Locking fuel tank cap

maybe why they are borderline useless or just proving the adage that "locks are for honest people"

case in point.. locking fuel tank cap on my auxiliary tank.
won't unlock. just spins.

one pipe wrench over the top and key end of fuelcap breaks right off
and the threaded portion spins out without tools.

faster than using the key. :(

IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG

Last one where had I lost the key, I just ran a wood screw through it locking the two pieces together.

Most locking gas caps are cheap junk nowadays, easily beaten by just about anyone. Haven't seen one yet that was worth a darn.
Hopefully my incendiary comment above will prompt someone to link a decent locking gas cap that actually works.

Last few work trucks I've had don't even have a gas cap anymore, or even a pull lever inside the cab. Just a simple push and pull fuel door. I don't like it, theft aside, there should be a real cap on there.

Last few work trucks I've had don't even have a gas cap anymore, or even a pull lever inside the cab. Just a simple push and pull fuel door. I don't like it, theft aside, there should be a real cap on there.
yeah, the stock tank on the Ram has the capless system, but this is the auxiliary tank.

It seems to me that American made cars don't have locking fuel doors....am I wrong? And why wouldn't they?

I have heard one cannot siphon fuel like they could in the old days, but seems all foreign vehicles have locking doors.

By the way, didn't want to start a new thread. I get my gas at Costco in NJ, so full service.

I was watching recently, and thinking, what's taking so long? How come the attendant can't just turn it to one click and be done?

Well, I tried at home, and the cap had a super high amount of resistance, and virtually no click. I didn't know because I don't pump my own gas much.

Jumped on eBay and got a Toyota/Lexus OE cap for $23 shipped (not much savings maybe $2). Now, there is a light resistance to put it on, and a solid/springy click. Very satisfying.

Then, I decided lemme check my wife's GM. Very very weak click (2011 car). So I got a new GM OE as well. An amazon buyer had a great review and tip, on how to remove the tether (I love getting tips as opposed to inventing the wheel). He said he pushed it up the left side, clipped it with scissors, voila. The Toyota simply buttons into the gas door, but the GM drops down somewhere the way that fuel overflows.

Now, both our cars have new gas caps. The garage queen is probably ok.

I always felt that a locking cap wasn't to keep thieves out, it was to keep them from putting something other than fuel in.
When I was a teenager I had a friend that put grass in the gas tank of my goped scooter. That was always my thinking. Someone siphoning the fuel out won't hurt nothing, but some kid walking by dumping who knows what as a joke would

When I was a teenager I had a friend that put grass in the gas tank of my goped scooter. That was always my thinking. Someone siphoning the fuel out won't hurt nothing, but some kid walking by dumping who knows what as a joke would
Introducing granulated sugar used to be a thing.

Had a friend that did that to his dad's car. Supposedly it's supposed to caramalize inside the engine but all it did was burn up the fuel pump.
I heard sugar in the fuel tank isn't the way to destroy someone's car, water is. Plus I heard that Bar's Leaks makes a version of Jardiance, now, only for cars

Good point in which that $10 locking cap now costs you a fuel tank and/or hose +labor
I figure if someone does that to the one on my truck it gives me a good reason to get one of the S&B 70gal tanks. I had debated taking the cat off my truck purely to keep some hack from sawzalling it off.

It seems to me that American made cars don't have locking fuel doors....am I wrong? And why wouldn't they?

I have heard one cannot siphon fuel like they could in the old days, but seems all foreign vehicles have locking doors.

By the way, didn't want to start a new thread. I get my gas at Costco in NJ, so full service.

I was watching recently, and thinking, what's taking so long? How come the attendant can't just turn it to one click and be done?

Well, I tried at home, and the cap had a super high amount of resistance, and virtually no click. I didn't know because I don't pump my own gas much.

Jumped on eBay and got a Toyota/Lexus OE cap for $23 shipped (not much savings maybe $2). Now, there is a light resistance to put it on, and a solid/springy click. Very satisfying.

Then, I decided lemme check my wife's GM. Very very weak click (2011 car). So I got a new GM OE as well. An amazon buyer had a great review and tip, on how to remove the tether (I love getting tips as opposed to inventing the wheel). He said he pushed it up the left side, clipped it with scissors, voila. The Toyota simply buttons into the gas door, but the GM drops down somewhere the way that fuel overflows.

Now, both our cars have new gas caps. The garage queen is probably ok.
Only Ford in my experience have this. Hated it as people may add stuff to your tank instead of stealing your fuel.

This thread makes me wonder…do screws really just lodge themselves at the very edge of the tire like we just had happen…. 😂

This thread makes me wonder…do screws really just lodge themselves at the very edge of the tire like we just had happen…. 😂
Yes happens ti me all the time. I have a go to guy that fixes it if you pay cash so I don't have to buy a new tire.

Back