Liqui-Moly 2770...what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, my 98 E36 M3's lifters started to make a racket. I had ordered the Liqui-Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive, but it took more than a month to ship, I switched to 5w50 and all seems well now, besides Vanos thumping.

But anywho, since my lifters are nice and quiet now, I don't really see a need to add this. Mainly because I'm not sure what it is / does.

Does anyone know, or have a report on the actual contents? I've used their MOS52 before, but this is not it. I can only assume it's not just a slightly heavier weight oil, like Lucas products seem to be.

I've googled, and couldn't find a thing.

Originally Posted By: Noroxus
Long story short, my 98 E36 M3's lifters started to make a racket. I had ordered the Liqui-Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive, but it took more than a month to ship, I switched to 5w50 and all seems well now, besides Vanos thumping.

But anywho, since my lifters are nice and quiet now, I don't really see a need to add this. Mainly because I'm not sure what it is / does.

Does anyone know, or have a report on the actual contents? I've used their MOS52 before, but this is not it. I can only assume it's not just a slightly heavier weight oil, like Lucas products seem to be.

I've googled, and couldn't find a thing.

Here's the MSDS for this product. It's not very revealing, but it appears that this additive is mostly 'thin oil' and maybe some solvent. You may have accomplished the same result by switching to 5w-50 or maybe just by doing an oil change. What weight oil were you using before?

Here's the Product Information Sheet - again, not super informative. There is no mention of MoS2 in the mix, but there is a cryptic warning that it is not suitable for use in motorcycles with a wet clutch (a classic MoS2 no-no).

I'd just stick with the 5W50 and not use any additives. What oil were you using before and what are you using now,Edge 5W50?

Originally Posted By: Noroxus
I switched to 5w50 and all seems well now, besides Vanos thumping.

Out of curiosity - What oil were you previously running, and which 5w-50 did you switch to?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd just stick with the 5W50 and not use any additives. What oil were you using before and what are you using now,Edge 5W50?

this is a very smart recommendation by a smart man. I would listen to this post for sure. I am not an additive guy at all and isn't 10w60 spec'd for that engine?

Long story short, I bought the M3, all was fine. It developed a lifter tick, which I unfortunately did not notice for a bit. It was running on very low oil, below the safe point. Somehow quite a bit had dropped. Don't ask me how, it hasn't dropped since.

It had M1 0w40 in it, I changed it to Rotella T6 5w40, ran around 1600 miles on it, lifters still ticked away. There were some other symptoms, sometimes revving the engine up would quiet it down, sometimes letting it idle would. Nothing consistent.

I just switched it to Castrol Edge 5w50...not my first choice. I could really use a 0w50, as it clatters for a second or two and the oil light comes on at start at times, but the Mobile 0w50 was not recommended for street use by quite a few here from what I read.

And no, 10w60 is for the...E46 I believe. Not for the E36.

Thanks for the advice, bit of a bummer it's here and not going to use it...but eh, least I have it.

^^^You could also try the Mobil 1 5W-50 when it goes on sale (for $5.99/quart) at NAPA stores every three months or so.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^You could also try the Mobil 1 5W-50 when it goes on sale (for $5.99/quart) at NAPA stores every three months or so.
wink.gif

Unfortunately, that's way too heavy of a 5w for me. The 80ish of the Castrol is even too heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back