Let's All Point and Laugh at the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very impressed with your writing skill. Did not need pictures. Your words were worth a thousand pictures. Good job!

thumbsup2.gif
Nice story! Well done sir, many of us have been there...

I had VERY similar experiences more times than I like to admit. But it always feels good afterwards to know that YOU figured it out, and fixed something with your own hands instead of having someone else do it.

I guess we've all had something similar happen at one time or another (or more!) Good on ya' for maintaining a sense of humour.

I'm a little confused by the original cause of the issue. You say a fuel shut-off petcock had failed. I've run plenty of equipment where the fuel shutoff was just left open all the time, or the equipment had no shutoff and all, and none of the crankcases ended up full of fuel. Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I guess we've all had something similar happen at one time or another (or more!) Good on ya' for maintaining a sense of humour.

I'm a little confused by the original cause of the issue. You say a fuel shut-off petcock had failed. I've run plenty of equipment where the fuel shutoff was just left open all the time, or the equipment had no shutoff and all, and none of the crankcases ended up full of fuel. Can you elaborate?

If I had to guess, it would be that the float needle wasn't seated properly and was allowing gas through. Wouldn't normally be a problem with the petcock functioning correctly, but a constant flow of fuel to a carb with a float valve stuck open / not fully sealed would eventually allow gas into the cylinder and then the crankcase.

Unfortunately the carb was flambéed and served with a garnish of fire extinguisher powder, so an inspection wasn't really of much use
grin.gif

At least it wasn't raining and your power wasn't out.
Those setbacks are a lot more irritating when you're having a real emergency.

On the plus side I don't think anyone here would laugh at you for that experience. I think we can all commiserate with you on that one. Maybe even drink an extra beer for you.

I usually throw something get a beer then go look for the parts I scattered in my rage. I spent a half hour the other day getting a spring on my mower axle in the "right " place. After all the struggle I realized I was wrong and it was right from the start. Took another 15 minutes to put it back where it was. That was parts locked in a vise and using 2 prybars channel locks a hammer and a screw driver for no reason

Well, I have a couple of those Chonda specials (rough attempts at Honda motor) and gave away a couple more. Several fuel and hose problems and yes not long to have the starter assembly 'starburst' - but for some reason plenty pull start assembly kits on eBay. My B&S gen has been far better ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Well, I have a couple of those Chonda specials (rough attempts at Honda motor) and gave away a couple more. Several fuel and hose problems and yes not long to have the starter assembly 'starburst' - but for some reason plenty pull start assembly kits on eBay. My B&S gen has been far better ...

Can't argue about the B&S, I picked up a 5,000w / 6,500w off CraigsList for $160. Has 3 hours on it and just needed an oil / spark plug / air filter change to run beautifully. It's considerably quieter than the Champion that's for sure.

On the other hand the Champion was on fire, hosed down with a fire extinguisher, completely flooded with gas, and for $60 - $70 in parts now runs just like it did fresh out of the box. Hard to argue with that even if it is noisier.

I have the same generator gifted to me from my father. I have only 'had to use it'..a couple of times. The last time that i needed to use it i noticed a smell of gas when i pulled it out..gas was dripping like crazy through a weephole in the carb. I took it apart (no electric)..to see if it was gummed up or whatever...couldnt see what if anything was wrong with it...everything appeared clean and normal and moving as it should. I put it back together and still dripped like crazy..

When power came back on found a carb for it on amazon for $12. Replaced carb and all good.

Very easy swap on the carb takes about 15 mins tops. No idea if this is a common problem or what...or how the heck they can sell a carb for $12 and still make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back