Loading certain web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my old computer refurbished, just for web surfing, and am having trouble loading certain web pages/sites, like CNN and EBAY. Other sites load ok. I havent done an extensive look to see what does or doesnt load. In fact I dont even know if this site loads. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted?

What browser are you using and do you have Java enabled? There are many sites that use the latest features from Microsoft, and many non IE browsers won't work.

I am having trouble with Petsmart's site. Petco's works fine. Where should I shop?

I got along fine without any websites until 1998. Chances are, I will manage to do without the ones the geeks built that will only load on their carefully tweaked, state of the art computers. Years ago I read an article in Forbes suggesting top executives try loading their web site on their computer at home rather than the one at work maintained by the IT department.

I don't have Shockwave or Flash, and don't intend to.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
what's wrong with flash and shockwave?

90+% of the time it's unecessary **** that adds no value and slows things down.

The same SFBs that use a lot of Flash also usually do crappy website design and make it more difficult to find useful information. They do that because their first objectives are to wow and entertain.

I agree with your sentiments, but until these web designers get around to modernizing their websites it's a neccesary evil. There are still Big sites that block "non-approved" browsers. NAPAonline.com works fine with firefox, but if you use Konqueror (or other browsers) it tells you to get IE or Netscape.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I agree with your sentiments, but until these web designers get around to modernizing their websites it's a neccesary evil. There are still Big sites that block "non-approved" browsers. NAPAonline.com works fine with firefox, but if you use Konqueror (or other browsers) it tells you to get IE or Netscape.
rolleyes.gif

What's really needed is for the web authors and browser companies to follow the W3C standards enough to make their sites accesable to anyone with a W3C compliant browser.

If a browser company wants to add features than aren't compliant and web designer want's to prevent potential customers from viewing his site in all it's glory, that's OK, but a website should operate at some useable level with any standards compiant browser.

My other website grip is websites that concentrate on the business aspects of the company and they hide or don't have product information. A choice between product information and company information should be very prominent on their first page. If I'm looking for a left handed widget, I don't give a rats rear end about the egos of the company management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back