Licensed alternatives for Mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
without a doubt red line d6

It's not certified by Ford.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3551387/1

If that can be of any help to you...

I did a multi-drain/fill over several different intervals throughout the time I owned my 2011 (purchased at 36,000 miles, totaled at 86,000) and only found that clean fluid merely maintained the transmission's shift quality. I found that my best results were after resetting the KAM (battery disconnect, etc) after doing a fluid change. This allowed the adaptive functions of the transmission to get used to the new fluid each time. I changed it immediately after I got it (fluid was extremely dark) and about every 15-20k miles after that. I did take it in several times to make note of undesirable transmission shift quality, and I kid you not, I was told by two different dealerships that I had "one of the best shifting Fusions" they'd driven with transmission concerns.

On my latest fluid change I used Redline D6 with Lubegard Red (as you'll see by checking that thread) with excellent results. I did pair this with using premium fuel for what I found to be the smoothest driving it's ever given me. There's no question that the 6F35 is far from an ideal transaxle, but I think that as long as the fluid is maintained, you should be in pretty good shape. It would probably be wise to add an in-line filter to the unit as a just-in-case sort of thing, but then again, since you're still under powertrain warranty, don't overstep boundaries TOO much.

As much as I loved the car in every way, and planned to keep it for a very long time, I did end up buying an extended Ford ESP warranty to have just in case on the powertrain. Beyond that, it was one of my favorite cars yet.

Originally Posted By: W_John_C
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3551387/1

If that can be of any help to you...

I did a multi-drain/fill over several different intervals throughout the time I owned my 2011 (purchased at 36,000 miles, totaled at 86,000) and only found that clean fluid merely maintained the transmission's shift quality. I found that my best results were after resetting the KAM (battery disconnect, etc) after doing a fluid change. This allowed the adaptive functions of the transmission to get used to the new fluid each time. I changed it immediately after I got it (fluid was extremely dark) and about every 15-20k miles after that. I did take it in several times to make note of undesirable transmission shift quality, and I kid you not, I was told by two different dealerships that I had "one of the best shifting Fusions" they'd driven with transmission concerns.

On my latest fluid change I used Redline D6 with Lubegard Red (as you'll see by checking that thread) with excellent results. I did pair this with using premium fuel for what I found to be the smoothest driving it's ever given me. There's no question that the 6F35 is far from an ideal transaxle, but I think that as long as the fluid is maintained, you should be in pretty good shape. It would probably be wise to add an in-line filter to the unit as a just-in-case sort of thing, but then again, since you're still under powertrain warranty, don't overstep boundaries TOO much.

As much as I loved the car in every way, and planned to keep it for a very long time, I did end up buying an extended Ford ESP warranty to have just in case on the powertrain. Beyond that, it was one of my favorite cars yet.

Thanks. That is very helpful. In fact, I considered using Redline D6 and a Magnifine inline filter, but many people on fordfusionforum.com argued against those ideas, saying that they would void warranty. Some people said the inline filter can mess up flow of the fluid, which will cause damage.

I used Steeda CAI and 87oct and 91oct tunes, but they did not improve shift quality. Maybe the template from SCT for my car has problems. CEL came on every time after flashing, and the error code was P06B8.

The improvement with the new PEAK ATF is not obvious. Shudder fixx made the problem worse. Lubegard platinum made noticeable improvement. I wonder how it compares to Lubegard red, but the costumer service of Lubegard told me that platinum is better.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I would forget the inline filter (too restrictive) and just use the red line d6 change it at recommended intervals.

The problem is Redline D6 can void warranty. What if the transmission fails? It's said that dealer will test the fluid before honoring the warranty.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Wow is Redline D6 expensive!

It's almost twice the price as those approved ones.

Originally Posted By: sam369
. Shudder fixx made the problem worse. Lubegard platinum made noticeable improvement. I wonder how it compares to Lubegard red, but the costumer service of Lubegard told me that platinum is better.

After the dealer flashed the TCM for the shudder issue did you drive the car for a significant amount of time so that the new program could make new adaptations to your driving habits? It could take a thousand miles or so to relearn parameters and apply correctly...

As for using things like Lubegard....I would resist using additives like this unless the car is old and out of warranty, the engineers did not use it to design and test your transmission, so I would
stay away.

I would remove the lubegard with a number of drain and fills with
LICENSED FORD Mercon LV (any brand that is LICENSED is perfect), and also remove the mods you mentioned, after a thousand miles see how things are. Come back and update us.

I don't know i would think there are more ford transmissions with motorcraft fluid and if there was a problem ford would know but im not so sure

Returned the tune to stock with STEEDA CAI with insert. It seems that the drivability with slow acceleration is better. With premium fuel, throttle response is quite good. However, with WOT there is 0.5 or 1 second delay in acceleration. I remember someone else also mentioned this problem, which STEEDA tunes don't have. Having sent some log files to STEEDA, but haven't heard back yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back