LED headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i put the LED running lamps on and they look good. Now the headlights give off a yellow tint. So now im thinking bout swapping out the headlights to LED. I dont kno if they are legal here n MO. Anyway to find out? I see plenty of new cars with them so i dont think there would b a problem.

They're only legal when they're factory OEM. If you buy them, ask if they're legal for street use. They will all have disclaimers that say not valid for street use, but most of the sellers don't actually post that. The major problem is that projectors have to be designed for them, they can either be halogen, HID or LED, the wrong light in the wrong housing means it won't be focused and will blind other drivers. You can't put one in the other.

My cousin had LED bulbs and they are on par with cheapo hid kits it seems. The LED in my RX (oe) ought to be illegal. [censored] those things are bright.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
So i put the LED running lamps on and they look good. Now the headlights give off a yellow tint. So now im thinking bout swapping out the headlights to LED. I dont kno if they are legal here n MO. Anyway to find out? I see plenty of new cars with them so i dont think there would b a problem.

Pretty sure this isn't technically legal. Headlights and their housing are designed to meet DOT criteria and there is a lot of engineering involved on how the light spreads, etc. When you swap for an LED in a housing designed for a halogen you are completely changing the function of the headlight.

Last edited:
The engineers who designed your OE headlamps are probably a lot smarter than the Chinese ones that designed the $60 eBay pair you linked to in your other thread.

No it's not legal, safe, effective or smart. You will get the color you want but that's it. Your headlights will no longer be effective and will likely blind oncoming traffic too.

LED sealed beams (as far as I know, only 7" are available as of now) are perfectly legal. If you're talking LED replacements for a replaceable bulb (H4, etc) that's a different matter.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
LED sealed beams (as far as I know, only 7" are available as of now) are perfectly legal. If you're talking LED replacements for a replaceable bulb (H4, etc) that's a different matter.

As much as the 7" sealed beam is derided, one advantage those of us who have vehicles using them have is that we can make perfectly safe and legal lighting swaps that are plug and play(plus the nice fact that we get a glass lens that doesn't cloud and a new reflector/lens every time we change a lamp).

I'm not a big LED person, but I'm tempted to look into 7" sealed beams both for current draw and brightness reasons. I'm running halogens now(a nice upgrade from the standard factory incandescent) but would consider an LED.

I drove an hour in the dark this am (highway speed) ... prolly every 5th vehicle had blinding lights including fog lights with aftermarket bulbs. The last time we had any grip on this was indeed the sealed beam lamp

So i put the LED running lamps on and they look good.

What's a "running lamp" ?

I have done LED headlight conversions in projector hosuings that have all met or exceeded OEM beam quality and sharpness.

I have done LED headlight conversions in reflector housings that matched OEM beam pattern 10 out of 10, and did not produce any more glare than stock.

I have done LED headlight conversions in reflector housings that made me want to smash my headlights out they were so bad.

As far as the OEM is concerned, some of the OEM's should be shoved into a ditch and shot for how bad their illumination, beam pattern, and reach is concerned. They are absolutely no authority at all on headlight design and effectiveness.

This is good to know about sealed beams. One of my kids want to do LED's to replace his sealed beams and I told him it was a bad idea. Looks like I'll have to research more. I just hope he doesn't go for those daytime running rings around the light itself. I think those are tacky, though they probably would look good on some cars.

I'd recommend something like Sylvania ZXEs, they're high performing halogens that give off a clean, white light over the dim yellow. Cost about $50 for two bulbs here. Only downside is because they burn hotter and brighter, they don't last very long, I got just shade over a year out of mine, and that's using them only at night or on inclement weather days. Some people drive with their lights on 24/7 regardless and that obviously will shorten the lifespan drastically.

PIAA XtremeVision are another (slightly pricier) option to consider over the ZXE's too. The ones for my Tacoma run about $90 a set here. You have to pay a bit for quality bulbs, cheap ones wont last long! I tried that with my 7.3 Powerstroke with a $20 set of "performance" halogens off eBay, they lasted about 2 weeks..

Sylvania Zxe are junk along with any blue coated halogen bulb. Blue light is terrible for both the driver and the oncoming traffic. Blue light has a short wavelength and scatters readily and is very difficult for the eyes to focus on.

In this link you'll see a discussion about a test showing that blue coatings reduces visible light by 66% and and increases glare by 33%.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sylvania Zxe are junk along with any blue coated halogen bulb. Blue light is terrible for both the driver and the oncoming traffic. Blue light has a short wavelength and scatters readily and is very difficult for the eyes to focus on.

In this link you'll see a discussion about a test showing that blue coatings reduces visible light by 66% and and increases glare by 33%.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

^^^ This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back