LED headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sylvania Zxe are junk along with any blue coated halogen bulb. Blue light is terrible for both the driver and the oncoming traffic. Blue light has a short wavelength and scatters readily and is very difficult for the eyes to focus on.

In this link you'll see a discussion about a test showing that blue coatings reduces visible light by 66% and and increases glare by 33%.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

Regardless of what any test says, I wasn't effected by those problems, and the light was a clean white! Even standing back 50 yards and looking at the lights head on I couldn't see any blue tinge at all. The ZXE's are DOT approved and legal, so I have no qualms about using them. My only real complaint about them was driving in a snowstorm, they tend to reflect the white of the snow really hard and that makes driving a little difficult. I can't tell you how many times the lights have alerted me from hitting a deer or other animals at night that I wouldn't have been able to see with the OEM bulbs..
To each his own!

the white light might look sexy but in terms of usefulness on the road, bright halogen is much better to actually see and differentiate things on the road.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
the white light might look sexy but in terms of usefulness on the road, bright halogen is much better to actually see and differentiate things on the road.

I have observed this as well. But, since a lot of new/expensive cars are coming with non-halogen lighting there is plenty of placebo effect taking place.

so what is a good 9006 low beams bulb?

I got Sylvania to last 14 months not sure how good that is. The beam wasn't that impressive in terms of throw or flood, I expected a bit more. Thought the color temperature was good.

If you don't go crazy with "enhanced, extra bright" halogen bulbs and stick with a good quality (Hella, Osram, Philips etc.) part they should last long enough to get dim with age - 5+ years. I've gone through two sets of "better" H11 bulbs in my Mazda3 and just ended up back with the original Philips (German) bulbs that came with the car. They probably have a total of 3 years use while the other ones I tried, which provided negligible improvement, lasted no more than a year. I found that more Lumens does not necessarily equate to better vision.

Originally Posted By: pacem
so what is a good 9006 low beams bulb?

I got Sylvania to last 14 months not sure how good that is. The beam wasn't that impressive in terms of throw or flood, I expected a bit more. Thought the color temperature was good.

One of the best 9006 is the Phillips Xtreme vision, but the best bulb for the 9006 is to modify a Philips 9012 HIR2 bulb by making a small tab trim.

This will only work if you have a full bulb shield on the headlight housing, not a ring style shield since the 9012 doesn't have a blacked out tip like 9006. If you don't have the bulb shield you will blind everyone on the road.

If the headlight housings are hazed or cloudy it might be time for new oem housings if you want the best performance. Unfortunately this is costly for most applications.

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

I bought new oem housings for my Buick which takes 9005 and 9006 and I run 9011 in the high beams and 9012 in the low beams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back