LED license plate lights. Tried the Sylvania Super Bright LED - Recommended.

2) The 193 & 194 bulbs (3 & 4 watt, respectively) have a thinner base than the 5 watt version so I've always been leery of loose fit. The license plate bulbs I've seen are all 5W5. One has to ask why the industry didn't designate a 195.
Never thought that the mounting points varied much but that could explain two annoyances I've had with the "universal" LEDs I swapped into various lights on our different cars (reverse lights, license plate lights, etc). On my G35, the license plate bulbs always end up flickering after a few months and on my wife's Fusion, the front "parking" lights (not sure what they're called nowadays) ends up flickering as well. I put in new LEDs in both and they're good for a while, then they do it again. I've just put the regular incandescent bulbs back in.

For the most part, I find retrofit LED bulbs not really worth the effort. They're either work, are DOA/flicker or die after a few months. I do have them under the hood, trunk and foot well locations on some of our cars as brightness improvement.

I tried replacing a 93 incandescent with an 1156 incandescent under the hood of the Camaro. The 1156 smoked itself to death in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

I’ve had a few of those Philips led bulbs. They are the only ones I will bother with. Haven’t had a single one fail. The brightness at both hi/lo levels are good and accurate. BUT, if one runs them in high mode full time, like some forward DRLs running amber turns, they probably won’t last that way - they get HOT in that manner. The lo circuit stays very cool, but the hi circuit is probably intermittent duty only.

For the most part, I find retrofit LED bulbs not really worth the effort. They're either work, are DOA/flicker or die after a few months. I do have them under the hood, trunk and foot well locations on some of our cars as brightness improvement.

I tried replacing a 93 incandescent with an 1156 incandescent under the hood of the Camaro. The 1156 smoked itself to death in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

Same here. Id rather get the $4 pair of incandescent bulbs and be done with it.

1) I'm glad you like your LEDs and that they work.
2) The 193 & 194 bulbs (3 & 4 watt, respectively) have a thinner base than the 5 watt version so I've always been leery of loose fit. The license plate bulbs I've seen are all 5W5. One has to ask why the industry didn't designate a 195.
3) I'm from the old, "don't stand out" school of automotive appearance, so no $25-$30 rear end LED beacons for me, thank you.
As to #3, said it before I could.

"Sir, why are your license plate lights so bright. They could distract other motorists."

I'm almost sure they could find something in motor vehicle code to write, even failure to maintain lamps.

Whatever the OE brightness is... for me..

The lady across the street from me -the 95 year old, still driving lady- had a conspicuous arrangement of blown rear bulbs.

I offered to clean up her look and cited the possibility of law enforcement noticing her.

She agreed 100%.

Another update:: Completely forgot about this thread lol. upgraded the interior lights and the trunk light on the Kia with Sylvania LEDs now 😂 plug and play and they look very nice no flickering anything like that. They make the interior look modern 😃
B3A9A0FD-E984-44E1-A77F-00EC2158BDFC.jpeg
E15325D4-F132-4B8B-B184-D87BFA18672D.jpeg
33A689DB-5CD2-40DF-ABA1-58D2A230E062.jpeg
16CDBB31-C7DB-4C87-9817-3201AF7AEC99.jpeg

I replaced all my bulb in my 06 Acura TL with the Zevo also. They’re the right brightness compared to other aftermarket 194 bulbs. I had some Lastfit 194 around and installed those in the map light first. My car looked like a grow operation it was so bright inside. The Lastfit bulbs messed with my keyless entry also.

Back