Life goal, Cherry tree= Cherry pie

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Make a cherry pie from cherries from my own cherry tree.

Mrs. Uncle Dave made the dough and its in the fridge....

IMG_4410.jpeg
IMG_4406.jpeg
IMG_4402.jpeg
IMG_4401.jpeg

Health in your hand there. 5 cherries have the anti inflammatory equivalent of a standard aspirin tablet. They sure help the Arthur in my hands. Great time of year here as they are running under $4 lb during the peak season.

Having two cherrie trees, don't expect cherries every year. Most years, the trees are fruitless and prone to disease..

Wow! A real homemade cherry pie. Also, that's a neat little Datsun truck back there. Is that your spread?

Wow! A real homemade cherry pie. Also, that's a neat little Datsun truck back there. Is that your spread?
The tree field is mine, The Datusn is the neighbors.

Ive had my eye on that Datsusn a while but he wont give it up.

Having two cherrie trees, don't expect cherries every year. Most years, the trees are fruitless and prone to disease..

Yeah....it's been three years in the making, I got bupkis year one AND two.

It's been rough, this patch of dirt is absolutely awful, we've had freezes and hailstorms.

They do get irrigated though and thats been tremendously helpful.

Not yet. Although late freezes and hailstorms are rough on them.
Gotcha. Thank. Thankfully we didn’t get a late frost this year. We have 15 saplings that I added to an existing wind screen that I planted last fall that would’ve gotten stunned otherwise.

We have apple, cherry, peach, and pear trees. 2 of each. One of the cherry trees died late last summer and I just replaced it this spring. Wasn’t sure what the issue was. I haven’t sprayed anything yet either so I wasn’t sure if that was the issue.

Gotcha. Thank. Thankfully we didn’t get a late frost this year. We have 15 saplings that I added to an existing wind screen that I planted last fall that would’ve gotten stunned otherwise.

We have apple, cherry, peach, and pear trees. 2 of each. One of the cherry trees died late last summer and I just replaced it this spring. Wasn’t sure what the issue was. I haven’t sprayed anything yet either so I wasn’t sure if that was the issue.

Where are you in Indiana?

My grandparents farm was outside of Wheatfield, and the other outside of Demotte.

Both maternal grandparents worked at Inland steel mills in Gary.

Last edited:
We planted several cherry trees years ago here in the northern Nevada high desert. Late frosts frequently wipe out the blossoms but this is one of the rare years we’re gonna have cherries. Pie recipes seem to call for large amounts of sugar additive. Absolutely not needed.

I read a paper on fruit tree sprays from our local county extension office. It called for a different sparay seemingly every week during the growing season. Not having the time or inclination I did not do that and we’ve lost trees due to some kind of borer. Fruit trees in general are high maintenance but worth the trouble if you have the time and interest.

Back