LEAST Safe Cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone wants to be safe, but buying huge trucks is the wrong way to go about it - it is like an arms race - you got a 1/2 ton, I will do a 3/4, and so on. Vehicles get bigger and bigger.
This makes the road less safe for others who choose to drive smaller cars for one, and consume more fuel is the other. We don't need hybrids at all, if everyone who does not need a truck regularly (eh, can I say 80%+ of pickup commuters?), opt to drive a mid size sedan.
I get scared when I see someone driving a suburban, yapping on the cell, and drifting left and right on the interstate. Sure she/he is safe if an accident happens so she/he is relaxed. What about the defensive driver she/he hits in that little car whose only sin is trying to save a few bucks on gasoline and/or have more concern with the environment?
Can we say selfish?

these were the first 4 websites listed during a google search of "Hyundai Elantra Crash tests"

As usual, your bashing of Hyundais is biased even in the crash test results. I am suprised ther wasnt an Audi listed with an 8 star crash rating at 150MPH.....

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/hyundai/elantra/safety/

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2005/12-aut/hyundai/elantra/crash-tests/

http://www.internetautoguide.com/crash-tests/09-int/2003/hyundai/elantra/

http://www.cartalk.com/content/testdrives/Reviews/hyundai-elantra-2004.html

http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/hyundai/idx.htm

23 Hyundai models with "Poor" or "Marginal" overall ratings. 17 w/ black marks (poor) in the "Injuries" section and check those "Death Ratings", lol.

10 KIA models with "Poor" or "Marginal" out of 20 models.

"For the first time since 2001 a vehicle garnered the worst result possible in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's frontal crash tests. That illustrious award goes to the Kia Spectra sedan. The poor rating came after crash-test dummy's experienced head, chest and leg damage after 40 mph frontal crashes. The poor rating is not good news for Kia that has only recently escaped quality concerns from the public"

I admit, I'm "biased".
wink.gif

You notice he does not comment on the 4 multi-year tests of the elantra that I posted....I wonder how many searches he had to dig through to find that one? My Google search results listed in my above posts were the FIRST 4 listed..Makes me wonder..

quote:

Everyone wants to be safe, but buying huge trucks is the wrong way to go about it - it is like an arms race - you got a 1/2 ton, I will do a 3/4, and so on. Vehicles get bigger and bigger.
This makes the road less safe for others who choose to drive smaller cars for one, and consume more fuel is the other. We don't need hybrids at all, if everyone who does not need a truck regularly (eh, can I say 80%+ of pickup commuters?), opt to drive a mid size sedan.
I get scared when I see someone driving a suburban, yapping on the cell, and drifting left and right on the interstate. Sure she/he is safe if an accident happens so she/he is relaxed. What about the defensive driver she/he hits in that little car whose only sin is trying to save a few bucks on gasoline and/or have more concern with the environment?
Can we say selfish?

Bravo!!!!!!!!!
gr_stretch.gif

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far with it. I just think he bashes Hyundai moreso than is really justified. sort of the Ford vs Chevy mentality that alot of us old-timers had when we were younger. In his case however, it is Audi VS. Every other car in the world.

quote:
Can we say selfish?

Reminds me of one of my favorite little tunes, by the very funny Paul Shanklin. Sung to the tune of Elvis' "In the ghetto"

At a used car lot on the edge of town
a liberal guy and a liberal gal
buy a Yugo
And they drive with pride

Cause if theres one thing that this world needs
Its enviromental friends who will take the lead
In a Yugo

They say, people don't you understand?
Those Suburbans are ruining the land
But they'll wish they had a full size van one day

They're pointing fingers at you and me
They say that we're to blind to see
But do we simply use our heads
And choose a better way

as those small wheels turn

Fifty miles to the gallon with their knees on their chest
They're gonna save enough gas for all the rest
In a Yugo

Then one day on the interstate
They suddenly lose control
They swerve to miss a baby duck
And get squashed by a produce truck
But they drove with pride

And as the crowd drives past the little flat car
You know they saved a lot of gas but they didn't get far
In a Yugo

As They're trapped inside

At a used car lot on the other side of town
A liberal guy and a liberal gal
Buy a Yugo
And they drive with pride

I'm not trying to tick anybody off, so don't take it too seriously. It's just something funny that I thought of.

Are these crash tests with or without seat belts? With the reported effectiveness for the side air bags, I suspect without. This renders the data useless to those really interested in safety. They have their seat belts fastened. They also follow toocrazy2yoo's suggestions.

What ever happened to those studies that showed given air bags many people became more aggressive drivers?

Not shenanigans:

quote:

IIHS would be a better source, because it seems less sparing of its worst marks than NHTSA.

Corolla is a bit of surprise, though.

You can die in any car. And 2005 cars vs. say 1965 cars are safer - relatively speaking - regardless of mass.

[ December 28, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Well I guess I'm going to try to udgrade my reinforcement in the bumper and the frame. Welding a steel bar in the frame and the bumper reinforcement. It will make think twice about hitting you.

quote:

Overall Ratings - SafeCarGuide.com evaluates all the available data (US, Europe, Japan, Austrailia) on a specific vehicle and assigns it 1 of 5 possible performance ratings based on data contained in the first 12 categories shown above. The overall rating is not simply an average of the other scores, because certain categories count more from a safety point of view.

IIHS - Death Rates
Driver Death Rates - The IIHS (United States) and ANCAP (Australia) review government data on deaths in motor vehicle accidents and compile a Driver Death Rate report. The relative death rates are good indicators of how insurers will set rates for different vehicles. Insurance companies price coverage by dividing a market into different types of risks based on claims experience and related costs of providing insurance coverage.

It seems every vehicle made by Geo gets "Poor" or "Marginal" ratings.

http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/geo/idx.htm

quote:

PS: Is the star-rating between different types of vehicles (small, compact, medium, large car, trucks, etc) directly comparable? I doubt it.

moribundman ,
Star ratings are used for comparison only when the cars involved are within 500 lb. of one another.

Physics is still king, more mass is superior when you are involved in a crash, all else being equal.

Yes but big vehicles are more likely to kill other people in a crash. I'd feel really guilty if I owned one.

From the original Forbes article:

"Hyundai's Elantra, Kia's Optima and Suzuki's Forenza sedans--like the other vehicles in the slide show--achieved ratings of "poor," the lowest possible, in two of three Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) crash tests (all the cars received their failing grades on the side- and rear-impact tests)"

BTW- I'll take a Leopard II anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back