Long Lasting All Season Tire Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Longer lasting also means less traction

Yes, if it is Kumho or whatever.
Michelin on other hand keeps initial performance longest of any tire, but you pay for it.

I've gotten 102,000 miles, with 3/32 left on my Yaris Michelin Defenders over the last 3 years with no dry rot or issues at all. My Tacoma Michelin LTX tires have 68,000 miles, with 5/32 left over the last 8 years with no dry rot or issues

My Michelin LTX on F150 have over 70K+ on them in hot Miami and Arizona and north to Michigan crossing the country a few times and no issues. The statement "Best tire value" is something I agree with. And DISAGREE that more wear = less traction. If you want more traction get Michelin Pilots.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I've gotten 102,000 miles, with 3/32 left on my Yaris Michelin Defenders over the last 3 years with no dry rot or issues at all. My Tacoma Michelin LTX tires have 68,000 miles, with 5/32 left over the last 8 years with no dry rot or issues

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
My Michelin LTX on F150 have over 70K+ on them in hot Miami and Arizona and north to Michigan crossing the country a few times and no issues. The statement "Best tire value" is something I agree with. And DISAGREE that more wear = less traction. If you want more traction get Michelin Pilots.

Wow, impressive!

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454

I had Goodyear Tripletreds on a previous car, speed rating never really came up as an issue. They have both T and H rated tires, but the T rated ones had an extra 10k warranty. I thought they were fine and specifically bought the T as they did last longer. I got anywhere from 60-80k on them, I didn't really rotate the tires so was somewhat surprised to find the rears lasted almost 80k and they were still at 4/32's. I'm not a fan big fan of speed rated tires, had a set of Michelin's that just lasted less than 30k, they were Z rated, that's considered good too because other brands sometimes just last 20-25k with that type of speed rating. The higher the speed rating, the softer the tread, you get more traction, but you pay for it in a tire that wears out quicker. If you drive normally and don't need every ounce of performance on the track, a T rated tire would be fine.

Originally Posted By: anl0109
Given the rate at which tires on my 2014 Mazda5 van are wearing, I'll probably need to get a set soon to put on late this year or early next year. Will probably get a set of snows too.

The vehicle was originally equipped with Toyo A20 205/55R16 89H tires that most owners complained about due to noise, fast and uneven wear, etc. My current set -- two Chinese Goodride SP06 tires and two Kelly Edge A/S tires -- was installed by used car dealer that sold the car and has been on since Sep 2015 (17K miles on these tires now). Mazda dealer performed alignment shortly thereafter also. While this odd set is wearing evenly, it's also wearing at the rate of 1/32nds per 5-6K miles which is a bit faster than I expected. (I'm at 7 to 6/32nds now.) I hope that's normal for this speed rating...

Anyway, I understand that I should stick with H-speed rated tires as opposed to going down to T. I intend to stay with stock size as well. Wanted to get some recommendations from forum members for a high quality long-lasting tire available in the US. This is not a performance car so I'm not really drawn to UHP or other expensive options. Would like to get a tire that will last a good while (60K+ miles), wear evenly and provide good grip and decent MPG.

From doing research, here are some H-rated tires that I am considering:
Continental PureContact
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring
General AltiMAX RT43
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
Michelin Defender
I've had good results with the Conti Pure Contact on a Camry, but also with Yoki Avid Ascends.

I go to a local chain now. Before that was the Sears across the mall from there. Town Fair Tire. Latest purchase was a set of the Altimax "all seasons" for the Camry. They have been fine for over a yr. If it can't get around on those, then we can stay home.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The Dunlop Signature II is also worth considering

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
If you want a long lasting all season tire why wouldn't you get t rated?

Many tire shops will not install tires of a lower speed rating than the car originally came with. So if the OE rating is H, they will not install a T-rated tire on that car. The only exception is winter tires.

I would also consider getting the Michelin Premier a/s (H) . They handle a little better than the defenders and are superior in rain, plus traction is good in wet and slushy conditions even when worn. Life is a little shorter than the defenders but still well above your 60K goal. We have them on several cars and have not needed snow tires, but we don't get the same amount of snow in SE MI as in West MI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
I go to a local chain now. Before that was the Sears across the mall from there. Town Fair Tire. Latest purchase was a set of the Altimax "all seasons" for the Camry. They have been fine for over a yr. If it can't get around on those, then we can stay home.
grin2.gif

Is that the one in Hanover? I grew up in Marshfield and got tires from both places. I like the extras that Townfair offers.

130mph vs 118mph? For a van??? In fact, if you look at the Tire Rack, the T rating is for family sedans and vans.

I would say that as long as the tires load rating will be within the vehicles at the pressure you intend to use, I'd say go for it. The handling may differ some though.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
If you want a long lasting all season tire why wouldn't you get t rated?

Because he's been reading too much here, and taking everything as gospel when it's really broad-brush generalizations and outdated data.

This is the true story. So much bias, tons of anecdotal evidence and very little real info. But sometimes you can correlate all the talk into something meaningful.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
From ur list, I would go w the Generals

Yes, thanks. Definitely one of my top choices still.

Last edited:
The General RT43 T rated version has a B temperature rating. Normally I like the T rating since it has a longer mileage warranty. I can monitor the the tire psi via the info screen and the psi does vary quite a bit. The H rated version has an A rating so I would go with that. I think the mileage warranty drops from 80k with the T to 60k.

Also the RT43 has a good ice braking rating via Consumer Reports unlike the Cooper CS5 which gets a low rating. I had great luck with Cooper CS4s and would likely buy a Cooper again.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The General RT43 T rated version has a B temperature rating. Normally I like the T rating since it has a longer mileage warranty. I can monitor the the tire psi via the info screen and the psi does vary quite a bit. The H rated version has an A rating so I would go with that.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I think the mileage warranty drops from 80k with the T to 60k.

Right... based on what I can find it goes from 75K miles to 65K miles. And FWIW, CR expects 65K to be very realistic tread life realistic for the H speed rated tire.

Also the RT43 has a good ice braking rating via Consumer Reports unlike the Cooper CS5 which gets a low rating. I had great luck with Cooper CS4s and would likely buy a Cooper again.

The set of CS5 Ultra's on another vehicle has done well in the snow. I try to stay away from ice and really haven't had the tires long enough to judge ice breaking... but overall they are doing well in the winter. I'm sure RT's will do as well for an A/S tire.

Yes the Ultra and RT43 both received good snow ratings. I have a car without ABS and sometimes get stuck in icy weather so have to factor that in.

If snow is important, and you can't or won't buy a second set of winter tires, consider the Toyo Celsius or Vredestein Quatrac 5. Toyo says the Celsius should be good for 60k.

Otherwise, the Official Tires of BITOG are the RT43 and CS5 Ultra.

The Dunlop Signature II is a good tire worth considering, and also US-made and will probably last 60k as well.

Don't forget about the Yokohama Avid Ascend. Warranty is 75k for H-rated, and they are also American-made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back