LED headlight bulbs in reflector type housing (09 Elantra)

Holy glare! I did leds in my 2016 300’s projector housings for awhile, which they handled pretty well BUT they sucked in any sort of adverse weather. Blue light just scatters like crazy.

PnP LEDs are garbage, full stop.

Very most actually are, but not true for Osram's (NightBreaker LED) and
Philips' (Extreme Ultinon LED) latest H4 and H7 road-legal offerings they
sell in Europe. Even better light distribution compared to tungsten-wire.
Use Google translator:

Philips-Ultinon-Pro6000-H4-LED-169Gallery-f797de8e-1854106.jpg

Philips-Ultinon-Pro6000-H4-LED-169Gallery-6fb5f51c-1854104.jpg

The biggest thing LED makers need to do is bring down the temperature of the light. 6k+ is absolute trash. The LEDs need to be 3K-5K. 4000-4300K is like the perfect sweet spot between brightness and color tint.
THIS! THIS RIGHT HERE!!! I asked some light engineers once about this, they said “at a given kelvin, a light can appear wildly different despite being the same ‘color’ on paper.”

SAE also gives a select range of what is considered “white”

Attachments

• 78A72870-AD8A-4058-BAB8-AA83D4E9557B.jpeg
    78A72870-AD8A-4058-BAB8-AA83D4E9557B.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 48B96E13-C97C-41D4-9CB6-06AA5DC22C5D.jpeg
    48B96E13-C97C-41D4-9CB6-06AA5DC22C5D.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
Good morning everyone!. Im on a lighting kick haha!. I upgraded the Sonata's H7 projector low beams, and H8 fog lights to fan less plug and play LED bulbs, and the results absolutely amazing... It looks factory and functions fantastically. Not blinding, great luxurious type color color,( 6,000K ish) perfect cut off line, instant on and off, and no flicking. So that got me thinking.... Why not the Elantra LOL. Since on the Elantra, the fog lights are DRL'S i will keep them halogen, and only upgrade the headlight bulbs that i believe are H11B?- can any one confirm? Would i have the same results being as the elantra has a reflector type housing? I do not want to create a blinding un usable light that looks "cool" but has no function. I already upgraded the license plate lights to LEDS on both vehicles. I will not mess with brake lights or blinkers on either car. Pictures do these LEDS no justice, but trust me, on the Sonata they are REALLY nice. Even the road signs, and lines reflect better and more clearly. They have been installed in the Sonata for weeks, and have not had even ONE flash from anyone..... To put it in perspective, The Silver star ultras that i installed in the fog lights created more "glare" and caused more people to flash.
So back to the question, Would LED Headlight bulbs work in the Elantra reflector type housing WITHOUT creating more glare, and blinding everyone on the road haha. Pictures attached! Thanks.

View attachment 83797View attachment 83798View attachment 83799View attachment 83800View attachment 83801
Looks great! What exact leds did you use? I’d like to upgrade my Accord’s headlights as imo they just aren’t white and bright enough.

My apologies if I missed that info in your original post.

I’ve been tempted to get some sort of LED bulbs for my truck. The lighting is terrible.

I’d be better off driving a garden tractor with 1 burned out headlight. It’s pretty bad. The high beams are even worse.

Update on this, i will find a bright wall, and take a picture of the cut off, and the aimed area of lights on the Sonata. The pictures do no justice, and the bright spots are just the camera, and not random light. I think i will pass on putting LEDS in the Elantra, but will keep the ones on the sonata as they are near perfect. I already get flashed in the Elantra with factory halogen bulbs and alignment, so im sure putting LEDS will make it that much worse.. Thousands of miles of night driving later though with the Sonata., not one flash!.. So i do believe if the housings are designed correctly and you get a higher quality LED bulbs especially with projectors I think the results are worthwhile, safer without blinding others.
To note! I would be the FIRST to remove these LED bulbs if I believed these bulbs were blinding everyone, but it's simply not the case.. the light is well focused, with a noticeable cut off line and no random scatter light above the cut off line or hot spots.. I dont think i would put in LEDS in reflector type housings such as the Elantra though.

You have glare like no other. There isn't any way to retrofit LEDs correctly currently. If you swapped to projector lenses you could have went with a much better hid setup. Go look at an oem led setup with the heavy duty heat sinks, and wiring. Then look at what you have. Some fly-by-night shop isn't producing quality. If so they'd be oem.

You have glare like no other. There isn't any way to retrofit LEDs correctly currently. If you swapped to projector lenses you could have went with a much better hid setup. Go look at an oem led setup with the heavy duty heat sinks, and wiring. Then look at what you have. Some fly-by-night shop isn't producing quality. If so they'd be oem.
Do you need "heavy duty.. everything" for 20 watts a bulb? I thought about heat also, but again the housing stays so cool, that snow does not even melt off them. Also in person there is less glare then the halogen bulbs i took out. The Sonata came with optional with HIDS, but OEM parts are hard to find as it was a one or two year option, and expensive at that. So because of the optional HIDS, the housings are already designed for all high output light in mind I'm assuming.

Also.. i am not going to put LEDS in the Elantra reflector housing. I was tripping on LEDS LOL.

Philips is out with some LEDs that may actually come close to working, but putting out 1500 lumens I don’t see any advantage except for longer life.

I have Philips extreme ultinon (h1) for my high/signalling beams. The claimed output is also 1500 lumens but they are as bright as the factory 35W hid low/hi beam. If not slightly brighter.

Glare isn't a thing with high beams luckily.

I trust Philips (and Osram). They are much better than anything Chinese,
in particular 'in the glare department', however the outcome will highly
depend on the specific headlight design you mate them to. Remember
they both make some road-legal H4 and H7 LED replacements in Europe
now (road-legal when the car is registered in Germany at least).

Back