lockup tourqe converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 01 Chevy Blazer with the 4L60E in it.Right after I bought it I changed the fluid and after that it seemed to take to long to shift to the next gear.Well after driving it for a while the shift points got better and better and now they are at my liking.Guess the computeradjusts to driving style. Anyway the point of my post is about when the tq converter locks up.Every GM 4 speed auto Ive ever driven feels like it actually shifts 5 times witht he 5th being the tq converter locking up .This tranny shifts this way most of the time butmaybe every 10th time it shifts from 3rd to 4th and the tq converter locks up simutaniously.Is it normal for this to occur sometimes or is the computer sending wrong information to the tranny.

with super light throttle my dodge shifts to 4th at 37mph. and locks up the converter at 40. thats only a 3mph difference which i dont like very much.

Yeah mine is like one shift sometimes.It seems to do it when I start off kinda hard and then let out of it once it shifts to 3rd.When it shifts from 3rd to 4th and it does it the speed is around 55mph.I guess it knows its going fast enough when it shifts to 4th to lock up the tq converter at the same time.

That trans should have a pulse width modulated lockup. Sometimes you will feel the converter lock, especially under any signifigant amount of throttle. At low throttle demand the lockup can occur in 3rd as well as 4th, and it can lock up so gradually it is hard to detect. Things like temperature will also determine shift/lockup feel to an extent.

I don't think there is a problem.

Quote:

That trans should have a pulse width modulated lockup. Sometimes you will feel the converter lock, especially under any signifigant amount of throttle. At low throttle demand the lockup can occur in 3rd as well as 4th, and it can lock up so gradually it is hard to detect. Things like temperature will also determine shift/lockup feel to an extent.

I don't think there is a problem.

I was thinking the same thing Punisher. I'm not sure when PWM was added to the 4L60E, my 2005 had it. It can give a 'slip' type feeling as opposed to the full on/full off thud of a solenoid actuated lockup. My new 4T45E has PWM'd lockup, the only way I can tell it going into/out of lockup is by listening to the exhaust note or by watching the tach.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back