Lifting/jacking up only ONE corner of a car

How safe is it?
If I lift the car up on ONE corner (front passenger corner, for example) and place that corner on a jack stand, and chock the rear wheel that's diagonally opposite (or both rear wheels), is it safe enough to keep the car lifted on the corner long enough do an oil change? (as opposed to lifting and placing the car on jack stands on BOTH front corners).

IF it IS safe, In addition to safety, are there any other issues by using this procedure?

Personally, I wouldnt do it.

Some vehicles are stiff enough, that they might lift another corner off.

Some vehicles are flexible enough that panels may come precariously close.

Id also be concerned about affecting alignment.

Id prefer to lift by an axle or by side.

Originally Posted by b_rubenstein
I would never work under a car supported like that. Any lateral force on the front of the car could cause it to come crashing down.

That makes very little sense. The OP's approach is to have three tires on the ground, which is very stable. Depending upon if the fourth tire is left on, or taken off, the height that the vehicle could go to is between that of the car's ride height on the ground, and a slightly lower level the height of the tire sidewall, and rim-to-rotor delta.

And if set up properly, so that there is something under a frame or suspension member to backup in case the stand tips, then the height could be even higher.

This isnt two or more jack stands which can be tipped over and drop the vehicle. Three wheels are on the ground.

How high is up? and do you need to be underneath? I don't consider an inch or so to be very dangerous, not when you won't be under it, for just getting an oil pan under it.

But ramps would be pretty foolproof and easy to make for just an oil change where an inch or 3 is is needed.

+1 on the ramps. I really like ramps for oil changes or other work that doesn't involve taking the wheels off.

ramps for that is the only way. or ramp.

if you need 1 wheel off I'd prefer leaving it on a sturdy 100lb floor jack.
Dont get under vehicle.. can also put the removed wheel under the car for safety.

Compliant suspensions like trucks or mushy passenger cars lifting a corner is no big deal. Tight suspension performance cars if more then a few inches I would be more inclined to lift it fom the center cross-member then throw in both jack stands.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about lifting a corner and backing it up with a stand. I have lifted many cars from the LCA where the shock/strut mounts which immediately lifts the tire off the ground then put wood blucks under the wheel as backup.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Dittos on the ramps and I would use wooden ramps.

I was driving home last night and saw a car supported by wood. I would have stopped to take a picture but didn't want to get assaulted. The car had all four tires on but the front two where up in the air about 2 inches off the ground. Supporting the car were two 1x6 boards with a 2x2 on top. The 1x6 boards were stacked vertically. I couldn't believe anyone would do something so stupid. Anytime someone mentions wooden ramps, I'll think of this guy and his wooden shelf jack stand.

Thanks guys. Very good info and advice. I will be safe and lift both front corners or use ramps.

I was tempted to do it with one corner after this YT video I watched but wasn't sure if it was a good idea, so thought i'd ask here
- I was just thinking of starting to the OCs on the Mazda 6 .
I do have ramps (Rhino) and I used it on the 03 Elantra which was much smaller and lighter than the Mazda6. Wasn't quite sure if those would support the Mazda6 but I guess it would... And the Mazda6 is quite a bit lower and has a front spoiler.... and a longer "overhang" in front of front tire. didn't know if it would hit the ramps / scrape them and just push them, resulting in a mess.

YT guy doing it with one corner lifted AFA I can see:

I will be safe and either lift both front corners or try the ramps.

Last edited:
Are there better ways to do it, our posters have spoken.

That being said, I don't see any reason why the OP's planned procedure would not do the trick safely.

I use a single ramp often … mine are wooden ramps that are glued and then tightened up with 3" screws …
(standard dry pine, not wet treated) …
I would not do that with plastic ramps … but think it's safer than jacks/stands …

Well I am pretty slim and small
smile.gif
5'5" and about 125 lbs.. LOL!
so it's not my size that's the hindrance, but the Mazda6 SEEMS so low and I think it would be a lot smoother process if one had some space to work in.

If you do not have the correct tools, equipment, and knowledge for the job, it would be smarter to have someone else do, or start buying tools for the job. I have been doing that for 40 years, and have everything to do almost anything on a car. If I don't have to right tool for any project, I go buy the tool needed and hope I need it again. I have sold lots of tools used 1 time that I knew I wouldn't use again, but still saved money not paying someone else to mess it up.
And yes you can safely lift one corner and support it if you are careful. Some cars are stiff enough the front and rear tires will lift off the ground.
BTW, I need a cherry picker to change an engine, so in 1989 I bought a welder/grinder/chop saw, and built my own learning the whole way. It was my 2nd welding project followed by many more since. Still trying to learn to weld better.

2012-07-17_07-41-43_1862.jpg

IMG_3174.JPG

Last edited:
All passenger vehicles are designed to be able to lift one corner for the obvious reason of changing a tire, unless explicitly stated otherwise. Consult the owner's manual for the designated jack points, though these are for the factory supplied jack and if you know what you're doing you can find alternate points without causing damage, which is also useful to have a redundant support point if you're not taking the wheel off to use that as your backup support, or your wheels are so skinny that they wouldn't be effective at that.

Then again, it takes maybe 30 seconds to jack up the other side of the same end and you may get that time back from ease of working under the vehicle, or less soreness the next day because you didn't have to be a contortionist to get work done. Granted an oil change is usually not that arduous a process to make as much difference as some other repairs where you don't have a lift and are working on the ground.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by PimTac
Dittos on the ramps and I would use wooden ramps.

I was driving home last night and saw a car supported by wood. I would have stopped to take a picture but didn't want to get assaulted. The car had all four tires on but the front two where up in the air about 2 inches off the ground. Supporting the car were two 1x6 boards with a 2x2 on top. The 1x6 boards were stacked vertically. I couldn't believe anyone would do something so stupid. Anytime someone mentions wooden ramps, I'll think of this guy and his wooden shelf jack stand.

Yea that is pretty dumb. Not the idea I was promoting My wood ramps are salvage 2x10s stacked. Ends are cut on a angle.

Back