LED shop light recommendations?

Just as the title says. One corner of my barn has fluorescent shop lights for the workshop area while the rest is just light sockets here and there that work when they want to.

I’m wanting LED’s. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone had any luck with the UFO style? I saw some a while back that said I’d only need only 6 for my sized pole barn.

Check out Home Depot, and the Harbor Freight offerings. I have both, honestly I'd go with whatever is cheaper if you decide to go that route. I found no difference in quality between the two. I haven't tried the UFO style.

I just bought a few of the LED shoplights from walmart. Hyper tough or whatever the brand is. Very impressed with them! I have two of those and two BJs LED shop lights installed in my garage. Makes for a lot nicer light than flourescents. Also, they turn on instantly.

I just bought a few of the LED shoplights from walmart. Hyper tough or whatever the brand is. Very impressed with them! I have two of those and two BJs LED shop lights installed in my garage. Makes for a lot nicer light than flourescents. Also, they turn on instantly.
I recently bought the Walmart LED shoplights for a corner of my basement. I really like it.

The fluorescent fixtures can be converted to led tubes... no need wasting a fixture.

As for bulb sockets you can get adapters and a couple 4ft fixtures to plug in.. whats the square footage you're working with? this way you don't under or over buy.

Yo, dlundblad: "....light sockets...that work when they want to." Fixing that condition is JOB #1, pal.

If you have new LED bulbs in old sockets you may want to make certain the center contact (often flat in LED screw-in bulbs) is touching the hot completely. More than once I've had to add a small blob of solder to an LED bulb to stop it from buzzing.

SHORT VERSION: Don't burn your building down....even if it's only a pole shed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I bought these barrina leds off Amazon.

You can link them together with wires or adapters. I was able to get a damaged package from Amazon for much cheaper. Check YouTube for sample setups.

I just built a 32 X 40 with 12 foot ceiling. My electrician installed 8 RAB Strip lights SMW4N-LED48 on the ceiling, & another 2 over the work bench area on a separate switch. Lights are rated at 45 W/ 5111 lumens, 4000 color temp, and rated for 50000 hours led life.
I have a white metal interior cladding, which seems to make it brighter too.

I have three of the "UFO" bulbs in my garage; one per stall. Massive improvement over the LED floods I had in there previously. I originally planned to convert to shop lights but don't feel the need anymore.

How they actually compare to a four foot shop light, I have no idea.

I recently swapped the fluorescent T8 bulbs in my shop with these from Amazon. I was planning on removing the ballasts but after trying them plug-n-play I left them in. My shop is 20x20 and 10 fixtures(20 bulbs) is way overkill but is great when I need the extra light.

I had nothing but trouble with my Home Depot fluorescent fixtures in my garage. They flicker and only one of the two bulbs wants to light. Replaced with a couple run of the mill LED fixtures at Home Depot and they are great. They just work. No drama.

Reactions: JC1
I bought some Bell & Howell Triburst LEDs from Home Depot for my 26x 28 garage with 10 ft walls. I like them. Got two for the front, now one of these days I'll get two more for the back...

There's so many options now for LEDs it's crazy. Stuff is getting TOO bright these days LOL.

Like said, if you want to keep existing fluorescent fixtures in place, you can retrofit them with LED tubes. Problem is, all you'll find in stores now are tubes that need the old fluorescent ballasts left intact in order to work. That's a no-go for me. I've mail ordered many ballast bypass 48" tubes and retrofitted the fixtures, but it's not worth the cost IMO. Only if you want to keep the old fixture in place.

Yo, dlundblad: "....light sockets...that work when they want to." Fixing that condition is JOB #1, pal.

If you have new LED bulbs in old sockets you may want to make certain the center contact (often flat in LED screw-in bulbs) is touching the hot completely. More than once I've had to add a small blob of solder to an LED bulb to stop it from buzzing.

SHORT VERSION: Don't burn your building down....even if it's only a pole shed.
Why fix something that I plan on replacing? It’s a long story I didn’t plan on explaining, but the PO did a ****ty ass job installing/ placing the lights.

I want it done my way.

It’s a 35x55 pole building with concrete floor. I spend a lot of time in it.

To replace the flourescent, you can rewire it to bypass the ballast plus you just need the electric to be connected on one end NOT both end.

The light socket can always converted to the long flourescent type LED and you can buy those long lights already built with fitting so all you need to do is take of the light socket and hook it up to the wire from the fittings.

A lot of sources as mentioned above including HF.

You can buy the one with Daylight color.

Costco (if you or a friend have a membership) has some Feit 48" LED's. They go on sale for around 30 bucks for a pair of lights. We installed 4 lights in my son's 22'x38' garage (with 10" ceilings) and they lit it up like daylight. The 4000* temp is a nice bright white (I hate when they get too much on the blue side).

Back