Lisle filter wrenches?? Oil filter stuck;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one heard of or can direct me to an oil filter wrench that works for the little buggers that are on honda's and Nissan's now. Something besides a screwdriver. The particular filters are Wix 51365, 51356, Puro14610, M1 1010. Lisle makes two one 2 1/2" to 3 1/8" and another 3 1/8" to IDK. Please forgive my incompetence but what do those measurements mean? They surely aren't the diameter of the filter. Which one should I pick up, or maybe someone knows of better ones. I just brought up these Lisles because they had a lot of good reviews on Amazon. No specific cars mentioned though. Thanks!

CollegeHillsHonda lists the cap wrench as a 65mm wrench for the OEM Honda filter (same size as Wix 51356). I have a cap wrench like this. I believe "F" is the correct size (like the one I linked) but to be sure you should check against a filter at the store.

Downside is you need a wrench for each different sized filter you have -- I have 3 of them. I've never used any of the adjustable or variable sized ones but I'm sure they'd work too.

Last edited:
Do you have enough room for a band/strap wrench? If you havent done so,go to yor favorite parts store and see what options are available.If you can get a band or strap wrench,they can usually fit several filters in a certain range.

Strap/Band Wrenches

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
but what do those measurements mean? They surely aren't the diameter of the filter.

Yeah, that is the diameter of what filters that wrench was designed to work with. Your application will dictate what style of wrench will work best. I am not familiar with your application so I don't know what sytle would work best.

You should see the new Toyotas, they're even worse. They have a "clock" canister, with nothing to really latch into. I use a huge pair of Channel-Lock jaw pliers to remove it. The amount of torque it took to remove was incredible- I would say in the 160 ft-lb range- I was starting to worry about bending the oil pan. I wouldn't want these disposable cartridge filters, I can't imagine them filtering nearly as well as an M1 filter.

-Techniker

IMO the plier type oil filter wrench works best for over-tightened filters. Grip with wrench with both hands and turn CCW. Most likely you'll end up crushing the filter case a bit. You can get these from Harbor Freight Tools for less than $5; they have two sizes, the smaller size works for most applications.

The strap type and cap type will just slip.

Last edited:
Here's what it looks like.

Filter_Wrench.jpg

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
IMO the plier type oil filter wrench works best for over-tightened filters. Grip with wrench with both hands and turn CCW. Most likely you'll end up crushing the filter case a bit. You can get these from Harbor Freight Tools for less than $5; they have two sizes, the smaller size works for most applications.

The strap type and cap type will just slip.

This looks like a good tool, but it would not work on my Tacoma. The dang filter is mounted straight up under the engine with zero side space, so there's no way to get any side leverage on the filter. Before I got the Lisle I mentioned above, I was using a strap wrench, but it was a big struggle every time.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Lisle wrench in case I ever run into a filter nestled tight in the engine. It received some good reviews on Amazon.

I think I went to either pepboys or walmart, and just picked up a 14610 filter and stuck a few filter cap type wrenches on to see which one fit just right. For my 03 CRV, Ive used the cap, plus a 3" extension on the end of a ratchet. I guess if it were really stuck, I'd put on a longer breaker bar.

I like the channellock idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back