Location of AC clutch relay '02 Sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I am not THAT dumb. I know about the two fuse/relay boxes under the hood near the battery and my online searches tell me that that is where it's supposed to be.

But when I pull off the covers and look at the reference diagrams there's nothing that says "AC clutch" or "magnetic clutch" or any abbreviations similar to anything like that.

I've also looked for a white relay housing (most references seem to say that it is that color) and at various part numbers of the relays that are there and none of them seem to match.
So, here I am. Anyone?

According to my diagrams......Manual A/C equipped vehicle don't use a Clutch Relay, While Auto systems do. Of course this could be wrong.

If equipped.....It will be in Relay Box #8 at the right rear of the engine compartment, Labeled MG CLT Relay.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by clinebarger
According to my diagrams......Manual A/C equipped vehicle don't use a Clutch Relay, While Auto systems do. Of course this could be wrong.

If equipped.....It will be in Relay Box #8 at the right rear of the engine compartment, Labeled MG CLT Relay.

[Linked Image]

Well, they sell a relay for my year car. Would they put two different types of systems in the same year car?
Still, thank you for the answer, I will look for that box.

Do you have automated climate control or manual?

I recall a long time ago puzzling on this a bit, too. We have a 2003 Lexus and with the automated CC, the clutch relay is defective. If you are wrestling with the known defective relay, I believe if you check the diagram it is the one labeled "M/C." I don't have the car with me right now to go check or I would. If you don't have automatic climate control, it may not apply,

Well, they sell a relay for my year car. Would they put two different types of systems in the same year car?

Money. It's called money. People pay for options, so they install what's paid for. ACC may have been an option on the 2002 Sienna. Or maybe they all came with manual; not sure. BUT - parts references are not infallible and just because it's listed as applicable to your car at Autozone or RockAuto, does not mean it's actually so. Many parts are categorized by body group or common engine - so since the 2002 Sienna shares a lot of those with many other Toy/lex products, there's no guarantee an aftermarket a parts catalog is definitive.

What is the price of said relay ? If it is priced like the A/C relays on my personal GM vehicles , just buy a relay and start swapping it . Process of elimination .

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Do you have automated climate control or manual?

I recall a long time ago puzzling on this a bit, too. We have a 2003 Lexus and with the automated CC, the clutch relay is defective. If you are wrestling with the known defective relay, I believe if you check the diagram it is the one labeled "M/C." I don't have the car with me right now to go check or I would. If you don't have automatic climate control, it may not apply,

Money. It's called money. People pay for options, so they install what's paid for. ACC may have been an option on the 2002 Sienna. Or maybe they all came with manual; not sure. BUT - parts references are not infallible and just because it's listed as applicable to your car at Autozone or RockAuto, does not mean it's actually so. Many parts are categorized by body group or common engine - so since the 2002 Sienna shares a lot of those with many other Toy/lex products, there's no guarantee an aftermarket a parts catalog is definitive.

Mine is manual climate control. But that's what I'm saying, when I look into the two known relay boxes I don't see any abbreviation that could possibly relate to that. No abbreviation for "air conditioning" or "magnetic clutch". No AC or MC or mgCLT or anything of the sort.

And I can't see anything on the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment that looks like a fuse or relay box of any sort.
But why they would take it out of one of those two main relay boxes, when it seems to be there in every other configuration or model from around that time, is beyond me.

I guess I'm just gonna to have to truck on down to the dealership and ask their service guys.

According to my diagrams.....The Compressor Clutch is controlled by the HVAC Amplifier on 2002 Sienna's with manual A/C.
Could my diagrams be wrong....Sure they could!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back