Lifter Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Dodge Caravan 3.3V6 with 101,000mi. I switched it to synthetic at 70,000 and changed it about every 4,000 using mostly M1. Right now I have Amsoil 10-30 in it with about 3,800mi on it.

When it's idleing hot I get erratic and intermittant lifter tapping. Seems like it's been like this since I switched to syn's. I didn't own it very long before I switched.

I've heard this might be common with these engines but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the thinner oil or maybe gummed up lifters. I dont believe in using cleaning additives. I believe that the engine is being well lubricated but the lifter noise drives me nuts.

Here are my questions:
Should I try switching back to dino oil?
Should I try to get a heaver synthetic (10-40)?
Should I try running a flush through it?

Any comments, Thanks Pete

I don't think it's the oil that is the issue here, you might want to see if your valves need to be adjusted.

Welcome, Grayghost!
welcome.gif

Since you've used M1 for so long with regular changes, I don't think the lifters are gummed up. And since the tapping is erratic and only at idle, it sounds like the lifters are not holding pressure. They are probably getting worn.

If the noise is a bother, just try a heavier weight oil.....

Try putting a quart of Rislone (yellow bottle) in with your oil. This worked once for me. You can buy it at Wal*Mart.

I have a similar issue, a "noisy lifter" and ticking at start-up. (I use RedLine exclusively)Dealership mechanic declined to spend my money taking things apart and adjusting valves, suggested put up with the slight inconvenience and save money (yes I was quite impressed).
If I'm using better oil, why does it cause a noisy lifter and ticking at start-up? And is the noise NOT a sign of trouble?
If I go with plain dead-dino for a while and the ticking goes away, what does that mean?
Please help.
Thanks
Rob

My 84 subie wagon has ticked for as long as I have owned in and it hasn't seemed to affect performance or reliability. Then again every car I've seen around town like mine ticks also. If it was me I wouldn't worry about it.

Not having heard the engine I cannot make a long distance diagnosis. That stated, you should know that this engine has a habit of having a loose timing chain which then intermittently raps against a hard plastic "bumper" giving a noise which is similar to valve noise. How oil change would play into this I am not sure but you can sometimes localize it by putting a stethoscope on the timing cover (the water pump is mounted on top of it). By the way they can go on for a long time making this noise.

Viscosity, Lifter Wear, or Lifters gummed up:
-I had lifter noise on my 93 Grand Cherokee. Raised viscosity to 20w50 to quiet them until I replaced the lifters.
-I just had problems with a Nissan KA24 engine (should use 15w40) with lifter noise. From product specs could nos see the problem. Lab just confirmed that the the noisy oil was actually 16.5 cSt (slightly out of spec). Dropping to a different batch of the same oil (15.8 cSt) put it in range and quieted the lifters.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
That stated, you should know that this engine has a habit of having a loose timing chain which then intermittently raps against a hard plastic "bumper" giving a noise which is similar to valve noise.

1993 Elantra with 1.6?
BTW you may not know this but in Dec of '01 the timing belt was replaced and a few weeks later when it was being looked at, it hopped off the pulley. Dealership gave me $3400 worth of engine work, 2 pistons, whole new head. So it should not be the belt, know what I mean?
Maybe another few ounces of Auto-RX?
Thanks
Rob

M1 always caused me valve tap on my 3.8L

I don't run it for this reason... I run Maxlife 10W-30. No tap.

I had lifter tap on my toyota cressida at about 150,000 so I added a quart of marvel mistery oil.
Didn't do much so at the next oil change added another quart of marvel mistery oil. Lifter tap went away and has not returned. I believe this stuff is very thin and gets into the lifters and eventually cleans them enough to stop the noise.
Now have 250,000 on the toyota and no lifter noise at all.

[ May 14, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

A Year 2000 S-10 with lifter tap. Is this common in this vehicle? Mileage is 22,000, but is currently driven only 2 miles a day. What do you recommend?
dunno.gif

Amsoil engine flush and change the oil to 5w-30 Amsoil? ... or are we wasting our time? Again ...
dunno.gif

Thanks.

Repeat ...

quote:

Originally posted by red2rebel:
A Year 2000 S-10 with lifter tap. Is this common in this vehicle? Mileage is 22,000, but is currently driven only 2 miles a day. What do you recommend?
dunno.gif

Amsoil engine flush and change the oil to 5w-30 Amsoil? ... or are we wasting our time? Again ...
dunno.gif

Thanks.

'90 Cutlass, V6, 175K miles, lifters have ticked at start up since I don't know when. Used AutoRX and the ticking went away quicker (yes, I timed it.....38 seconds before RX and now 15 seconds after) Engine runs flawlessly. I just keep that in mind when I crank it up and let it run for at least 1 minute before I head down the road. In my opinon, almost like what the mechanic said to rob the oil nut, if engine is running smooth, don't fix it just live with it.

As someone else said, lifter noise is really common on those engines, though they rarely actually fail, just rattle a lot. I would switch back to dino just as an experiment and see if it goes away. If it does, stick with the dino. If it doesn't, try something else.

I'm a fan of the Marvel Mystery Oil treatment, actually, although, I never would leave it in for a whole interval. When I've done it, I buy cheap oil and filter, and substitute a quart of oil for Marvel. A few hundred miles later (I'm not good at keeping track of when, more when I feel like it than anything), I drain it all out and put decent oil and a decent filter on. I've recommended it to a few other people as well, and they always had positive results.

If the 2K S10 has a 4.3 in it my experience is that the roller lifters are never as quiet as bucket lifters. They are, however, at a level that only an "oil nut" would notice.

quote:

Originally posted by guitargeek:
--smo[
I'm a fan of the Marvel Mystery Oil treatment, actually, although, I never would leave it in for a whole interval. --snip

I use to use it all the time. and I would use up to 1 qrt. rhe whole time.
I have used it a few times recently (last 379K).
But I now only put (if I put any) a few ounces.

I donno why, but I "love" that smell.

Use to clean my engine by hand with it, then run about 50 miles, burning any off that would come off, then spray silicon on a rag and wipe it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back