Liberty Vs. Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add a truck to our driveway. The wife really likes Jeeps, so this seems like the way to go. The idea is to have this as the family car to go places her Cavalier will not.
I'm hoping to find a nice mid milage one (around 100k is fine, as this will not be an everyday car..a 3rd car, if you will)

I've heard both good things about both the Cherokee and the Liberty, and wonder which one would be a better choice.

I'm leaning toward the cherokee, as it has a pretty rock solid engine and seems to last forever.

What do you guy think?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Cherokee without any question.

There is NO choice for me when faced with the 4.0 vs the 3.7...

Same! The 3.7 is a freaking slug..

I've owned both and totally agree: Cherokee! it's lighter, faster, better on gas, and a better engine. but check it out completely! perhaps even a compression test before purchase. on another note, that engine is cheap to rebuild.

The 1st gen liberties aren't really my cup of tea. My 94 Wrangler seems to drive a lot better than them. The newer more boxy ones are nice with the 5.9L but the 3.7L made me want to get out of it fairly quick when I took a few for a test drive(thinking it was just the one I was driving).

The Cherokee's are better bang for the buck, the 4.0L is a beast of well made engine, drivability on normal Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's is superior IMO to the Liberty. Easier to work on as well, I have experience hands on with the 4.0L, the 3.7L I've heard my mechanic friend not appreciate to put it politely.

Cherokee w/4.0 I-6 all the way.

The body will fallapart on that vehicle, and the engine will crawl out of its compartment, and walk away...LOL!

:p

Though similar in concept, the Liberty and Cherokee are completely different vehicles.

If you plan to go off road, tow, and/or generally beat the snot out of the vehicle, get a Cherokee with a 4.0. If you just need a general purpose vehicle with 4WD for snow and occasional rough roads, look at the Liberty.

The Cherokee is kind of unrefined, but very solid and reliable. Maintenance is easy, and parts will always be available. The Liberty has a more refined independent front suspension and interior, but you can't treat them the same as a Cherokee.

If I were buying, I would get a Cherokee without a second thought. Depending on your needs the Liberty may be a better choice though.

Hmm...some good advice, guys.

My thinking is that this will be a car that we take up north (camping),vacations, and general around town car.

Sounds like the cherokee might be a good choice...

I bought my '99 4.0L/5-speed as a second car and I love it so much that I drive it as my first. I'd recommend one to anyone. It's just too bad you can't buy them new anymore, or I'd be in one tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
I bought my '99 4.0L/5-speed as a second car and I love it so much that I drive it as my first. I'd recommend one to anyone. It's just too bad you can't buy them new anymore, or I'd be in one tomorrow.

I remember that happening to a former co worker....

Get an 01-04 WJ with the 4.7 and Select Trac and Trailer Tow package

Is a much better vehichle than a Cherokee and will give better mileage than a 4.0 in the Cherokee.

Liberties are small inside in all the wrong places, B pillars closing in on you, roof curving down to meet the door. Like a hyundai accent cabin. If you guys are both shorter than 6 foot you might like it.

The controls are not well placed (I have a work vehicle and once had a rental) and due to some lack of illumination or something are real hard to figure out in the dark.

These newest SUVs are "Fez hat shaped" getting narrower and narrower as they get higher, I assume to cut rollovers, but it cuts usefulness quite a bit.

My works old cherokee I bought at a one-man sealed bid auction and it was still a super vehicle after 160k of employee neglect. If cold AC is your thing this truck (1999) really cranked it out!

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Get an 01-04 WJ with the 4.7 and Select Trac and Trailer Tow package

Is a much better vehichle than a Cherokee and will give better mileage than a 4.0 in the Cherokee.

I'm going to have to disagree. My 4.0L will return 25 mpg if you get on the highway and cruise at 60. My dad has a '02 4.7L JGC and at 55 mph it will do 22 mpg, at best. I get 20-21 with the Cherokee on my usual 50/50 town and highway driving. He gets maybe 18 or 19 in the JGC.

As far as it being a "better vehicle," its certainly more luxurious, but if you want simple, durable transportation you still can't beat the XJ Cherokee.

I have owned both, "my preference" would be for the Liberty for its road manners, the Cherokee is a sound very tough vehicle with a great but old 4 litre engine the Cherokee dates back to the 80s and was an AMC vehicle till Chrysler purchased them in 1988, if you are going off-roading then Cherokee is the one for you, the liberty is much more modern with IFS front suspension, one bad thing with the liberty was sliding on wet roads on hard braking with the factory equipped tires, so if you go Liberty get ABS brakes, and select trac to save all the shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive on patchy snow covered roads.
I had the first model year 2002 liberty LTD. My Cherokee was a 1997 model.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee Diesel.

Last edited:
If you ever intend to go OFFROAD, the Cherokee is also the better bet.
They come with a solid front axle (Liberty has independent suspention), and the aftermarket has much much more for the XJ's.

Lift kits, body armor, skidplates, etc, etc.

Just f.y.i.

I drove a new Liberty, I like the new "old" styling much better than the 1st Liberty, although not crazy about the front end. However, it's in serious need of a more powerful, more efficient engine.
So, I kept my 96 Cherokee and bought an 09 Patriot. Got the 5-speed, hated the CVT. Not for serious off-roading and crawling, but very nice in snow and slush. Very close in size to my XJ.
Oh yeah, averaging 23 mpg and 31 mg on a trip to the coast is very nice, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back