Lincoln Tombstone Welders - Any good?

JC1

Hi Guys,

Been looking at online ads (Kijiji) for use welders and I see many of these old Lincoln Tombstone Stick welders for sale.
Most guys are asking high prices these days ($200 and up depending on condition). Found a guy with one for sale for $100, which is pretty cheap these days. Looks a little beat up, but he said it was working 2 years ago the last time he used it.

Is there anything to look for in these welders before buying one?

The older ones have copper windings- try it before you buy it. Built like a tank. If it works while you have it, you can always sell it later and get your money back.

Those are a favorite of farmers everywhere for repairs. That said, AC welders like the AC225 can be harder to use for beginners (like me), and require a 50 amp 240v outlet. I found it was easier to make OK welds with a harbor frieght titanium 120v flux core machine. If you want to weld on thick materials, definitely get a 240v welder, though.

I have one. Will last forever. Eventually got the skills to do exhaust work with it at around 60-75 amps.

Welds won't be as pretty as TIG but they get the job done.

Run mine off a 40 amp breaker in my garage fed by 8 ga wire.

You're talking about an AC-only welder, right?
$200 seems a little high (to me, anyway), but I guess that's Canadian and what the seller thinks he can get out of it. $100 is more like it.
I own two of them, both purchased on farm sales and both for under $50. I also got an AC-DC Forney for about the same price, built like a tank.
Your Lincoln will be fine for most usage, but if you ever use something better, you'll want to get a better welder.

Didn't get a chance to try it. The guy removed the plug a while ago and texted me and said he'd need to get a plug. I said don't bother just adjust the price so I got it for $75 Canadian. Here's a pic of it. It's made in Canada and weights about 60 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_154611.jpg
    IMG_20210228_154611.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210228_154609.jpg
    IMG_20210228_154609.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 54
Back