Locked up engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given an older Craftsman snowblower the other day, 10-15yrs old, 8hp 26". Pretty good shape for the age. It was locked up solid. The first thing I did when picking it up was check the oil. Just as I thought, it was run low on oil. It barely registered on the stick and was dirt black. I added 8ozs of mmo and T6 to the sump. I removed the plug, warmed up some MMO, squirted into cylinder and let it sit for an hour. Clamped a vise grip onto the crank, tapped it a few times and it started to move. After getting it to move freely, I went through the carb and gave it a whirl. It took a few pulls but fired up and ran good. Will be doing a couple mmo cleanings of the sump to get the crud out. A little normal maintenance and it should be a good freebe. Just thought I would share what I did for a siezed motor.

Thats a fine job sir,
I shake your hand.

I love people who dont give up.

Thank god it doesnt have all the moving parts as auto engine or connecting rod or something wouldve [censored] out by now.

Stay dirty.

What oil do you plan to run in it? A quick link to a YouTube video would be nice.

Congrats on getting her running again, and hahahaha to all of the MMO haters. :p

I had my fingers crossed when it started up. So far so good!!! I am going to use T6 for the oil fill. Needs a few springs and I see the pulley on the auger shaft is a bit out of balance. So far all I have into it is about 5 gallons of gas to pick it up and bring it home. Sorry I am not much on posting you tube videos. I am a believer in mmo.

Last edited:
I use MMO regularly!
smile.gif
Got an old '65 BMW motor cycle engine moving again with MMO. Took a while but, after rolling it down the driveway several times and popping the clutch, it finaly freed up the engine. Took more to get it started though! Finaly rebuilt the whole engine & carb with a buddy(more him than me)
smile.gif

Last edited:
The only thing I would suggest is an oil change to make sure nothing broke when motor locked up. A few years back I was given an old lawn mower in the same condition as your snowblower. Did the very same thing with MMO. She fired up and ran for a bit then locked up tight as a drum again. I took the motor apart and discovered that the oil slinger was made of plastic and had broken causing oil starvation which is what locked the motor up to begin with. When I drained the oil before taking it apart, little pieces of plastic came out with the oil.

Like you, I love MMO and have used it for countless repairs including oiling the bearings one time on a frozen computer hard drive, (used a stick pin and put one tiny drop on hard drive bearings). Worked long enough for me to get all my info and files off the drive before it died.

I am going to drain the mmo cocktail today and give it another. Probably going to do that two more times.

My brother has done the exact same thing to many OPE engines he was given or found. It works like a champ. He lost only one engine in about 10 or so in the last 5 +/- years, that engine had a broken crankshaft IIRC. LOL

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
What oil do you plan to run in it? A quick link to a YouTube video would be nice.

Congrats on getting her running again, and hahahaha to all of the MMO haters. :p

This is the only use for MMO in my mind. I have some MMO and have used it in engines that had not been run for years. Even if the engine was not seized it would better lubricate the rings and cylinder wall during initial cranking.

A great use for MMO!

I bought 6 chainsaws at yard sales this past Fall and saved two of them with MMO.

My favorite is my 1974 Poulan XX with a Magnesium case. Awesome little 14" trail saw for my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My brother has done the exact same thing to many OPE engines he was given or found. It works like a champ. He lost only one engine in about 10 or so in the last 5 +/- years, that engine had a broken crankshaft IIRC. LOL

Its funny, on the one hand you hear stories like this ALL the time (and its been my experience that its almost impossible to kill any halfway-decent OPE).

Then there are all the stories about, "Crummy mower engine didn't last a whole year, now it won't start, spews smoke, sounds funny....." whatever the problem.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

This is the only use for MMO in my mind. I have some MMO and have used it in engines that had not been run for years. Even if the engine was not seized it would better lubricate the rings and cylinder wall during initial cranking.

I have used MMO as a "shut-down flood" for car engines that I planned to store for extended periods. I run the engine up to temp, then trickle MMO down the carb until its fogging blue clouds out the exhaust, then until it ultimately stalls. Then, I fill the carb float bowls with MMO, displacing the gasoline so that they don't evaporate dry and leave sticky gas residue.

The last car I did that way was my 450,000 mile 73 Satellite in about 2006. When I gave it away last fall, the only things I did were put fresh gas in the tank, put in a new battery, take it down off blocks (under the suspension, not the body) and squirt a few shots of gasoline into the carb float vents (Carter Themrmoquad, by the way- a tricky carb to store under any conditions). It fired up after about 10 seconds of cranking, finished blowing a ton of blue smoke, and then settled down to an idle like I'd started it the week before. Drove it to the gas station for a complete fill-up and a run through the car wash, then on to its new owner.

I did a MMO "piston soak" on a seized small block GM boat V8 for 2 weeks after my neighbor had given up and was going to replace the engine. Rolled the engine over 20-30 times with a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut.

Re-installed the plugs, belts and shot some ether in the TB and that thing fired right up. The smoke cloud looked like Hiroshima.

Changed the oil twice and that guy never had another problem with it.

BTW, I used an old windex bottle to shoot the MMO in the spark plug holes. Messy but it worked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog

BTW, I used an old windex bottle to shoot the MMO in the spark plug holes. Messy but it worked.

Hardly anybody keeps an oil can around anymore...
wink.gif

I've got one almost identical to this, plus a couple of these. They get messy just sitting there- they seem to weep oil and get sticky, but at least they squirt it exactly where aimed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back