LiquiMoly MoS2 effect on Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of it is O.K. in splash lubed ODPE. Like my Chonda powered Generac.

I will recommend against LM MoS2 in pressure lubed engine with full flow filtration.

I found a few drops make a good penetrating oil when taking my Gas Oven ignitor bracket apart :)

Fell for the heavy hype on here a decade ago, and my Honda Fit sport engine suffered terribly.
This made me quite unhappy for being the gullible fool - and really knowing better
Correlation, causation, coincidence? Can't say.
What happened that your engine "suffered terribly"? Lots of folks use MoS2 without issue. I've never heard of any issues stemming from running it per the instructions/dose rate.

IMHO, if you think your application requires “boosting”, save your money and buy a better oil rather than dumping random additives in.

But the good news is, your engine is far more positively impacted by the fact that you 1. Use an oil that meets the required specs, and 2. Change it at the recommended frequency, than it ever will be by dumping additional additives in with the oil. You can take that to the bank.
I'm in total agreement. If you want moly, buy an oil that has more of it or better quality moly. IMO, a fully formulated oil from a major producer is always a better choice than dumping in a bottle of additive that will have an unknown effect on the oil in the engine. I would say to change the oil at an appropriate interval rather than the recommended frequency, although they could be the same interval.

There are several threads in the additive sub-forum on MoS2 as well as some of my UOAs when I've run MoS2 in the UOA sub-forum you can search on title for "MoS2" to help answer your questions or at least provide lively discussion on the topic.

View attachment 122317
Another Home Run! LMAO thanks.... I can recall almost wetting my pants watching that movie n hurting from laughing with my two sons when they were still living at home. Actually one of the ONLY things he did that I liked. "OMG! What a goof I am, look it. Her name "Samsonite" it's engraved right here on her bag!"

The only harm I could see coming from using MoS2 would be it agglomerating and collecting in the filter, prematurely loading the filter. It's possible the solid particles may have some interaction issues with the liquid Mo in boundary areas that may prohibit the liquid Mo from breaking down as effectively as it should but that's purely theory in my head with no basis whatsoever.

mos2 is like pouring bearing balls in hallway, under people´s feet.
you must have big amount, so that people cannot avoid stepping to clean floor...by kicking balls away, of sliding on them (and yelling swear words :ROFLMAO: ) also balls must be small enough to fit under feet flawlessly.
sliding engine parts are basically same principle. modern engine has small tolerances, you may just push the particles away from surfaces, doing no benefit.

you must have big amount, so that people cannot avoid stepping to clean floor...by kicking balls away, of sliding on them (and yelling swear words :ROFLMAO: ) also balls must be small enough to fit under feet flawlessly.
sliding engine parts are basically same principle. modern engine has small tolerances, you may just push the particles away from surfaces, doing no benefit.
From where did this science originate?

What frustrates is like with foods or drinks .... coffee is great for you, ah... NO, coffee is bad for you! Eggs are great food ... NO , eggs will kill you.

Its almost the same when it comes to vehicles and motor oils + additives n been that way for a long time now.
As soon as someone tells us you need more Detergent, Moly , Boron , Calcium etc. or your oil needs this or that certification which seem to change as often as we change socks , well then .... BOOM, here comes a new story / article or rant telling us that these things are NOT good to use because they will......

Now take those ball bearings, break them down to 0.1-0.5 um in size, disperse them in mineral oil, and pour it over a layer of ice in the hallway to somewhat resemble MoDTC.

When I read all the concerns about this $7 additive I always think....don't folks think that LM has done the work/R&D to ensure this won't cause any issues/harm to their engines? Again...I can see the argument that it may not really be doing much w/r to friction modification but the concerns about filtration, oil pressure, and all the other things folks go on about in these threads based on 100% speculation are completely unfounded. If this stuff caused issues, you would have heard about it by now b/c there is one thing folks do with the internet/social media when something goes wrong with a product/service....they complain about it.

When I read all the concerns about this $7 additive I always think....don't folks think that LM has done the work/R&D to ensure this won't cause any issues/harm to their engines? Again...I can see the argument that it may not really be doing much w/r to friction modification but the concerns about filtration, oil pressure, and all the other things folks go on about in these threads based on 100% speculation are completely unfounded. If this stuff caused issues, you would have heard about it by now b/c there is one thing folks do with the internet/social media when something goes wrong with a product/service....they complain about it.
Ok so they did some basic testing, all companies do, we hope. Having said that issues with the product have been brought up, by some pretty bright, accomplished and well respected members here and on other sites. Just because you're not reading about engines blowing up with it in the sump doesn't indicate the product is doing the engine any good.

Reactions: a5m
Ok so they did some basic testing, all companies do, we hope. Having said that issues with the product have been brought up, by some pretty bright, accomplished and well respected members here and on other sites. Just because you're not reading about engines blowing up with it in the sump doesn't indicate the product is doing the engine any good.
You just said what I did - the argument is about whether it's adding value as a friction modifier, not whether it's blowing your engine up. The stuff has been around forever. It's widely used in the Euro BMW/Merc/VW/Audi community. Never a peep. Focus on discussing whether it reduces friction, not whether it's clogging filters, settling/not coming back into suspension after reasonable use, etc. and all the other boogie-man stuff BITOGers are famous for w/r to any additives.

You just said what I did - the argument is about whether it's adding value as a friction modifier, not whether it's blowing your engine up. The stuff has been around forever. It's widely used in the Euro BMW/Merc/VW/Audi community. Never a peep. Focus on discussing whether it reduces friction, not whether it's clogging filters, settling/not coming back into suspension after reasonable use, etc. and all the other boogie-man stuff BITOGers are famous for w/r to any additives.
No need for me to focus on anything. Members like MolaKule and a few others I respect weighed in on it numerous times over the years. They've also stated MoDTC is much better suited in engine oil than MoS2. It seems the oil companies agree, so the way I see it the product has little to no value as an oil additive. It might plug up a leak, that's about the only value I see. But hey I guess we can agree to disagree, and as always opinions will vary. I'm going with the opinions of our resident experts on this one.

What happened that your engine "suffered terribly"? Lots of folks use MoS2 without issue. I've never heard of any issues stemming from running it per the instructions/dose rate.
Lost power got noisy never recovered. I racked it up to a plugged filter, but the mechanism will remain unknown.

Here is a round-a-bout argument against.
No major formulator includes dispersed solids MoS2
in their certified motor oils. Even with extreme pressure to provide improved F.E.

I would bet bad money that doped oil wont past TEOST 33
as high PPM MoDTC fail as well and get a reprieve in lightweight oils

Attachments

• 19D5642A-3C1C-464B-86BC-7012EE91881F.jpeg
    19D5642A-3C1C-464B-86BC-7012EE91881F.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 17
I used it, in 3 cars, not much difference in running was observed, I'd say it's not worth it actually.
On the other hand I tried Ceratec in the same 3 cars with at least 2 oil changes in between (so MOS2 should be gone by then) and noticed difference in all 3 cars - much smoother and quieter engines.

These additives were made separately and not formulated in a finished product for a reason. And if one takes a few moments to think about it, over the life of an engine, you may never come to see their "theoretical" potential of "wear reduction" realized on the ground, add to that the cost that will not be anywhere near effective and worthwhile to justify the subjective observations of "smooth" and "quiet". Disturbing the chemical balance of a formulation is a wrong practice that will more than likely offset the cost paid to satisfy a couple of subjective observations that many good oils are more than capable of achieving on their own without help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back