Lint in SuperTech Windshield Washer Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started using the SuperTech stuff. The premium stuff is too expensive.

My fluid tank has a filter in the filler neck. Ever since I switched to ST Summer Formula, the filter trapped a bunch lint like stuff. Never seen that before.

For those of you don't have a pre-filter, watch out!

The Rain-X stuff makes your wipers jump and hop during a rainstorm, tho. I used to think it was the cat's meow, but it's done this on 4 different vehicles. I use the ST stuff now.

Perhaps the ST stuff is made out of dyed used laundry water?
lol.gif

My pre-filter is completely clogged, after running 3 gals of the stuff down. I would hate to see some poor guy who does not have a pre filter and ends up getting his pump filter clogged...

Hi

Been using it for years with no problems even in below 0F weather. Current ride has 221,000 miles on it.

NIce thing about Toyota's and Nissans is the filter in all of the fluid resovoirs to catch stuff like this! It is the little details!!

Rain-X just causes night time blindness during a rainstorm.

Every pass of my new wipers smeared the Rain-X crapp all over the swipe path.

Blinded untill the smear goes away. Then another pass, ARGH!

Went back to standard wiper fluid and nothing by stress free rainstorm driving, the Rain-X stuff is just an accident waiting to happen.

If you are getting wiper smearing it is from waxy build up on the wipers. Take some household ammonia and dampen a rag with it and wipe the wipers real well with the rag. That will strip any wax off of the blades and give you a noticable improvement. I live in Texas and can sometimes use a gallon of wiper fluid on a tank of gas when the bugs are bad. . I use whatever is cheap sometimes water, blade cleanliness is the trick.

quote:

Originally posted by John Gates:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

Went back to standard wiper fluid and nothing by stress free rainstorm driving, the Rain-X stuff is just an accident waiting to happen.

#1. The Rain-X washer fluid does not do nearly as good of a job of application as the original little yellow bottle and a paper towel do.
#2. With good quality wipers that are reasonably new, the smearing you describe hasn't happened to me. It has however happened with old crappy wipers. YMMV, just my experiences.

This was on a brand new truck with new wipers and the smearing only happened when I put the rain-x stuff in.

Had to strip it off with vinegar and water to stop it from smearing with every pass.

quote:

This was on a brand new truck with new wipers and the smearing only happened when I put the rain-x stuff in.

Had to strip it off with vinegar and water to stop it from smearing with every pass.

I had the same experience. I was looking for a way to drain that Rain-x stuff out of the resovoir it was so bad. I used rubbing alcohol on the blades to get them from chattering. It worked okay - but not 100% back to normal. I'll go home and try the ammonia trick tonight and see if it improves the situation.

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
I've even used washer fluid from dollar stores before!

Yea, or the 75 cent stuff at Walmart.

No need for expensive washer fluid, just hit the cheap stuff, they all do practically the same job.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

#1. The Rain-X washer fluid does not do nearly as good of a job of application as the original little yellow bottle and a paper towel do.
#2. With good quality wipers that are reasonably new, the smearing you describe hasn't happened to me. It has however happened with old crappy wipers. YMMV, just my experiences.

How is supertech thatmuch less than anything else???

I can find any brand blue fluid for 89c/gal if I wait for sales.

I try to never use it anyway, Im not sure if it dissolves wax layers... But sometimes I must! I dont use a full gallon in two years...

My only issue is that all blue fluids seem to condense extrea water or just not be what they claim, as Ive gotten freeze-up relatively often.

JMH

I've used the cheap, formulated for cold weather, blue stuff for many years and its always performed great. In fact, if there's a light frost on the windows the blue stuff will dissolve the frost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back