Light switch/timer wiring help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The neutral wire should be the white wire. And is usually run in with the feed , the same feed that connects to the black screw and that is the one you will have voltage on.

Check the first illustration on this Wikipedia page.

It would not surprise me if a standard piece of Romex was used between the two switches. In this case either the black or white wire in the Romex between the switches could be the switched-hot, therefore, the white wire should be marked black (such as by wrapping with electrical tape at both ends. It would also not surprise me if the installer omitted marking the white wire.

Last edited:
I wish the edit function had more time. I may have to modify what I said above. If there's a red wire in the mix, then they would use the black and the red wires as switched-hot. In this case, the white would be the neutral.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
If there's a red wire in the mix, then they would use the black and the red wires as switched-hot. In this case, the white would be the neutral.

All three wires are the same color - some kind of orange. And all three disappear into the wire ducting into the wall. No markings on any of them. That's what makes it such a PITA to identify what is what.

Pull the light fixture(s) and check its wiring. This will help us tell if the fixture is powered or the box. If it's a 3-way you can maybe put this timer thing in the other box.

The other box is just as enigmatic as the first - 3 unmarked same color wires coming into a 3-way switch.

The wires are in a narrow tube, about 1/2" dia.

Your light fixture is wired hot. One of the three wires to the first switch is that hot power, the other two are choices "A" and "B" going to the 2nd switch. Either A or B will always have power and the other will not, depending on the switch position.

The 2nd switch picks one of the incoming wires, then sends the result back to the light on its third wire. Flipping the 2nd switch always results in the opposite effect, giving power when there was none, or taking it away if it was there.

You can make this timer switch work with the wiring you have, but you will have to drop the 2nd switch in the menage a trois and reassign a wire to neutral. Alternatively if you have any outlets nearby you can tap into their neutral and snake a single conductor on up.

Are the boxes metal or plastic? If plastic you should get a ground too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back