Little experiment with Light bodied Solvents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever read the book Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. The use of chlorinated hydrocarbons which doesn't break down prompted the forming of the EPA which regulates pesticidal use in this country. Bad stuff..I hear a lot of race car drivers use this stuff and it works wonders..Not good...

It will be out soon. I am not too worried about it. I know too many people that have had engines last for 150,000 miles or more inspite of their use of MMO every oil change.My AP mechanic has used it for 12 years in his Ford Tempo with no engine problems at all. These guys added a whole quart ever oil change. I only added aproimately a cup or 8 onces. I am changeing the oil out at 3000 miles wich will make for a total of 2000 mile sof MMO exposure. I am sure it will be ok. I can not imagine the oil not being able to nuetralize that little bit of chlorinated compounds as they form acid.

I once used MMO to refill my powersteering system after an emergency repair in some Georgia swamps. I was out 4Wheeling and had a low pressure line repture. All I had was MMO. I put most of the bottle in. I never drained and refilled. About 10 years latter the pump failed and I refilled with Dex II when I put a junk yard pump on. The rest of the system is still going strong. It never did oxidize. THe things we do when we are young and dumb!!!

I have to admitt that I would not have put it in their had I known it had chlorinated compounds in it. I also would not routinely add benzene chlorinated or not to an oil!

I guess I will have to repeat this exercise with Nuetra 131 once I order some.

On a positive note the oil looks as good nearing 3000 as it did when I put it in. THe engine is behaveing just fine. THe oil pressure is fine and no odd noises!

Mamala Bay it is to late for me!! I have already been over exposed to industrial solvents. Tri-Chlor was a daily item to be exposed to so was tolulene, benzens etc........ I really do not worry to much about they things anymore. I am no longer exposed to them daily and any damage that was going to be done has already been done! It is unavoidable that Automotice Tech.'s must come in contact with stron solvents so do body guy!

For what it is worth I am very protective of my childeren keeping them away from any type of chemical exposure!!! I dis-rope at the door and carry my clothes to the washing machine and get cleaned up before I will touch them or go into the common areas of my home!!!

[ May 16, 2004, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Sorry John your the man with the experience, I'm just an apprentice in auto mechanics...Know more of Pesticides...I too have been expose to much Pesticide and very weary of kids being expose to any type of chemicals.

I love MMO for an old beater... I have had big improvements on older cars with dirty fuel systems/oil systems. Made an 88 caddy d'elegance idle like it wasnt running again!

Would never run it in my LS1 though, only lucas UCL

JB,

I believe the net result here, that is, why the oil is showing higher on the dipstick, is because the MMO is lowering the density of the resulting oil. Anytime you lower the density, more volume is required.

In tests with LC, we never saw a change in oil density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back