Lets hear the car stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the summer of 87 a guy I known -- his parents bought him a brand new 1987 Monte Carlo SS for his graduation present. He would race around town & do posis all over the place. Another guy who also graduated that year at the end of summer got a brand new 87 and a half Buick Grand National for his graduation present also. Did not take long before the two new GM products met on a weekend nite. They met at a long straight back road out of town that gathered all sorts of anxious people. Both sitting there leaving posis to start with. When the hand dropped the Grand National BLEW the doors off the Monte Carlo SS. Sadly, the young man who got the Monte Carlo SS that summer ended up dying in a vehicle accident the following year riding in a friends truck. The Grand National got sold acouple years after when his owner ended up going in the Navy for a career of it.

Riding on my Suzuki Katana with my wife on the back, 90 degree day, wearing shorts. Guy in a van is driving with his family in the right lane lane, while I am in the left lane slowly catching up. He is about 50 yards ahead of me. I see his hand wave out the window, being all friendly like. 2-3 seconds later the inside of my thigh explodes in extreme pain. I start pounding on my leg and shorts, thinking there was a bee stinging me, then pull over. I quickly pull out a lit cigarette butt that seriously burned me. Arsewhole tossed a lit butt out the window, and it flew up my leg into my shorts. Traffic was very light on this rural 2 lane highway: We get back on the road and I catch up to him, flipping him off, trying to get him to pull over, but I imagine from his perspective I was just some crazy guy messing with him. After about a 1-2 minutes he speed up to about 90 mph to get away from me, and I gave up as the situation was getting out of hand. I let him pull ahead and keep going and decide to chalk it up as a lesson on why not to wear shorts on a motorcycle.
- About 5 miles later, I see he is being pulled over by a Virginia State Policeman. The cop had just come to a halt and had not gotten out of his patrol car. I pulled up behind the cop, turn off the bike, we dismount, and we play a pantomime game to negotiate an approach. The van guy just stayed in the van while the cop and I talked. I told the cop what happened, and the cop said "well, that might explain him going 25 mph over the limit. How fast was he going when he tossed the cigarette at you ?". I said right around the speed limit, same as me. Cop scratched his chin in thought, asked me for my DL which I already had in hand. He briefly looked at it, wrote down my info, asked me my route and destination, and said "do you need to go to a hospital? Do you think he targeted you on purpose, or just him being dumb ?". I told him I thought it was just him being dumb, and I would be fine with a big bandage and some burn cream. He launched into a lecture to me about how the area was in a big drought, and grass fires were constantly popping up, and he was more concerned about the lit cigarette than the speeding. Then he looked me in the eye and said "Really ? You were going the speed limit on that bike ?". My wife, who had not said a word until this moment, pointed at me and said "He rides like a saint if I am on the bike, or I do not ride at all, or ever again". I just shrugged my shoulders. Cop said "well, it seems like at the minimum a littering citation is in order. Run along and be safe, and do not approach the van or talk to the driver".
- We left as instructed. A few months later I got a letter in the mail asking me to call some government lawyer in Richmond regarding case number XXXXXX. I called him up and we chatted for 5 minutes and reviewed the incident. He said "ok, I need to chat with a colleague in the other district, I will get back to you.". About a hour later he calls back, and has another guy on the line as well. The other guy said "Ok, what happened and make it succinct. " I gave the short version of the story. He said "the guy hired a lawyer and is contesting the charges. Are you willing to testify ?". I said "[censored] yes, and I will send you a picture of my injury. I am only 100 miles from Richmond- just tell me when to be there !". The 2nd lawyer ( I am assuming another Virginia prosecutor ) said "oh no, it will be in Front Royal (or someplace more local to the incident, I forget where). Most likely we will work something out with his lawyer before the trial: between the lawyers fees and the traffic fines it will not be pretty. If it goes to trial, the guy might get a week of jail time due to his past DWI's and this DWI. You will get something in the mail, either some notification of the outcome or a summons". Other than the mention in that last phone call of the DWI, I never knew exactly what the cop actually did, but apparently he picked up a DWI on that day.
I never heard anything back on the case until about 6 months later, when I got a check in the mail for $50 from the State of Virginia. With a note about "personal injury / medical cost restitution for case number XXXXXX".

TL; DR - guy tossed a cigarette out of a van window, burning me on the leg. Later he got pulled over by a state policeman and was cited for DWI and other unknown charges. I never wore shorts again while riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:
All these great stories, a brand new Monte Carlo SS as a graduation gift? Unheard of where I grew up! We were poor in the 90's and were stuck driving 80's leftover [censored] and the best I can remember was riding around in a buddy's Renault Encore. He tried racing (slowest race ever) another friend in a Skyhawk. As we're getting left behind by the Buick a W-body Regal comes out of no where and blows past us like we're standing still. We all broke out laughing.

Another time he's telling me how the Encore will kinda spin the tires on gravel. He floors it from a light and the car takes off as slow as you can imagine...we break out laughing and our friends in the backseat ask us what's so funny.

My friends and I are out on a Saturday night in Mikes mid 60's Ford Galaxy. Mike C is driving, and the "Jones" brothers are also in the front bench seat, Tim far right at the window, Steve in the middle. Myself and 2 other guys are in the back seat. Its a nice summer night, and all the windows are open. Mike takes a sweeping uphill left turn and continues to slide off the road into the gravel. Simultaneously, Tim is tossing a beer bottle out of the window as Mike almost hits a metal post road marker with a yellow reflector on top. Tim's arm is straight out, and hits the metal pole at about 40 mph. Pole never touches car, but pole contacts Tim's forearm, resulting in a compound fracture of both forearm bones and a trip to the local hospital, then a few days stay as they try to save his arm. Tim makes a decent recovery over the next year considering the damage, with only slight restriction of motion. I think I must have signed 4-5 different arm casts over the course of his recovery.

Wife goes to do some shopping in the Caprice I used to own.

Comes home, and the kids come back into the house goggle eyed.

"Honey, did you do something to the car ?" she asks.

Yeah, remember, I put a 10 lb pulley on it and 1.9 rockers...why ?

"Kid in an XR-6 (Ford Falcon) pulled up in the turning lane at the traffic lights near the church, and was clearly going to drag me and cut me off...so I gave it a bit away from the lights to block him off...didn't know it would go so hard."

Back in 2001, I had a 1987 BMW 325is. Imagine a car that would have been great with a gutsy 4 cylinder, but with a 2.5 inline 6 instead, 3.73 gears, close ratio tranny, and a limited slip. This thing would lay rubber like any old school muscle car, and would find the rev limiter as fast as you could shift it.

It was Saturday night, and I was doing what every young person with anything resembling a fast car was doing: Trolling for runs. That particular night, it was myself and a friend showing a couple of girls from the rich, sheltered part of the county how it was done.

Naturally, I was going after soft targets so I could look like a champ. I ran down multiple Hondas, and then kicked onto 95 headed down to Miami to show the girls a good time on Miami Beach when I came across a mid 80's Toyota with a Puerto Rican flag sticker on the rear glass. I knew it was gonna be a run for sure. Third gear was always my car's Mecca, so I stuck it in third and stuck my foot to the floor. The Corolla I was up against was putting up a good show, keeping pretty close to us when we hit the Golden Glades Interchange (typical spaghetti highway interchange). As we blasted through at about 135mph, I noticed that we had just merged in front of a police car. I did the only thing I could think of. With the girls screaming, I hightailed it to 135th Street (next exit) and proceeded to jerk as many turns as I could after exiting the highway, until finally I just parked and we ditched the car.

We walked around the ghetto of North Miami for about an hour, which was super mind blowing for the girls, until we got to the famous Steve's Pizza. We ate some slices there and went to recover my car. The girls were now completely amped up from everything, so rather than call it a night, we drove up 7th Ave to the Shell Station that was a huge meeting spot for racers. If the girls thought their mind was blown before, they really got their fill there.

I rejected every offer to run from there on out (might have been an APB. How would I know?) and eventually did get to Miami Beach. Once we were there, we did the typical Ocean Drive cruise, banging the engine off of the rev limiter in neutral, making noise, just being hooligans, and then snuck into Club Level, where we drank ourselves stupid before going out onto the sand. There we paired off, did what we did, and slept on the sand until the sand-smoother tractors woke us up and we watched the sun rise. We were real heroes for several hours.

Oh, what a night.

Two incidents happened in the same place, which is a gravel boat landing in Maryland. In addition to the Chesapeake Bay, we have lots of rivers and lakes, so these rural boat ramps are very common. First incident was 6-8 cars parked, hanging out on a fine summer night. My friend Tim had a late 60's Buick 225. All the cars are parked in a crescent shape towards the water. This particular area had a very gentle gravel slope into the water. 3-4 girls were leaning against hood of Tim's car. Unknown to Tim, his brother had borrowed the car earlier in the day and had done something to damage the parking-lock setting of the transmission, so the "park" setting did not really work. Obviously he had not bothered with the parking brake itself. The slight pressure of the girls leaning against the hood caused a mild "popping" noise, and the car to start rolling backwards into the water. People jumped into the water and somehow slowed the car, but it was enough to flood the passenger compartment to the front seats. One of the guys had a old International 4x4 truck and some ropes, and we quickly pulled the car out and drained it. The car was a real beater to begin with, so mostly we just laughed about it. Tim got another 2 years out of it before the rear differential exploded.
-- Same location, same night about 3 am. Only two cars left now- my Datsun 240z and Kevin's 70's Ford Pinto. My girlfriend (now wife) and I decided to go swimming. My friend Kevin and my girlfriends friend had just met that evening, so as a couple who just met a few hours ago, and with no bathing suits, she was not prepared to go skinny dipping with us, so Kevin played wingman and took her home and left us by ourselves. The approach to the boat landing is a very long straightaway, with a gentle down slope, so you can see a car approaching from quite a distance away. About 30 minutes later, while we were skinny dipping, we spot a Ford Pinto approaching. At the time they had a very distinctive headlight pattern so it was very easy to identify it as a Ford Pinto. My girlfriend said "OMG somebody is coming"- what we were really concerned about were strangers, the local police or Maryland Park Police. I told her its a Ford Pinto, and nobody in the police or Park Police drives a Ford Pinto, so it must be Kevin. Well, I was right- it was a Ford Pinto. I was wrong however, as the Park Police had to my surprise a few Ford Pintos at the time (1981 I think). The Pinto pulled up close to my car, and a guy got out. It was not Kevin. I said "who the h*ll are you ?" He identified himself as a Maryland Park Police, and shined his flashlight on the big Maryland sign on the door. We were both naked in the water, and he said "come out out, your trespassing after dark." My wife said "oh no, I am not coming out" and the cop asked 'why". She said "I think you know exactly why" and he laughed pretty hard. He then said "are you ok? are you safe, do you feel in danger in any way? Is this guy putting you in danger ?". She said no, she was fine. He laughed again and said "ok- I am getting in car and pulling up the hill. Get dressed and get out of here, or in 5 minutes I am going to arrest you". He drove up the hill about 200 yards and stopped. We jumped out and got dressed, and pulled out. I honked my horn at him and waved as we left, and he waved back.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Two incidents happened in the same place, which is a gravel boat landing in Maryland. In addition to the Chesapeake Bay, we have lots of rivers and lakes, so these rural boat ramps are very common. First incident was 6-8 cars parked, hanging out on a fine summer night. My friend Tim had a late 60's Buick 225. All the cars are parked in a crescent shape towards the water. This particular area had a very gentle gravel slope into the water. 3-4 girls were leaning against hood of Tim's car. Unknown to Tim, his brother had borrowed the car earlier in the day and had done something to damage the parking-lock setting of the transmission, so the "park" setting did not really work. Obviously he had not bothered with the parking brake itself. The slight pressure of the girls leaning against the hood caused a mild "popping" noise, and the car to start rolling backwards into the water. People jumped into the water and somehow slowed the car, but it was enough to flood the passenger compartment to the front seats. One of the guys had a old International 4x4 truck and some ropes, and we quickly pulled the car out and drained it. The car was a real beater to begin with, so mostly we just laughed about it. Tim got another 2 years out of it before the rear differential exploded.

-- Same location, same night about 3 am. Only two cars left now- my Datsun 240z and Kevin's 70's Ford Pinto. My girlfriend (now wife) and I decided to go swimming. My friend Kevin and my girlfriends friend had just met that evening, so as a couple who just met a few hours ago, and with no bathing suits, she was not prepared to go skinny dipping with us, so Kevin played wingman and took her home and left us by ourselves. The approach to the boat landing is a very long straightaway, with a gentle down slope, so you can see a car approaching from quite a distance away. About 30 minutes later, while we were skinny dipping, we spot a Ford Pinto approaching. At the time they had a very distinctive headlight pattern so it was very easy to identify it as a Ford Pinto. My girlfriend said "OMG somebody is coming"- what we were really concerned about were strangers, the local police or Maryland Park Police. I told her its a Ford Pinto, and nobody in the police or Park Police drives a Ford Pinto, so it must be Kevin. Well, I was right- it was a Ford Pinto. I was wrong however, as the Park Police had to my surprise a few Ford Pintos at the time (1981 I think). The Pinto pulled up close to my car, and a guy got out. It was not Kevin. I said "who the h*ll are you ?" He identified himself as a Maryland Park Police, and shined his flashlight on the big Maryland sign on the door. We were both naked in the water, and he said "come out out, your trespassing after dark." My wife said "oh no, I am not coming out" and the cop asked 'why". She said "I think you know exactly why" and he laughed pretty hard. He then said "are you ok? are you safe, do you feel in danger in any way? Is this guy putting you in danger ?". She said no, she was fine. He laughed again and said "ok- I am getting in car and pulling up the hill. Get dressed and get out of here, or in 5 minutes I am going to arrest you". He drove up the hill about 200 yards and stopped. We jumped out and got dressed, and pulled out. I honked my horn at him and waved as we left, and he waved back.

I wanted to edit this but some timeout prevented me-

Clarification to those not familiar with Maryland USA: we have County Police, State Police, Maryland Park Police, Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police (aka DNR aka water cops, game warden), and possibly military police depending on where you are located. All of whom are armed and have powers of arrest. There are also Maryland Park Rangers who are not really police.

Lots of memories. Maybe the most memorable was in the early 90's. I was out of town on business, and needed to get back home in time for the wedding of my Brother-in-laws, Sister. Traffic was a lot lighter then, and I covered 300 miles in 3 hours flat. I still recall looking down at the speedo and grinning, on some of the less traveled stretches of I-15. No other motorists saw me driving more than maybe 10 over, the higher speeds were saved for when no other traffic was around. The car, an '89 Porsche 944 Turbo.

Not the actual car, just a pic off the net. But it was the same color, with the same wheels.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Originally Posted By: Shannow
1986 was my gap year

What is a gap year ?

Taking a year off between high school and university to work your head out, experience 12 months of a dead end job, and make up your mind to have a proper go at tertiary education.

I spent it pressing buttons to operate gas pumps.

As customers wandered the store, would tally their purchases up in my head, tell them the total, then load it into the cash register...see them walking up the block, have their usual buy on the counter before they got in the door...was a good fun year.

Bought a 7 yr old 98 BMW 750 IL because it was dirt cheap. Still, a 12 cylinder Bond car.

Was taking a road trip with my daughter with her learner's permit. Back road in Texas, two lanes. Time to pass a semi.

I said in my best, most authoritative 'Dad' voice: "check for traffic, including the rear view mirror. Signal, swing around, briskly accelerate and pull back in the lane when you can see both tires of the semi in the rear view mirror."

We cleared the front bumper of the semi going a hundred mph....

Originally Posted By: Shannow
...he looked out his window at me, waved, pointed his index finger at the dashboard in an overly dramatic pose, pressed something, then took off literally like something out of Mad Max, blue whisp out the exhaust

"Push the button, Max."

Let me know if you get that (very old) pop culture reference.

Another short story, my parents would not let me get my drivers license until I turned 17. My Dad said I was to immature at 16. Well on my 17th birthday I came home from work on the farm that I worked at who produced milk for Clover Farms with there couple hundred head of cows. When I got home there was a big birthday cake & my Dad & Grandmother were sitting out in the kitchen where I walked into. My Mom & Dad divorced when I was young so I was raised by my Fathers parents. By choice -- not that my Mom or Dad did not or could not take care of me. Anyways, after my Dad & Mom Mom sang happy birthday -- my Dad slid over a pair of keys on the table & told me to look out back. There sat a 72 Grand Prix SJ with a 400/6.6L 4 barrel paired with a Turbo 400 trans with 77 thousand original miles. This was in 1989. A guy across the street from me who was the same age did get his license when he turned 16 and from saving his money from delivering papers at such a young age & his parents contributing also -- he got a 1969 El Camino with a 350/5.7L with a 4 barrel sitting on top. I cant remember what kinda automatic trans he had in it. Well, he used to race around town & think he was all that & then some. I immediately had the duals pulled off the Grand Prix & ordered a pair of Head Man Headers paired with Flowmaster duals. My other neighbor was a really handy guy who had a huge garage and put new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/coil on the Grand Prix when I got it back from the exhaust shop & a shift kit. The following day I seen Brian, my neighbor with the El Camino pull out of his driveway & I jumped in the Grand Prix & followed him. Pulled up next to him & lit the tires up in a flash. I said lets go back to an old 1/4 mile road that was in the back roads & just see what we can see. He obliged & off we went. Got on the back road & we both lit rubber for added traction to start. On the count of three from my friend riding with me -- we took off -- I immediately jumped out in front of him smoking the back right tire a good 15-20 feet my buddy said -- till that turbo 400 trans whined & hit second it just chirped meanly and continued launching me forward till I was a good two car lengths easily till we passed the 1/4 mile marker. Couple weeks later we were on a highway acouple miles from where our small town was & he pulled up next to me when we were both doing about 60mph in a 55mph zone. He looked over & tromped it & I did the same -- Grand Prix kicked in instantly & the next thing I known I was high tailing it right by him & last thing I remember looking down and was doing 110mph & the GP was still pulling like crazy. The good ole days!!! Ended up parking the car up at my other Grandmothers property on rural land with about 92 thousand original miles & some punk kids broke all the windows out of it with rocks & I left the car go to [censored] being young & dumb. Really truly wish I had that car parked in my garage this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I guess I'll share one
smile.gif

I was in my early 20's and had purchased a well-worn '87 Mustang GT T-Top. It had a bone-stock 302HO in it, I put underdrive pulleys on it, equal-length shortie headers, an electric fan swap, aluminum driveshaft and a big 'ol honkin K&N cone. It had 2.5" exhaust and no cats into a set of very well broken-in flowmaster 40-series mufflers. It was loud. REALLY loud.

We had two groups that hung out downtown, the domestic guys and the import guys. We didn't mingle.

On the domestic lot, my car was not one of the fastest, which were owned by a number of my friends with H/C/I combo's on their 302's with some form of power adder, be it nitrous or a supercharger. I eventually did heads/cam/intake on mine, but that wouldn't be for another few years.

At this time, my old girl would run high 13's at just over 100Mph. These other cars were all deep 12's, high 11's. Of course there were slower cars than mine, but my car was not what I would consider fast at this juncture, it was a lot of fun however.

The Import lot consisted of a more diverse, but significantly slower cross-section of cars. These were folks that thought a K&N added 20HP and a catback another 50. Nobody had a power adder and the cars were all trimmed out with the best speed-adding bling from the Mr. Gasket isle of Canadian Tire. Whether it was a blue cone filter, bright yellow plug wires, or anodized blue oil fill covers, you name the high performance part, and these guys had them!
wink.gif

One of guys had a Hyundai Accent that my Co-op student had successfully decimated in his mom's Plymouth Breeze. He was eager for redemption and so he egged his entire entourage into having a go at my old Fox body. Light-to-light we went, the old 5.0L dishing out football fields of humiliation. Upon the completion of this epic, we congregated in the Canadian Tire parking lot where my car was surrounded by the confused and curious telling me my car must have been 300-400HP. When I corrected them that it was 225, they could not believe what I was saying. I popped the hood to reveal the stockness in all its glory and was met with gasps as to the prodigious nature of my K&N cone with must have added "50HP" according to one onlooker. When I stated rather firmly that the filter added nothing but noise, they would not have it, that could not be!

Weeks later, a legitimately fast import came to town. It was a Civic with a built B16 or something in it, and a very large hit of nitrous. One of the old domestic boys in an attempt at scathing condescension said he could beat it with his winter beater, which was an IROC Camaro with a 305. He did not fare well. This began the escalation of what would result in one of my more modest friends, whose Fox would run mid 11's at >120Mph like clockwork ask for a race, and was denied, when the owner of said Civic indicated that his car ran 12.8's on the bottle and wasn't going to waste his time getting spanked by an 11-second Mustang. The other boys, having no idea as to what a timeslip meant, but with their dander up over my friend asking if anybody wanted to race "that little black coupe over there" were quickly shushed by their associates, and there was some serious emphasis put on telling them not to race my car which was, ironically, probably the slowest domestic in this conflict since the IROC had gone home
lol.gif

In 1972 mom purchased a new mustang with a 302 automatic. In 1974 I opened a repair shop. One day mom said the mustang was not running that good. I checked it out and it need new plugs and wires. BUT I told her she needed a new engine and I had one for her. She said OK. Well a month before this a towed in a 1970 T Bird with a 429 that was wrecked. The owner gave me the title in exchange for the charges. Well I installed the 429 the C6 trans cut the dual exhaust shortened to fit. Had the driveshaft shortened. Didn't change the diff kept stock with 273 gears. Everything fit perfect. Told mom the car was done. She got into the car started it and said it sounds great. Told her to take a spin and she started to pull out into the street and hit the throttle and the right rear tire lit up and smoked down the street. She turned around,came back to the shop and said ************** engine OUT. Well it took a month to change back because I would take the car out at night and made some good money street racing. Real hard to please Moms Love and miss you Mom.

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind me interjecting a boat drag racing story that happen to me in the 80's.

A friend of mine had a "Ski Barge " brand boat with a 135 Evinrude outboard. "Nickle Beer and Free Love" was the name of the boat. We were on the Illinois River in Illinois and had had a few beers.

His friend pulls up next to the Ski Barge in an I/O boat and they decide to race.
Both boats have a lot of people in them.

Both guys nail it at the same time but my friend has the steering wheel turned completely to the left towards the other boat unbeknownst to him.

The Barge raises it's front end up and at the same time does an immediate left turn right into the other boat. It came right across the little back seat closest to us that was next to the engine cover.

It was a miracle that no one was sitting there as the for sure they would have lost their life.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Hope you guys don't mind me interjecting a boat drag racing story that happen to me in the 80's.

A friend of mine had a "Ski Barge " brand boat with a 135 Evinrude outboard. "Nickle Beer and Free Love" was the name of the boat. We were on the Illinois River in Illinois and had had a few beers.

His friend pulls up next to the Ski Barge in an I/O boat and they decide to race.
Both boats have a lot of people in them.

Both guys nail it at the same time but my friend has the steering wheel turned completely to the left towards the other boat unbeknownst to him.

The Barge raises it's front end up and at the same time does an immediate left turn right into the other boat. It came right across the little back seat closest to us that was next to the engine cover.

It was a miracle that no one was sitting there as the for sure they would have lost their life.

Oh geez, as a lifelong boater that made my nutz retract.

In high school, a few of us were riding in a friend's POS early '90s Taurus. Auto trans, of course. Every now and then he'd do a neutral drop from redline and spin the tires. I remember one of my friends telling him he's going to break his car if he keeps doing that. He said no, I do it all the time, it hasn't broken anything. A few neutral drops later all he gets is a loud bang and the car won't move in any gear. Because we were young and dumb, I towed it to his house with an equally as [censored] Corolla and a few pieces of rope. He told his dad it just broke, and he bought him a brand new Civic.

My other friend was driving once, in his parents' car, and a rock hit him perfectly from above and shattered his sunroof. The rest of us who were riding with him all confirmed his story, but his parents still punished him because we must have been "horsing around" and broke it.

Then there was the time we made "body kits" out of cut-up cardboard boxes and put them on an old Volvo and Camry and drove around like we were in the Fast and the Furious.

Last edited:
It had to be 1966 or ’67 (pre-metric Great White North). I had just spent $150 for a black 1956 Austin A40 that had been whimpering to be adopted from among the other “specials” in the back row of a used-car lot across the street from the Austin dealership. Canada imported British cars then, all left-hand drive, of course.

My car looked like this, but the pic's off the net.

Renault Dauphines were the only cars the Austin could take on in a race with the certainty of winning. I know because I had had two, one for about a week, just before the Austin gazed into my eyes with pleading headlights. No radio and the heater was theoretical at best — no surprise — but that 150 bucks had also bought a spiffy red-leather interior and electric wipers — whoo hoo!

The Austin had a four-on-the-column shifter. First is where reverse is in an old North American domestic three on the tree. The rest of the forward-gear positions match those of the old three speeds (though a rare few domestics had four on the column). Reverse in the Austin was a push toward the dash in neutral, then down — the H pattern of a four on the floor.

I was stopped for a red light at a crosswalk on a one-way street, when lo and behold an identical Austin pulled up to my right. We nodded and he gunned (well, sorta) his engine. A drag race by two 1956 Austins was as ridiculous then as it sounds now, but the two cars were equals, so what the hey.

The light turned green and we each took off. I was a hair ahead when I finally shifted into second at a screamingly fast 12 mph or so.

He shifted into reverse.

Well, grind me a few pounds while you’re at it.

I left him in the dust, well satisfied and sure in the knowledge that my expert driving wouldn’t desert me in the crunch.

R-i-i-i-ght.

My car was totalled a couple of months later when a fully loaded gravel truck ran a stop sign, ripping off the right-hand side of my car from the front bumper to the back door, which was merely crumpled. I was in the curb lane driving the 40-mph speed limit and lay across the front seat (Seat belts? What are seat belts?) when I saw that the crash was inevitable. I opened my eyes to an interesting, static, picture-window view of the street from the outside lane. I was unscathed and in the fullness of time got my 150 bucks back from the truck’s insurance company.

But if the other guy in the drag race to end all drag races had seen my Austin’s final exit, he would have had the last laugh and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back