Long Lasting All Season Tire Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If snow is important, and you can't or won't buy a second set of winter tires, consider the Toyo Celsius or Vredestein Quatrac 5. Toyo says the Celsius should be good for 60k.

As it happens, snow is an issue in the area where I live now so I decided to get a set of winter tires in the end... better late than never. That will likely delay purchase of the new all-season (or more like three-season) set until approx. mid-2019 based on my "forecast" of wear and usage between the two sets.

Otherwise, the Official Tires of BITOG are the RT43 and CS5 Ultra.

Yes, I kind of gathered that. Two good choices!

The Dunlop Signature II is a good tire worth considering, and also US-made and will probably last 60k as well.

Don't forget about the Yokohama Avid Ascend. Warranty is 75k for H-rated, and they are also American-made.

Thanks!

I ended up with PureContact tires on my car - the dealer paid for one, and I paid for the other three, so it was a really good price overall. I have to say I like them much better than the ProContacts that were OE on the car, especially in wet and slushy weather. Continental claims a 70k mileage warranty for a V-rated tire, and TireRack rated the tire best for inclement weather traction in the Grand Touring All-Season category.

To be honest, I was surprised, but then I have not had Contis since the 80's, when I hated them.

im happy with the 4 kelly edge a/s that i put on my 2013 vw passat. o.p. has two edges on already, how do you like them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstert
im happy with the 4 kelly edge a/s that i put on my 2013 vw passat. o.p. has two edges on already, how do you like them?

Part of the problem with a mismatched set... you don't quite know which tire is really better/worse. Overall, I'd say the Kelly set is a bit better than Goodride in terms of traction. Rubber appears to be softer which is better in cold weather but it's also wearing faster. One thing that is unfortunate is that the initial tread depth was only 9/32nds on the Kelly Edge A/S in my size. Clearly, more of an entry-level tire vs mid-grade like General Altimax and Cooper CS5 or premium tires like many of the Michelins and Continentals.

I had excellent results on a VW Jetta 09 with the Yokohama Avid Ascends. Very long wearing, and available in H. But I think the best all season tire for high performance in this category is the Continental DWS 06. People are putting them on new Corvettes as an all season option, and the speed rating is W, which is good for 168 mph.

The Avid Ascends are American made. The Contis are made in Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back