Log splitter log catcher

I'm considering getting the log catcher for my county line log splitter, so I can use it horizontally.

It seems they only recommend one side , as it can interfere with the operator area. But would one on each side not be better?

Pics are from last year when I bought it.
IMG_20210328_153247910.jpg

IMG_20210327_185154605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have split a lot of wood on a splitter without a catcher on either side. The catcher would be nice so you don't have to bend down to pick up all the small pieces. I'm not sure how well it would work for large pieces, but it sure would be nice not to have to pick those up off the ground. Anything that makes the job easier. We did everything the hard way when I was a kid.

edit: I just looked at the picture and I'm all for it on one side, but not both. Having one on the side you stand would make the job awkward and you'd be hitting your knee on it trying to get big pieces onto the splitter.

2nd edit: Consider making a guard for the side of the engine. That red switch will get broken off, I'd give it a life expectancy of 10 hours of splitting.

Last edited:
I have split a lot of wood on a splitter without a catcher on either side. The catcher would be nice so you don't have to bend down to pick up all the small pieces. I'm not sure how well it would work for large pieces, but it sure would be nice not to have to pick those up off the ground. Anything that makes the job easier. We did everything the hard way when I was a kid.

edit: I just looked at the picture and I'm all for it on one side, but not both. Having one on the side you stand would make the job awkward and you'd be hitting your knee on it trying to get big pieces onto the splitter.
Thanks!

I just use a 2 wheel wheelbarrow to toss my split wedges in while splitting horizontally. When wheelbarrow is full, I dump it right next to my woodshed stack. Less touching of wood= more better. Unless you like touching wood...lol

On bigger rounds that I can lift, I let one half of the big round drop down carefully by my feet and pick it up and split it after I have splitter the other half.

I have a catcher on the side opposite where you stand while using it horizontally. Makes it much easier to use because after you split a log you can put the piece still needing to be split onto the catcher. Having one on both sides would make using it more awkward.

Here’s mine. I have them on both sides.

The splitter is from orscheln farms, but made by SpeeCo. The sides are made by the same, but didn’t quite fit.

I bought some oversized nuts to use them as spacers and bring the brackets out beyond the beam. Used all grade 8 hardware too just because.
35A64F50-0E86-47F0-9E33-1FD18FB0AD66.jpeg
D0ACCFEA-2C31-4012-B84B-EDD7703AAE38.jpeg
5E29ABBB-D5F1-4560-87E1-65871E988FE3.jpeg

I have the same splitter. my catcher is on the opposite side from the valve handle. Well worth the investment. A picaroon is another good investment.

Back