Lets talk wipers

I use PIAA silicone wiper blades on my cars and they last years and work very well.

The last time I put one on one of my cars was 4 years ago. I live in South Carolina so suns UV is very strong most of the year, and we get lots of rain. Car is parked outside all year round, the wiper blades are still going strong after 4 years.

Also, the most important thing to make sure your wipers work well is to clean the glass and the wiper blade, whenever you see it start to leave streaks or skip, clean it.

Clean the glass with 0000 steel wool, and clean the wiper blades with rubbing alcohol. Apply some uv protectant like 303 rubber and vinyl protectant on the blades. Also, wax or ceramic coat the window or put some rainx on it. My point is, make sure the glass and the blade is clean and smooth. Then any blade will work great.
I have better things to do with my time than install new trash wipers every few months. I think they were around $60+ for the set. Buy once, cry once. I have PIAA wipers on my car that I bought in May 2015, they are STILL quiet and perform well, AFTER parking outside in Midwest winters. Full disclosure; my two cents worth is that I also use Aquapel on my windshield, Rain-X is for folks who have never heard of Aquapel, and I clean my wiper blades down whenever the rare occasion happens that the windshield needs cleaning, like right after a 450 mile trip through summer bug guts.
I'm also the guy on the highway who will maintain speed thru blinding rains when semis are pulled over. Guess what? I can see!

I've run the gamut of wiper blades. From the Walmart cheapies, to the blades costing $20-$30 each, and I've found the Walmart cheapies wipe every bit as well and last just as long as the expensive ones. They used to be about $5 each, but now they're probably more like $7 or $8...
Agreed. Similar experience.

I gave up caring or spending significant money. Now I just replace them in the summer.

Bosch Icons-unless you have a pin style wiper arm (although the OE ones may fit). I literally can get YEARS out of a set! Unfortunately, they've gotten really expensive.
Best luck I had was those. They lasted several years on a couple of our work trucks plus my car.

I do have the original blades. But PIAA refills may not work on them. They have to different widths on them, and I use 18" and 26", so one of each. And one of them may not work (I'll have to test fit when it comes time to refill the silicone wipers)

View attachment 154136
Only the Toyota inserts will work - and they usually work pretty well.

I've had decent luck with RainX blades and terrible luck with Michelin in terms of longevity here in SFL.

Might try silicone next

I'll get about 6 months out of a pair of wipers, regardless of brand or type...
Durability isn't the only factor. A lot of aftermarket wipers have poor wiping performance due to their design incompatibilities with certain wiper arms and windshields.

Bosch Icons-unless you have a pin style wiper arm (although the OE ones may fit). I literally can get YEARS out of a set! Unfortunately, they've gotten really expensive.
Really? I think tye Bosch Icons have gone downhill. I haven't been able to get more than 3-4 months from a set. The longest lasting so far that I've used have been valeo and a set of Michelins coming up on a year

I just put Bosch Envision on the CX-5. One thing I noticed is boy wipers getting expensive these days. See how long they last but I don't drive much anymore.

Back