 months.

My truck is used by several family members for Ikea, Home Depot and Lowes runs, moving, etc. My son drives it to work every other week or so. It is a 30 mile round trip on 4 lane at 55 mph. It also takes at least one trip to western Kansas (500mile round trip on interstate) a year. I'm aware of short trip impacts on oil and do try to balance it with that Sunday joy ride to get it heated up and burn off potential condensation. It's a very well cared for truck but absolutely terrible to drive in the snow (two wheel w/ drive open diff.). It gets garaged most of the winter but is taken out and fully heated up when weather permits). Seems to be many differing opinions so I'll likely keep doing my annual oil change with every other year quality filter change. Side note: the filter is a pain in the butt to get to it. Without a lift and being a contortionist, the right front right tire must be removed, remove the rubber splash shield on the back side of the wheel well, and use extensions and a clamp on oil filter wrench to get to it.

Last edited:
6 months lol, come on...
I've run Group 1 20W-50 Dino for 2 years and 4500 miles in a carbureted engine, there are people here who have run some oils even longer in rarely driven vehicles, and have even posted Uoa's showing that the oil was still ok.

But not because of this.
I’ll say this. I have a 2019 F-350 SRW that I use to pull my camper. I don’t even put 3,000 miles a year on it. It sits for weeks at a time where I’ll just take it to Home Depot or somewhere to run diesel through it. It Holds 13 quarts of oil. I replace oil every 6 months with Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 at 30.00 dollars a gallon. I also change fuel filters once a year period.

Back