Liqui Moly 10W-40 Leichtlauf MoS2; 5,5k mi OCI; 1993 Merc 4.2L

Car driven 80% hwy/20% suburban streets. Very few short trips. Never bumper-to-bumper traffic where I live. I break speed regime all the time :)

Zero oil consumption

Reason for fuel in the oil is due to, I think, an inherent issue with distributor ignition on my car. When it hasn't been used for several+ weeks, moisture accumulates inside those distributors and causes surging and misfire for the first 20-30 minutes of driving. Car has spent 3 months hibernating during snow season with this oil and missed/surged on the first drive for half an hour. I put an additional 1,500 - 2,000 miles after waking it up. Oil sample was taken after 2 hour highway drive

Here's a link to VOA of this same oil:

Screenshot_20220518-191605.png

Looks OK. Lotta vis. Wonder how it would do with a 10w-30?

I think 10,000 miles is completely feasible with a modern semisynthetic as long as there's a lot of highway driving and no issues with fuel dilution, which in my case is due to distributor ignition system's specific inherent issue.

As to 10W30 - I need a HTHS of 3.5 or more. There are 5W30 oils that have it, but I don't know of any 10W30

I think 10,000 miles is completely feasible with a modern semisynthetic as long as there's a lot of highway driving and no issues with fuel dilution, which in my case is due to distributor ignition system's specific inherent issue.

As to 10W30 - I need a HTHS of 3.5 or more. There are 5W30 oils that have it, but I don't know of any 10W30
Understand, if you need 3.5 then it's gonna be a higher viscosity. Not sure re the 10,000 miles, for most drivers, but, highway is easy driving.

Mobil1 High Mileage 10W-30 has a starting cSt of 12 and a HTHS of 3.5.

I ran a full track weekend on that oil in my old subaru (not a direct comparison to your 4.2, but still) and even including that, it handled 3300 miles on that oil and still had a vis of 11.8 when i sent it in to blackstone. the cold pour point is not impressive but otherwise it seems like a pretty stout oil.

Reason for fuel in the oil is due to, I think, an inherent issue with distributor ignition on my car. When it hasn't been used for several+ weeks, moisture accumulates inside those distributors and causes surging and misfire for the first 20-30 minutes of driving.
WD40 sprayed inside the distributor cap will remove the moisture from any in the cap.

Back