headlight housing{s} for 99 to 04 Grand Prix

So, who make a good complete headlight housing for these 99 to 04 Grand Prix's?
For now, at least, I only want the right side, due to the possible high cost of a good one. Will get the left one at a later time.
The one{s} I got from www. carparts Dot com are not cutting it for too long.
Autoparts dot com does have a LT warranty on these, and believe me, these things need a warranty!
Plus, you have to buy a new one, pay for shipping, pay for shipping and send the old one back, IF they determine it was defective, then they will refund your money. Minus of course shipping both ways.
Don't know if it's worth the hassle and cost?
Do I have to try to find a new old stock GM one or something?

Last edited:
I can get a GM one on ebay for $133.60.
Not sure if I want to spend that kind of money though.
It's just the capsule part too.
It looks good though!
1701204687794.jpg

1701204539396.jpg

I can get a GM one on ebay for $133.60.
Not sure if I want to spend that kind of money though.
It's just the capsule part too.
It looks good though!
View attachment 190691

View attachment 190689

If you want the best, write the check. A new OEM assembly for that gen GP is going to be very hard to find now.

If you want the best, write the check. A new OEM assembly for that gen GP is going to be very hard to find now.
OK Maybe I'll suck it up and get the OEM.
What's the deal with these aftermarket headlight assemblies?
Any good or junk?

Any good or junk?
When it comes to headlights, nothing is going to match the real OEM design that was actually tested and approved by DOT standards. Anything from Amazon or eBay will likely be substandard.

Those that have used, Is the TYC headlight assemblies still considered one of the better aftermarket brands for headlights?
I have the tyc headlights on the civic.. They're better than the oem's. There are some hot spots on the spread of the light but it's much better than the vague flood light version of the stock lights! The car has gone through two sets since 2010 or 2011.. It's because the lens clouded up from UV rays.. They weren't much $$$ like $45 or so an assembly. I consider them a better brand. Some people don't like them, but for me they're good.

EDIT : finding the link at amazon..
passenger side: https://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-5121-...3751&sprefix=tyc+20512109,aps,235&sr=8-1&th=1

drivers side: https://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-5122-...73866&sprefix=tyc+20512209,aps,89&sr=8-1&th=1

looks like the driver's side will take a couple weeks to get, I bet amazon is getting it directly from TYC

Last edited:
Any good or junk?
I don't know about spec-d for headlights.. I have their rear strut tower bar on the civic, it was decent enough quality but that's just a metal bar with mounting tabs.. I think the no-names I'd stay away from.. I guess I sound like a commercial.. all the TYC stuff I've bought has been good. I did have to warranty an HVAC blower fan but after that it was fine.

I have the tyc headlights on the civic.. They're better than the oem's. There are some hot spots on the spread of the light but it's much better than the vague flood light version of the stock lights! The car has gone through two sets since 2010 or 2011.. It's because the lens clouded up from UV rays.. They weren't much $$$ like $45 or so an assembly. I consider them a better brand. Some people don't like them, but for me they're good.

EDIT : finding the link at amazon..
passenger side: https://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-5121-09-Passenger-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B000BKZH48/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PHI5E2DJ95U9&keywords=TYC+20512109&qid=1701273751&sprefix=tyc+20512109,aps,235&sr=8-1&th=1

drivers side: https://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-5122-09-Pontiac-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B000BL5MYM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VCB2C1DHWGWK&keywords=TYC+20512209&qid=1701273866&sprefix=tyc+20512209,aps,89&sr=8-1&th=1

looks like the driver's side will take a couple weeks to get, I bet amazon is getting it directly from TYC
I only need the passenger side right now. It was getting moisture in it, and it popped the bulb! I sealed it up with RTV, but then I noticed the plastic reflector inside was all flaked off. These are aftermarket too. I replaced them a bit less than 3 years ago. They are Depo brand from carparts.com
They have a LT warranty, but don't know if it's worth the trouble.
you have to buy a new one, plus pay for shipping, pay for shipping to send the old one back, IF they determine it was defective, then they will refund your money. Minus of course shipping both ways.
Don't know if it's worth the hassle and cost?

I only need the passenger side right now. It was getting moisture in it, and it popped the bulb! I sealed it up with RTV, but then I noticed the plastic reflector inside was all flaked off. These are aftermarket too. I replaced them a bit less than 3 years ago. They are Depo brand from carparts.com
They have a LT warranty, but don't know if it's worth the trouble.
so the depo?? But only 3 years until it went bad? wow.. the TYC, first batch lasted from 2010-11 to 2019! so eight years.. Then this new set was from 19 til now.. still ok. No flaking off of the reflector. oh and no moisture ever in either of the TYC.. I know people will say they're junk but for me they would be a B+ or an A- rating in my book.

Depends on what is the higher cost (such as shipping the old DEPO brand back, etc) than buying a new TYC for about $40.

I just read your other quote, missed that! oh forget it.. paying all that shipping and having to buy a new one?!! and wasting that money.. heck when I warrantied out the TYC blower fan, all I did was buy a new one for the replacement and they refunded that as warranty!! Not bad at all.

Yea
so the depo?? But only 3 years until it went bad? wow.. the TYC, first batch lasted from 2010-11 to 2019! so eight years.. Then this new set was from 19 til now.. still ok. No flaking off of the reflector. oh and no moisture ever in either of the TYC.. I know people will say they're junk but for me they would be a B+ or an A- rating in my book.

Depends on what is the higher cost (such as shipping the old DEPO brand back, etc) than buying a new TYC for about $40.

I just read your other quote, missed that! oh forget it.. paying all that shipping and having to buy a new one?!! and wasting that money.. heck when I warrantied out the TYC blower fan, all I did was buy a new one for the replacement and they refunded that as warranty!! Not bad at all.
Yeah, they should just let you send a picture of the bad unit like Tekton and Gear wrench does.
Sounds like they maybe want us to ship it back so they can give us a runaround.
Amazon is good for that!

They're NOT junk if they lasted 8 years! Yeah, I have read they are "junk" too. You proved otherwise!
the TYC, first batch lasted from 2010-11 to 2019! so eight years.. Then this new set was from 19 til now.. still ok. No flaking off of the reflector. oh and no moisture ever in either of the TYC.. I know people will say they're junk but for me they would be a B+ or an A- rating in my book.

I read that regular car wax will help protect the plastic lenses.
I've heard that too, tried that with the factory Civic headlights and it slowed the UV clouding but eventually the thing just got what I call cataracts

Yea

Yeah, they should just let you send a picture of the bad unit like Tekton and Gear wrench does.
Sounds like they maybe want us to ship it back so they can give us a runaround.
Amazon is good for that!
it sure sounds like a runaround the way they're making you send it back, and buy a new one? I could understand shipping it back, but buying another? um.. no.. fix what you sold me originally!

They're NOT junk if they lasted 8 years! Yeah, I have read they are "junk" too. You proved otherwise!
thanks! yeah 8 years isn't bad for about $45 for the Civic! Maybe other versions are junk but I've even read reviews of the civic's version as being bad.. Sure, I had a hot spot in the light's spread from the driver's assembly but I didn't mind, finally some LIGHT at the front of the car! I guess nothing is perfect but if anyone said the OEM Civic lights were good, they're full of it! those lights sucked from the factory!

A lot of guys have had good luck with TYC alternators and starters!
oh ya.. I forgot that too.. I do have a TYC alternator in the civic, it was made in taiwan and it is going on 10 years old never a problem. Also finally kept the Civic's battery charged up! Usually the Civic's battery would die about 3.5-4 years, it's now going on 5 years old! I have a battery tester from Ancel, nothing wrong with that battery.. so yeah Ive been happy with the results.. I don't want to sound like a TYC commercial, I know nothing is perfect...

the TYC, first batch lasted from 2010-11 to 2019! so eight years.. Then this new set was from 19 til now.. still ok. No flaking off of the reflector. oh and no moisture ever in either of the TYC.. I know people will say they're junk but for me they would be a B+ or an A- rating in my book.
That's all y'a need!
Works for me!
That's like "WBC" IIRC Don't cost much, some say they are junk right away, But GM Tech boy IIRC (don't feel like looking ATM} is his handle tested them and has had good results!!
I have 2 of them sitting on the shelf to go on my car, so I guess I will find out.

That's all y'a need!
Works for me!
That's like "WBC" IIRC Don't cost much, some say they are junk right away, But GM Tech boy IIRC (don't feel like looking ATM} is his handle tested them and has had good results!!
I have 2 of them sitting on the shelf to go on my car, so I guess I will find out.
what's WBC? I do get what you're saying, sometimes cheap is good..

Yeah! Cause there's no guarantee they are going to refund your money.
Well, then again, I never tried to warranty anything with them, so I guess I can't honestly comment!

Back