LEAST Safe Cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

The least-safe cars on the market are like the least-safe neighborhoods in a big city: affordable, but not pretty.

With an average base price of $15,323 and no prices higher than $19,555, the six least-safe cars on the market companies such as Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki. Some models from these brands--which are hardly for social climbers--satisfy bargain hunters but require them to take their chances with personal safety. Hyundai's Elantra, Kia's Optima and Suzuki's Forenza sedans--like the other vehicles in the slide show--achieved ratings of "poor," the lowest possible, in two of three Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) crash tests (all the cars received their failing grades on the side- and rear-impact tests).

The 2006 model year is young. Not all new cars have crash-test scores available, but many do, and the slide show features the six with the worst crashworthiness.

We typically consult the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)--and we recommend car shoppers do too. But for a list of the least-safe cars, we felt the IIHS would be a better source, because it seems less sparing of its worst marks than NHTSA. Most cars in NHTSA's crash tests achieve ratings of three stars or higher on tests in which five stars is the top rating, but the IIHS does not hesitate to hand out ratings of "poor" when cars merit them. NHTSA gives out the occasional sub-three-star rating, but a three-star rating tends to be as low as it goes.

To be sure we were on steady ground in calling certain cars "unsafe," we fashioned our list out of cars that received multiple "poor" ratings from the IIHS. Both a list of cars with only one "poor" rating and a list of cars with one or more three-star ratings from NHTSA would have been unwieldy, with over 20 cars each.

The list of unsafe cars points to two trends. First, the least-safe cars are cheap. However, some luxury cars have subpar crash-test scores. The Jaguar X-Type sedan from Ford Motor (nyse: F - news - people ) and the Infiniti G35 and M model lines from Nissan Motor received one "poor" rating each, which was alarming but not enough to merit placement on our list.

Some 2006-model luxury cars have also had safety recalls already. For example, DaimlerChrysler's redesigned Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV has been recalled for a faulty power steering system, as has the Cadillac Escalade SUV from General Motors. However, we did not feel that a car with one safety recall was necessarily unsafe, and there is, as of now, no bank of 2006-model cars with multiple safety recalls.

The other trend is that side airbags, though frequently optional, should be mandatory. The IIHS often gives "poor" side-impact crash-test scores to vehicles tested without optional side airbags. Add side airbags in a side-impact test and a vehicle's score can go from the lowest possible to the second highest possible. But some vehicles, such as the slide show's Hyundai Elantra, manage to achieve "poor" side-impact scores despite having standard side bags.

Safety features are like luxury features in cars: the higher your budget, the more of them you will get. For a look at the least-safe cars on the market--and at the correlation between budget vehicles and unsafe vehicles--please follow the link below.

Hyundai Elantra
Base Price: $13,675

Hyundai is moving up in the world, gaining more respectability each year and charging more for its cars. The company's Elantra sedan, however, feels less like a part of the successful, growing Hyundai than a part of the old Hyundai--the Hyundai that was a punch-line for so many years. The Elantra is unrefined and unsafe, and its driving dynamics will not excite you unless you think any car is exciting. But you don't have to be a joyless coupon clipper to gravitate toward the Elantra; you just have to be in search of a reasonable deal, as millions of Americans are. The Elantra provides basic transportation with a price tag that is hard to beat, which is why Hyundai sold almost 100,000 Elantras in America in the first three quarters of 2005.

Kia Optima
Base Price: $16,785

The Optima sedan comes with underpowered engines and much refinement needed in such areas as steering response. The Optima also has poor residual values and, with its 2.7-liter engine, achieves an average fuel economy of 20 mpg overall *, which is pretty bad for a family sedan.

* Source: Consumer Reports

Mazda6
Base Price: $19,555

Perhaps the most refined models on this list, the Mazda6 sedans, hatchbacks and wagons are handsome inside and out and fun to drive.The automotive press loves to endorse the Mazda6 because the nameplate offers a less mainstream, more hip, more sporty alternative to the antiseptic Toyota Camry.

Nissan Sentra
Base Price: $13,680

Another basic, small, unsafe sedan with few charms, the Sentra is what you drive in high school. The two-star rating means that in a typical side crash, a front-seat occupant would have a 21% to 25% chance of an injury that would require immediate hospitalization and could be life-threatening. The Sentra comes with one of the wimpiest engines on the market: a 126-hp, 1.8-liter four-cylinder.

Suzuki Forenza
Base Price: $13,699

There's a reason we don't give Suzuki much coverage in these pages. The company sells three sedans that are just about the same size and have just about the same price: the Aerio ($13,999), the Forenza ($13,699) and the Reno ($13,199)--and the Forenza and Reno have the same disappointing engine specifications (127 hp each). A Nissan or a Toyota will have one such forgettable vehicle in its lineup; what's the point of having three for the same price? Suzuki's slogan for the Forenza is "Have it all." Trust us: this is not as good as cars get.

Toyota Corolla
Base Price: $14,545

We were surprised to find such poor ratings for the Corolla, a car we had thought was in fact one of the market's safest. But the low scores come with caveats. For one thing, since model-year 2004, the Corolla's rear crash-test score has dropped to "poor" from "acceptable," two grades higher. But more importantly, the Corolla on the list is the one tested without optional side airbags. Tested with optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags, the Corolla's side rating is not "poor," but "acceptable"--the second-highest possible score.

Least Safe: Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series

Base Price: $15,045

A four-wheel-drive Ford Ranger pickup has a two-star rollover-resistance rating. The government says a model with this rating has a 30% chance of rolling over in a single-vehicle crash.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2005/10/21/toyota-leastsafe-cars-cx_dl_1024feat_ls.html?boxes=custom

[ December 28, 2005, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

I always said "KIA" stands for "killed in accident". Actually, in military casualty reports, "KIA" does stand for "killed in action". One of those unfortunate name selections, I guess.

Speaks volumes for not running into things..

These things are not meant to be crashed. Pay attention, stay off the phone, watch out for all the knuckleheads out there, and crashworthiness isn't an issue. Pretty soon, the safety-crats will have us all driving our cars wearing motorcycle helmets. It's all nonsense. You cannot crash-safe any vehicle. Best policy, don't crash.

Darwin takes care of everything.

What am I missing here? I'm on the NHTSA website and the Elantra gets no lower than a 4-star in their crash test (nor does the Optima for that matter)
dunno.gif

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3753.html

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3347.html

Also, why have the Optima on there and not the Rio, which does have a 2-star rating? I call shenanigans.

Oh yeah, I'll "take my chances with personal safety" in my Elantra. What a pansy.

A seatbelt or airbag won't help you if your legs have been cut off by the engine that protrudes into the passenger compartment. Of course it matters whether you crash (or get crashed into!) in a safe or in an unsafe car!

labman touches an intersting point. Do airbags, ABS and a high safety rating entice drivers to be reckless? I hope that doesn't apply to the majority drivers, but I can see how some cretins may be fooled into a false sense of security.

This is a poorly researched article that is an opinion not based on facts. In a business magazine.
rolleyes.gif

What is this artcle about? Safety?

- its driving dynamics will not excite you unless you think any car is exciting
- provides basic transportation with a price tag that is hard to beat
- underpowered engines and much refinement
- poor residual values and, with its 2.7-liter engine, achieves an average fuel economy of 20 mpg overall *, which is pretty bad for a family sedan.
- handsome inside and out and fun to drive
- Another basic, small, unsafe sedan with few charms, the Sentra is what you drive in high school.
- A Nissan or a Toyota will have one such forgettable vehicle in its lineup; what's the point of having three for the same price? Suzuki's slogan for the Forenza is "Have it all." Trust us: this is not as good as cars get.

What does any of this have to do with safety?
Sounds like he doesn't like the cars, which is fine.
And he cherry-picked safety ratings; look for yourself, there are cars that do poorly in both NHTSA and IIHS testing, and they are not mentioned.

Sour grapes.

I hope everyone wasting time here (like me
smile.gif
) remembers that IIHS is interested in 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. They want a 'safe' car because it costs their constituents less in medical payments BUT THEY ALSO WANT CARS TO BE CHEAPER TO REPAIR. Their ratings reflect repair costs as well as 'harm' factors.

Anybody read Michael Chrichtin's "State of Fear?" I like the point he makes that we live in the safest society ever in the history of the world, but despite that we're constantly consumed with fears about all sorts of tiny hazards in our lives.

Not that it isn't important. It's good that we're much safer now than decades ago, in cars and in other ways. It's just that as individuals, and as a society, we are not very good at assessing the magnitudes of actual real threats to our safety and processing them rationally. So we end up spending vast amounts of money on relatively inconsequential threats while ignoring much larger ones.

A little off-topic, sorry about that. When it comes to cars I think the best policy is to consider safety as a general factor, but to realize that by far the most important safety factor is the driver, and that a large safety factor, the maneuverability and responsiveness of the car, is left out of all safety ratings entirely.

- Glenn

Except for outer skin modifications, the currently selling KIA Optima is bolt-for-bolt a re-badged prior generation Hyundai Sonata. I don't know where the snot-nosed, yuppie, likely BMW-driving "author" of that obviously biased article got his information (well, yes I do, but BITOG forum rules prevent me from posting crude, anatomical references about where the moron typically garages his head), but the 2.7L V6 engined Sonatas and Optimas were listed as 19 mpg, city and 27 mpg, highway by the EPA. Sadly, my '03 Sonata has thus far failed to live down to those expectations. I'm "suffering" through 21+ mpg, urban crawl, and 32+ mpg, highway (75 mph). When I sell my car in another three years, I won't give a flyin' fig about its residual value. At six+ years, no mass-produced car is worth anything close to its orginal selling price, let alone MSRP.

quote:

. . . Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki. Some models from these brands--which are hardly for social climbers . . . .

I feel very blessed to be one of the 20% of people in the world rich enough to own a car. I'm not going to be a snob about what kind it is as long as it serves my needs. I'll be OK as long as I remember to stay out of the way of those suburban assault vehicles.

quote:

by far the most important safety factor is the driver, and that a large safety factor, the maneuverability and responsiveness of the car, is left out of all safety ratings entirely.

True, active safety features are generally not mentioned because they depend on the driver's skill and specific circumstances (won't help you if you are standing at a railroad crossing and some idiot rearends you going 90.

I see active safety features (crisp handling, good brakes, maneuverability, power) as very desireable, but passive safety (crumple zones, airbags, etc) is your main defense against people who crash into you anyway.

I saw a Honda Civic slam into a full size Chevy Silverado. The Civic was totally destroyed and I don't know if the driver was ok. The front of the Chevy looked fine as if nothing happened. IIRC the Civic had a 5 star rating and the Chevy had a 4 Star. This made me rethink safety ratings. There is no way a car is safer then a full size truck! Size does matter and physics prooves it.

The Civic absorbed more energy by deforming its crumple zones. You'll have to look at the type of deformation and where it occured to make a statement regarding safety. You could take a '50 Buick and hit wall at 30 mph and barely have a dent in the bumper, but they'd have to scrape your remains off the dashboard or pull you off the steering column.

PS: Is the star-rating between different types of vehicles (small, compact, medium, large car, trucks, etc) directly comparable? I doubt it.

"The Civic absorbed more energy by deforming its crumple zones."

Civics seem to be the most popular 'cockroach' car by far (goofy sounding muffler, racing stripes, spoiler, etc., darting back and forth between lanes like some sort of bug), but they seem to fare poorly when slamming into larger vehicles like trucks. If they don't fold the front of car into the driver's seat they wedge themselves under the axles, frame, and bumpers. I've seen some that lifted the rear end of pickups off the ground, but in doing so they folded the cabin down to the rest of the body all the back to the rear seats.

I ask people to avoid squeezing into my extra bit of braking space, especially if they're going to then slam on their brakes; I can attach tow hooks to the bumper mounts up front, the rear hitch is attached to the frame, I have solid axles front and rear that are used as jacking points, and the engine is over 900 lbs, so there are few small car friendly crush zones. My truck is just a pickup, and I ask people to consider how much more stout the medium and heavy duty trucks are.

Is it really worth kiling others to make that exit ? To get into that lane ? To keep talking on your phone ?

Size matters.

Also, the author was quite a snob. He is just justifying why he drives an expensive car. If he really cared about safety, why didn't he list small inexpensive cars that have good safety ratings?

I think someone is trying to drive home their dislike of Korean cars....

Don't be surprised if this "least safe car" cum "K-car bashing" thread gets locked...again!
spaz.gif

I don't think the comments listed are wholly respective to the safety issues. They seem to be a summary of the car's attributes all-around.
From other studies I've seen the Cavalier is also an exceptionally poor preformer. As far as price goes, the Civic has always been on-top of it's class in crash safety. It's not a stretch to make the price-safety connection, that's the whole point...you pay extra for more than a nametag, duh. btw- I don't think it's a great article either, but if I listed CR crash results from top to bottom, it would tend to correlate. For me, there were no surprises on the list.

So, we have...

Unsafe cars are actually not unsafe.

You are a snob if you don't want to die or be mangled in moderate crashes. (like MANY Americans are)

2/7 cars mentioned are Korean, but the focus of the article is to bash Korean cars.

rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back