Long Idle time, new OCI?

I finished day 2 of my 3rd week on the OCI this morning. I'm officially at 1236 miles and 102 idle hours. According to Ford's calculation, that's 3786 miles equivalent.

I requested a test kit from Blackstone, so I'll get it tested when I change my oil. I'm going to go for a 5000 equivalent and see how it goes.

Fleet average mileage estimates are 48 miles per hour.

So take that +/- a few.

150 hour OCI leads you to approximately 7200 miles. Which I think is pretty conservative assuming you’re running a full synthetic.

125 hours is approximately 6000 miles.

Assuming your numbers are correct, you should be planning on changing your oil approximately every 10-15 working days depending on your exact idling hours.

Anywhere between the 100 to 150 hour marker gives you some flexibility, as you may not be able to change it on an exact day.

I don’t change my oil on mileage anyhow. I drive a lot for work. I change it between 125 and 150 engine hours.
Would it be possible to do extended OCIs with Red Line Oil?

Would it be possible to do extended OCIs with Red Line Oil?

I’m going to find out. I’m about 45 hours into my first oil change with redline. I know this vehicle just had motorcraft syn blend in it last. So I’ll drop the oil at 6000 miles. Then see how long I can go using a vampire and top offs.

I’m going to find out. I’m about 45 hours into my first oil change with redline. I know this vehicle just had motorcraft syn blend in it last. So I’ll drop the oil at 6000 miles. Then see how long I can go using a vampire and top offs.
Awesome!!! Which Red Line did you get?

Awesome!!! Which Red Line did you get?

I had Euro 5w30 in stock, so using that per Redline's recommendations. So I grabbed 2 cases out of the warehouse.

I need to order some SL-1, as apparently we're out of that... Which is disappointing.

Consumer's Reports ran an oil test on a New York taxi fleet in the 80's. They found that long idles times and stop and go driving was not as hard on the engine as most people thought. I wouldn't be to quick to change the oil.

We ran CV's 16 hours a day and two or three days a week the unit rested only long enough to swap gear. Never had an engine failure. We budgeted for an oil change once a month.

Our biggest problem was tires and brakes. And the Ford AOD trans didn't like the way most guys drove them.

Consumer's Reports ran an oil test on a New York taxi fleet in the 80's. They found that long idles times and stop and go driving was not as hard on the engine as most people thought. I wouldn't be to quick to change the oil.
The 80s! ... almost 40 years ago. Engines and operating conditions have changed. I'd give serious consideration to Ford's suggested recommendation of 25 miles per idle hour, at least until better, more current, information becomes available.

Back