Local Convenience Store Prices

Local Large Convenience Store Prices. Just thought it was interesting.

Peak Conventional - $3.99
(5W-30)

Pennzoil Conventional - $4.99
(5W-30, 10W-30 & 10W-40)

Pennzoil High Mileage - $6.99
(5W-30 & 10W-30)

Peak Synthetic - $7.99
(5W-20, 5W-30)

Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic - $10.99
(5W-20, 5W-30)

Mobil 1 Synthetic - $10.99
(0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40)

I thought the Mobil 1 choices were kind of interesting (considering this is not an area that sees subzero during an average winter). Seems like they did a good job of having at least one option for most people assuming you don't need a 50 or straight 30 and none of the choices were the shady kind.

A local convenience store had a good supply of PQIA rejects a few years ago. Now there is M1 and some WW off brand.

No one on BITOG paying those prices, were stocked for years already.

Opportunistic pricing for top offs for "non bitog'rs" which is actuality is the whole world. lol

They're called "convenience" stores for a reason.

Remember this too, people pay those prices or they wouldn't mark them at those amounts. I don't see the issue...

And the people buying that oil won't know they can mix a conventional with a synthetic in a pinch. Some will buy the most expensive oil there.

I guess they carry 0w-20, because a lot of cars say that on the oil cap nowadays, and 0w-40 is for Eurocars, I don't quite get 0w-30 though, I'd expect 5w-30 over 0w-30/

Some 7-11 in Dallas area have Lucas full syn motor oil for $6 a qt. Not bad if in a pinch to top off IMO

But IIRC its not SN+ just regular SN ??

Dave

They're called "convenience" stores for a reason.

Remember this too, people pay those prices or they wouldn't mark them at those amounts. I don't see the issue...
Haha, I see a lot of dust on items like the $10.99/qt oil at my local supermarket/convenience stores. They are in the style of bottles/labels from about 2010! Anyone buying oil in the convenience stores is buying the cheapest there is, I think their $11 Mobil1 is there simply to make the $4 no-name conventional look like a reasonable price... Want to look better, stand next to an ugly friend!

Haha, I see a lot of dust on items like the $10.99/qt oil at my local supermarket/convenience stores. They are in the style of bottles/labels from about 2010! Anyone buying oil in the convenience stores is buying the cheapest there is, I think their $11 Mobil1 is there simply to make the $4 no-name conventional look like a reasonable price... Want to look better, stand next to an ugly friend!

All I looked at were SN+ except the M1 0W-40. They didn't look particularly antiquated. When I said "Large Convenience Store" the place has like 30 Fuel Islands so I suspect they do a higher volume than most.

People that buy oil in convenience stores are desperate because their car outside is either low or out and everything else is closed. The stores know this.

Just like the tow truck operators that camp out at the top of mountain passes or the gas station with the sign “Next Gas 200 Miles”.

The Atkins store out in Charles City county west of me sells oil for rather good prices...

$2.99 for Cam2 Superpromax semi synthetic

$2.99 Formula Shell per 1 qt container and 80 cents cheaper quart vs Home Depot.

$3.19 a quart for Coastal semi synthetic

$3.19 a quart for Dex Merc Cam2

$3.99 for Havoline DS

$9.99 a gallon for Peak 10x coolant

Those are rather reasonable considering it is a convenience store.

And they have real homemade carrot cake that is quite awesome...

People that buy oil in convenience stores are desperate because their car outside is either low or out and everything else is closed. The stores know this.

Just like the tow truck operators that camp out at the top of mountain passes or the gas station with the sign “Next Gas 200 Miles”.
Given those choices, Peak at $4 is no worse than anything else (other than a 42 oz. soda) that you'd buy in a c-store.

Back