Less than one year old Honda push mower won't start this season

I've had trouble with my GCV for almost a decade. Started fine the first year, but every year after, it seems like it isn't (auto) choking. I replaced the wax pellet last year, and it didn't help at all.

The funny thing was that every time I removed and disassembled the carb, that first start after would work! But 10 minutes later-no go.

I think the float level is too low, but it's a one-piece plastic float, and no way to adjust the float level. I considered melting a hole in the top of the float, and adding solder inside, but don't know how to reseal the hole to ensure the float doesn't fill up with gas when running the engine.

Now I tilt the mower up on left side wheels at 45 degrees, until gas just dribbles out the carb. Then tilting at 45 degrees right, the engine will start.
I probable should drill a hole in the air filter housing, so I can just squirt gas into the carb mouth... :)
Try changing the fuel filter.

I think a lot of you are fibbing on how well you maintain your Honda’s, my GCV 160 on my toro is a dream. I buy the ethanol free cans of gas, it’s never once sipped a drop of pump gas, which last me about a month and I stored it dry. I took and replaced the filter, plug and oil at the start of this season and sprayed some amsoil power foam in the cylinder while the plug was out and then tossed about 1 or 2 caps full of gum out all in one into the last bit of TruFuel I had from last season. This months flavor is a can of VP racing fuel 4 stroke gasoline, I’ve had zero issues with it so I plan to continue this regimen

I think a lot of you are fibbing on how well you maintain your Honda’s, my GCV 160 on my toro is a dream. I buy the ethanol free cans of gas, it’s never once sipped a drop of pump gas, which last me about a month and I stored it dry. I took and replaced the filter, plug and oil at the start of this season and sprayed some amsoil power foam in the cylinder while the plug was out and then tossed about 1 or 2 caps full of gum out all in one into the last bit of TruFuel I had from last season. This months flavor is a can of VP racing fuel 4 stroke gasoline, I’ve had zero issues with it so I plan to continue this regimen
You do a lot more than I do.
Other than an oil change and some stabilizer in the fuel, I pretty much ignore my mower. Still runs great.

You do a lot more than I do.
Other than an oil change and some stabilizer in the fuel, I pretty much ignore my mower. Still runs great.
I didn’t plan on it but I had a husqvarna with a B&S that was just a nightmare to start after one season so I said never again, although I will say my TroyBilt with a B&S I’ve had for around 6 years and it’s been able to start with minor work every season, I took and turned the idle speed up on it and added a gator blade I use it as a brush hog so it gets just beat on but for some reason it won’t die

Back