LED Bulbs

I need some LED bulbs (#921) for my third brake light. I need all (3); the outer bulbs for lighting up the bed, and the middle bulb for stopping. The outer bulbs must be white. Can the middle bulb be white as well? I was looking on Amazon and EBAY. The prices are all over the place and most only come in a (2) pack or multi pack. I don't want to break the bank on price, but do want something that won't burn out in a week or less.

LIGHT2.jpeg

Last edited:

$30 for all three, if they're the same bulb, which they appear to be.

Also, your center lense is red, so the bulb can be white. The stock bulb is also likely white.
$30? :eek:
I said I don't want to break the bank! That price will put me in my grave too early. 😁

I was wrong. Looks like the cargo lights are separate:

$50 for all three.

With LED's you get what you pay for, it seems. Do the eBay ones come with a three-year warranty?
I don't know. The bulbs I put in my reply are from Amazon. I have no idea what the warranty is. 🤷‍♂️

I have the Sylvania ones in my truck and they are great. The only problem is the housing itself is foggy/cloudy. I put them in the daytime lights and they are about as bright as the headlights.

If I was looking for cheap I'd stick with incandescents. If I was looking for brighter, I'd spend the money on name-brand LED's.

I spent the money on DD LED's. If they don't last for as long as I keep my vehicle (5-7 more years) it liley won't matter. LED's are creeping into many OEMs these days.

I have the Sylvania ones in my truck and they are great. The only problem is the housing itself is foggy/cloudy. I put them in the daytime lights and they are about as bright as the headlights.
I just need them for my 3rd brake light. I have an aftermarket 3rd brake light in there now. The one in my OP was being thrown away by the body shop at the Ford dealership my son works at. He called me and asked if I wanted it, and of course I said "HE** YEAH!" The customer wanted a new light because the gasket leaked. I have some gasket material to make a new one.
I think Ford wants $75+ for these 3rd brake lights. What do you charge for them in your parts dept.?

LIGHT3.jpeg

I just need them for my 3rd brake light. I have an aftermarket 3rd brake light in there now. The one in my OP was being thrown away by the body shop at the Ford dealership my son works at. He called me and asked if I wanted it, and of course I said "HE** YEAH!" The customer wanted a new light because the gasket leaked. I have some gasket material to make a new one.
I think Ford wants $75+ for these 3rd brake lights. What do you charge for them in your parts dept.?

View attachment 40505
The CHMSL for a 07 F-150 p/n 7L3Z-13A613-B lists out at $110.05. Its actually special order for me, its been too long since I have sold one to give it shelf space.

My truck is from Brand X, and I only paid $1500 for the truck, so I don't think I want to drop the money on a new lens when the old one still works.

Super Bright LED's dot com

I have this one, it is oversized, a bit longer than the incandescent version...

This one is the same size...

For the brake light I would go with red, because there will be a lot of light lost by using “white” LEDs which probably lack red in their mix, and won’t be bright enough. To that end I’d buy the pricy sylvania product at autozone since they’re well built and won’t likely burn out. Every cheap LED I’ve tried has burned out inside of a year. The Sylvania stuff is pricey but works. If the $ is too much, I’d stay with regular bulbs for the bed lights for now.

nice score on the housing.

I got to looking at the 3rd brake light a bit closer my son gave me from his dealership. It had a hairline crack in one of the white lens. Now I see why the body shop was throwing it away. So, in the trash it went. I still have the one my son gave me from his truck. It's actually in better shape and still looks brand new. (04 new style)
But, my LED bulbs came in the mail today.
BULBS.jpeg

I would not use a white LED under a red lens, it will probably wash out and appear pinkish. Also, the 194's may not be bright enough for the CHMSL, depending on how bright the LED's are. As noted, the 921 is several times brighter than a 194.

On my older cars, I have LED's on in most of the parking and brake light housings and it took a fair amount of trial and error to get right.

Back