Lets talk motorcycle grips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at replacing the grips on my YZF-R1 that after8 years and 24,000 still has the factory grips on it. Frankly the factory grips are rock hard at this point and anything other than a short trip is just uncomfortable on your hands.

So new grips are in order.. In my 10 yeas on streetbikes ive never purchased grips, im looking for something soft but no squishy good for aggressive sport riding/ sport touring.

thanks

Look at the Progrip line...They won't last 8 years, but they are thin gel and grippy. I don't like fat, hard grips...

I like the Pro Taper pillow top on my YZ.

On my R1, I'm still running stock, after 6.5 yrs and 54,000+ miles. I've never seen the need to change them.

Lots of guys like Renthal grips for sport bikes.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

On my R1, I'm still running stock, after 6.5 yrs and 54,000+ miles. I've never seen the need to change them.

you havent noticed your factory grips get a little slick, and hard with that many miles ?

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

you havent noticed your factory grips get a little slick, and hard with that many miles ?

No. I guess the best I've used is the best I know! LOL!

I've been using these particular Progrip's for the last ten years or so. Mulitple bikes, and they've been great on all of them.

I've always gone with the black/dark gray colored version of these grips though.

ProGrips

I will check these out, anything with GP in the names gotta be good right ?
grin.gif

I've tried various types over the years and have settled on Spider Grip SLRs. Thin, very comfy and can be had (on eBay) for little money.... highly recommended.

very very rider/hand subjective.

i dont know what i put on my vfr when i got it.

on my yz-f i ONLY run Spider SLX and have for years.
cutting the ends off is no fun but its a must on all of them when you run barkbusters.

steve

Originally Posted By: Mik
I've tried various types over the years and have settled on Spider Grip SLRs. Thin, very comfy and can be had (on eBay) for little money.... highly recommended.

I found these at my local dealer today, very, very tacky grip ! Nothing like whats on my bike now. I believe they were $17 at the shop.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
Look at the Progrip line...They won't last 8 years, but they are thin gel and grippy. I don't like fat, hard grips...

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: morris
in my day a pencil wrapped with duct tape. was high tech.

You mean it's not?

I've never found a grip I like more than Renthal soft's in the classic dirt bike style. They are smooth where the palm rests and have a rectangular pattern where the fingers grip. It's perfect to me.

However, I can understand why some road riders would like something a bit bigger in diameter.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
very very rider/hand subjective.

i dont know what i put on my vfr when i got it.

on my yz-f i ONLY run Spider SLX and have for years.
cutting the ends off is no fun but its a must on all of them when you run barkbusters.

steve

This is what i purchased and talk about a good grip ! First lets talk install, a quick removal with a rzr blade and and the old grips were off, i soaked the inside of the new spider grips and they went on with only a little motivation needed, I let them dry 24 hours to be safe.

First ride was around 190 totall miles and i never experienced hand pain or a sore grip once.

These spider grips are excellent, ill buy them again in a minute.

Personally in 400,000 miles I've never found an aftermarket grip worth $0.02. I guess other guys have better luck. Even the worst factory grips beat the best aftermarket in the long run. My dad got those junk foam grips put on a Goldwing and after a couple years I might as well just have been gripping plastic with silicon spray on my hands were how slippery they were. Before that I got some Ourys or whatever they spell it as and I'll be like Sunra and say I was able to totally break those down to nothing in a couple hundred miles. I guess aftermarket has "oil change intervals" or should I say "hand grip change intervals every 1500 miles? You'll need it with most of them.

I wear gloves all the time. Lost all the skin on the palms of my hands when I was a teenager showing off for some girls doing a wheelie. My 2stroke bogged a little and then surged flipping the bike upside down and dropping me on the street on my hands and knees. I have worn gloves since. Even when it is 115°, I wear gloves.

As long as the grips aren't too slippery, I don't care.

I had a pair of Marsee gloves that I really liked. Wish they still made that style.

I do not like foam grips. I don't find that they dampen vibration much and they are too fat.

My Harley friends and family highly endorse Kuryakyn grips.
21.gif
I think that might be more of a style thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back