Liftgate struts

The power liftgate on my Chrysler Town and Country 2014 is not lifting.

It has two gas struts, and then a separate motor. I think if I replace the gas struts, it would be a good first troubleshooting step, because maybe the motor is fine and the struts are just weak.

I can find struts from $10 each to $65 each. Is there a particular brand that I should go for? $130 for Mopar struts is fine if they are worth it, but is a strut a strut? $20 would be a lot easier for troubleshooting but then I don't want to replace them, the liftgate still doesn't work, and then I don't know if the motor is really bad or if the cheap struts I used are just weak.

Well they are still working somewhat, because the liftgate would fall down completely without them. It's just that I assume after nearly 10 years, they are losing some spring, especially in the cold weather. But replacing them with offbrands might be a waste of money, since there are lots of reviews on random struts saying they aren't as strong as OEM. It seems like I need to spend $130 and if it doesn't fix it, then at least I will know the struts are new and genuine Mopar. I just hate paying the dealer premium just for the sticker though.

Could you try to provide a little assist yourself to "simulate" good struts? Otherwise I feel like you're firing the parts cannon....

The problem might be the motor and not the struts. My power liftgate would still open and close with weak struts, but when the cold weather arrived, the door would begin to slowly lower/close on it's own accord.

The problem might be the motor and not the struts. My power liftgate would still open and close with weak struts, but when the cold weather arrived, the door would begin to slowly lower/close on it's own accord.
You are describing what happens to struts that loose part of their gas. When the weather is warmer the remaining gas inside expands and will sometimes cause them to behave normally, but in colder weather they partially collapse.

Exactly, I replaced my struts when that happened, while my motor still had the strength to open and close the door.

What brands do you see on Amazon? Often the sellers (fulfilled by amazon so free return shipping) are so worried about bad reviews, that if you receive them and they aren't strong enough, they will readily offer a refund. As far as how long they last, that is another variable and may depend on the application.

I bought a cheap pair on eBay that were so strong it was hard to close the hatch. I just replaced only one and it worked out ok.
Seems I can't resist buying cheap eBay stuff.

I bought a cheap pair on eBay that were so strong it was hard to close the hatch. I just replaced only one and it worked out ok.
Seems I can't resist buying cheap eBay stuff.
I did the same thing on the hood of my SuperDuty. Fortunately I expected it as reviews warned that it'll almost knock you in the chin if you're not careful. Beyond that it hasn't been a problem at all and I kinda like how assertively it opens.

However, if the liftgate is also power-down this will be an issue, like over-tensioning garage door springs and burning up your garage door opener

The power liftgate on my Chrysler Town and Country 2014 is not lifting.

It has two gas struts, and then a separate motor. I think if I replace the gas struts, it would be a good first troubleshooting step, because maybe the motor is fine and the struts are just weak.

I can find struts from $10 each to $65 each. Is there a particular brand that I should go for? $130 for Mopar struts is fine if they are worth it, but is a strut a strut? $20 would be a lot easier for troubleshooting but then I don't want to replace them, the liftgate still doesn't work, and then I don't know if the motor is really bad or if the cheap struts I used are just weak.
I've always used the ones from Stabilus as replacement struts and have never had a problem

Back