Leather Cleaner...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been asked and I even asked it three years ago myself but I'm wondering what the current best leather cleaner is? I just got another Honda w/ a leather steering wheel and it's a pet peeve totry and keep them from getting oily/shiny. I did a good job on my Fit just using wet wipes regularly followed by periodic Armor-All Cleaning wipes. But just wondering if anyone else had a fav product to keep the steering wheel shine-free?

Blue Magic Leather Cleaner and Protectant is excellent. Very good price also. Around $4-5 and widely available. Leave a matte finish. I use it on my shoes and the bottle says it can be used on luggage and furniture also. Very easy to use.

Hmmm, I'll take a look. My former routine for the Fit was great but I was always scared I was going to dry the wheel out and cause cracking. I suppose I was fine for just 3 yrs w/ the Fit but I aim to keep the Si a tad longer.

I used Feibings Saddle Soap spray on a wet terrycloth rag to clean a nasty leather steering wheel and seats with great results. Its not very strong, so it may take a few tries with dirty leather. I also use Feibings Neatsfoot Oil Compound on the wheel and seats. Clean with saddle soap spray, rag and bucket of warm water, then apply the oil with your hand to seats and wheel until coated in oil, and let sit for several hours. The oil will not absorb into coated leather except where the coating has worn off. These areas will be dry in a few hours while the coated areas will still have oil sitting on top. I wipe up the excess oil well with a dry paper towel then give it a rub with a lightly dampened paper towel to make sure all the oil is off.

I've read where people say that these products are not for car leather etc. but I've used them for years with good results on both older and newer cars including newer hondas.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I used Feibings Saddle Soap spray on a wet terrycloth rag to clean a nasty leather steering wheel and seats with great results. Its not very strong, so it may take a few tries with dirty leather. I also use Feibings Neatsfoot Oil Compound on the wheel and seats. Clean with saddle soap spray, rag and bucket of warm water, then apply the oil with your hand to seats and wheel until coated in oil, and let sit for several hours. The oil will not absorb into coated leather except where the coating has worn off. These areas will be dry in a few hours while the coated areas will still have oil sitting on top. I wipe up the excess oil well with a dry paper towel then give it a rub with a lightly dampened paper towel to make sure all the oil is off.

I've read where people say that these products are not for car leather etc. but I've used them for years with good results on both older and newer cars including newer hondas.

Saddle soap will yield the results you want.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Saddle soap will yield the results you want.

I agree, and if it has stitching exposed for looks, get a soft horse hair brush to use with the saddle soap to clean around the stitching.

P&S xpress interior cleaner works great for leather, vinyl, plastic...and even as a pre-treat on cloth seats.

Well I went out and looked around in my garage and it looks like you guys must have convinced me to try Blue Magic last time so that's what I used. I did both my wheel the wife's wheel and seats with it. I followed up w/ Meg's Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on the wife's seats and immediately remembered her complaining about how slippery it made the seats, lol.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
P&S xpress interior cleaner works great for leather, vinyl, plastic...and even as a pre-treat on cloth seats.

Critic, how's that seat cover search going for your Prius seats that are showing "extreme" wear at only 35K miles?

Ha. just teasing, of course. Knock on wood, something bad ALWAYS happens to me when I poke fun at others.

Regarding vehicle leather treatments, I can never understand how products aimed at horse saddles, boots, etc. (per JamesBond) can be good on plastic coated vehicle leather.
21.gif
Someone enlighten me please.

In response to your question about saddle type leather care products being used on coated leather. I use the saddle soap because it is just a gentle cleaner. I could just as easily (and have) use a fresh bucket of car wash soap or Dawn and water etc. However the saddle soap is not too expensive, smells good and I like the idea of a cleaner that is made for leather.

The reason for the oil is for treating the areas of the seat where this "plastic coating" has worn off. The oil will not soak into areas where the coating is intact but will absorb into the areas where it has worn off. These are the areas where you see surface cracking or scuffs and these are the areas that I want to treat.

Plus this combo leaves the seat a lot less slippery than other leather products I have used.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I use leatherique.

And follow up with Prestine Clean from the same company. Outstanding stuff, although a little pricy compared to others mentioned here.

All these wonderful products date back to the dawn of mankind.

For a more contemporary product that is 'green' and both cleaner and conditioner in one try Chemspec.

NOT a consumer product, available at your nearby professional cleaning supply store.

Well, after a long road trip cross country, the Odyssey steering wheel was sparkly-shiny. I tried the Blue Magic and my normal wet wipes to no effect. Then I thought about another thread where someone was talking about using Magic Erasers for something (was it wax removal?). So I grabbed one and lightly went over the steering wheel leather. It looks brand new! These things are obviously very abrasive, though, as even with very gentle rubbing, the magic eraser pad had a black coating everywhere it had touched the steering wheel. So maybe not a regular cleaning tool but perhaps as an emergency rescue of a nasty old steering wheel, the Magic Eraser may have a place???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back