less oil consumption with t/a

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using mobil 1 ep 10W 30 and was adding 1 grt. about every 1600 miles(8000oci). I switched to mobil clean 5000 10w 30 and was adding 1 qrt. about every 1600 miles( 5000 oci). Now I have T/A syn blend 10w 30 and I have only added 16 oz. in 1600 miles currently about 2200 miles into 5000 mile oci. This car is a 98 mazda 626 2.0 with 205000 miles on it and runs great.I do not want to come off as a mobil basher, just thought I would share this info. I still use mobil in my 92 GMC safari with 198000 miles on it and thats all I've ever put in it,(ooops)Except for the occasional exxon supperflo.(with no top off on the oci).

I tried to express how bad a product Drive Clean is compared to CHEVRON - HAVOLINE but i get riped apart by people who dont have a clue about engine lubricants, so i will let people like you tell about real in field results using Mobil. BTW good post LEEL.

My wife has a 1998 Civic EX with 125K miles and I have never had to add any make up oil when I use Mobil 5000 or Exxon Superflo. Since we will get rid of the car next year, I do 7K OCI without any problems or make up oil.

Some oils just work better in certain engines, that goes for all (Syn & Dino oils). As Bob Miller said, Havoline is an excellent oil.

drums57....

Why the Mobil bashing? What, specifically, makes Chevron/Havoline so superior to Mobil, and where are your getting your facts? What are your credentials?

Not looking to instigate a flame-fest... just wondering. I have been trying to decide between Mobil and Havoline, and in all of my searches, I have seen you strongly proclaim that Havoline is superior. I'd like to learn why.
smile.gif

My biggest gripe with M1 over the years is the oil consumption some experience with it. Otherwise I still think it's the best over all synthetic oil available. I personally have never had any issues with oil consumption with M1 and neither has my brother. Depends on the car/engine for some reason. Mobil's Noak #'s are very good too.

I experienced the same thing with Mobil products...The drive clean, the Mobil 5000, Mobil supersyn, and Mobile EP were easily consumed.

Chevron products stopped the consumption completely...

Apparantly in cars that are prone to consume oils Mobil can't stand up to them as well as Chevron...

You would think running an expensive synthetic that runs $4.50 more per quart would be the solution to oil consumption...Nope.

Not trying to hurt anyones feelings but IMHO the Mobil synthetic is an inferior oil to regular Chevron dino.

A $6/quart synthetic oil shouldn't get consumed that easily...The Mobil UOA's aren't very impressive either.

I'm currently conducting an experiment on my wife's '96 Cavalier with the 2.2L engine. She bought the car new, and had the oil changed at the dealer every 3000 miles up until 15,000 miles, when I put the car on M1. As soon as it went on M1, it used an average of a quart every 1000 miles. That rate remained constant ever since, up until the last oil change at 146,000 miles. A lot of consumption, but I just assumed that the engine liked to use oil. My wife insists that the car never used oil before it was put on M1. I finally tired of the expense of topping it off so often with M1, so this last oil change I used TropArtic syn blend in it. I want to see if the oil consumption disappears or is at least reduced. It's too soon to tell how this will turn out. The valvetrain is definately quieter with the TropArctic.

I've run M1 in my '89 GTA with the 350 for 11 years and never burned a drop, even with 171k on the clock. Our 2001 Grand Caravan doesn't use any M1, either. Just the Cavalier.

MACH5: i will bet you will reduce your oil consumption with the TROP-ARTIC, please report your results. People on here say that i am Mobil bashing but with fellows like you and LELL they will know i am just telling it like it is when it comes to how bad these Mobil products are.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you want to bash an oil, go for it. I'll say again though that for some reason, M1 does burn off in some engines more so then others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back