Lets talk antivirus

Could it be the VIRUS infecting our computers are the works of the programmers of Anti-Virus software themselves? I mean, without computer viruses and such, how will their business survive?

Last edited:
I use the default Windows AV, and my keep my browser and operating system up to date. Browsers no longer supporting Adobe Flash and Java has helped things a lot. Just use common sense, and don't open files if you don't know what they are.

If you have family members that do not use common sense, you can try setting up a OS profile for them without admin privileges. That will stop 99% of malicious file executions.

I've used MalwareBytes on people's infected machines in the past, and that's pretty good at cleaning stuff up.

Well, for what it's worth, I've used Webroot Secure Anywhere now for at least
12 years and have never once been compromised.
I tried others in the past and once I went with Webroot, I was sold.
And, it's developed and made here in America in Colorado.
Outstanding product.

Could it be the VIRUS infecting our computers are the works of the programmers of Anti-Virus software themselves? I mean, without computer viruses and such, how will their business survive?
Yes, a guy named George Webb use to work for a well known Anti Virus software company back in the 90's and he said they had a team in the basement that use to create viruses and send them out just before the new version of their software was released. He hinted that other Anti virus software companies were doing the same thing. He named the company but I decided not to post it here.

For Joe Average Home User, Defender is typically adequate. Some commercial solutions do offer more enhanced protection (they scan traffic for example, and will block malicious websites and content, preventing them from being downloaded or the page from loading) like ESET, and these will typically pick up more PUP's and stuff that Defender might not flag, but that's not a huge issue.

I think I’m going to buy a Mac Mini M2.

I’ve always heard that Apple software is less susceptible to viruses/malware, etc.

Does it come with any virus protection?

Does it need any aftermarket virus/malware protection?

I’ve always heard that Apple software is less susceptible to viruses/malware, etc.

No, it doesn't come with one, yes, there are several available. I don't run one personally, but I do have it installed (ESET Endpoint) on any device associated with our organization that isn't mine.

I haven’t used an antivirus software since windows XP. That thing needed it back then.
But I always have my stuff backed up and if I see anything suspicious I just nuke the whole system and re-install windows.

My current system hasn’t been nuked for around 3-4 years now. When I built my new computer, I simply cloned my old ssd to a new one because I didn’t feel like setting everything up all over again.

Not saying do as I do, but windows defender works pretty well.

Also, that antivirus software hogs quite a lot of resources running in the background. If anything I would get rid of it and invest in a good firewall and VPN.
Antivirus may hog a lot of resources in the back, (only an issue if u dont have a lot of RAM Windows 11 bloatware is equallty bad), but VPNs get deliberatly throttled by many internet service providers.
I am not talking about the posisble lag inherent in running through an extra node, thats just part of the nature of a VPN, but I am talking about internet service provider identifying you are running a VPN by your data packets and then throttling that traffic.

I have a 500 - 600 MPS connection but I do get throttled down quite a bit on occasion when VPN is on.
Its not the VPN service itself thats the issue, but nearly every provider does this now, as a silicon valley pushback against privacy protections.

Long ago I asked a kid in IT what to get. He told me Avast and it's free. That was 13 years ago across maybe 5 computers, never had an issue.

NO virus protection from Apple. I never ran any on any of our computers, I never will.

With Windows I did use their built in Defender.
Im an anti - anti-virus protection guy *LOL* (not that it should surprise anyone, Im always outside the box) I always felt (going back many years) it caused more problems than solved. I am sure todays programs are better?

I know you have young kids and I dont have the answer. Some adults know when not to click on things.
You may want to go to Apple specific forums and ask there. Even Apples own forums are a good source of help sometimes.

IMG_4071.jpeg

I’ve used many AV over the years. I got rid of Kaspersky last year for obvious reasons. I’ve been using Bitdefender ever since. I also periodically scan with Malwarebytes. I only have that because I’m still grandfathered into the lifetime premium. I don’t leave it active.

Neither seems to cause any lag, even on the 10 yo beast. My wife and I are pretty savvy, but it’s cheap to run an AV that covers all of us.

Picked up a subscription to Norton with my new computer, then renewed it for a song but its finally expired. Seems like opinions are all over the place on whether third party AV is even required any more... and if it is which one to go with. On my last machine I just used the windows AV. On this one I haven't been displeased with Norton's but they've jacked the renewal cost up.

Is it worth going third party still? Last time I dug into this, Windows Defender was rated pretty highly. Is that still the case? Any good deals out there on top notch third party options?
Skip it and backup more.

What's a good backer-upper? Seriously, a remote hard drive or SSD? Is there a program to buy?

I just began receiving annoying panels which block my screen asking me to sign in on Microsoft. It's something I didn't ask for. I'd X click the panel closed only to see it pop back up in a second so I thought it is a virus.
Now I see it's marketing. I can dance around the panel....but what a drag.

Back