Leak after CV axle install??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday I had a CV axle replaced on my wife's GTP after the boot started leaking. I had been noticing a couple of spots on my driveway, but I figured they were coming from my old beater because I had parked on that side of the driveway over the weekend. However, where I usually park my car there are no spots. I noticed one of the spots was fresh today when I came home from work. My wife was not home yet.

My wife and I were about to go to church tonight, and when we backed out of the driveway I noticed another fresh spot. My wife had only been home for less than an hour and whatever it is had already dripped. After crawling around under her car with a flashlight, it appeared the leak was coming from the transmission around the axle the shop just put in. There are 4 spots on the driveway that correspond to the 4 times the car has been driven.

Has this ever happened to anyone? How and what could they have messed up during the install?? Man I hate arguing over car repairs with a shop!

its easy on some to tear the inner seal when re-installing or tear when removing if the end has a circlip on the end which sometimes have sharp edges. or it was not aligned really straight when they popped it back in. the shop should be able to pull the seal out and press/tap a new one back into place. did the shop reinstall a new reman axle or just a new boot? if its a reman have them inpect it again once its out. a good shop wont give you much hassle or cost you anymore out of pocket..
...mudd

Yup, should have had a new axle seal installed usually just a few bucks for the seal and fairly easy to install, Just cheap insurance IMO.

If in fact thats where your leak is.

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Racerjk: These links are for a 2003 Bonneville, but the engine and trans are the same. It sounds to me like they didn't replace the shaft seals like they should have.

Replacing the tranny seals isn't typically part of a CV shaft replacement job(I've done MANY). It sounds like they gaffed the seal with the splines, in which case, they owe you a new seal.

quote:

Originally posted by muddawgs:
its easy on some to tear the inner seal when re-installing or tear when removing if the end has a circlip on the end which sometimes have sharp edges. or it was not aligned really straight when they popped it back in. the shop should be able to pull the seal out and press/tap a new one back into place. did the shop reinstall a new reman axle or just a new boot? if its a reman have them inpect it again once its out. a good shop wont give you much hassle or cost you anymore out of pocket..
...mudd

It was a brand new axle. I don't anticipate any trouble out of the shop, but you never know.

Might want to spray those CV boots down with a good non-staining silicone spray every three months or so....Pyrol makes a decent inexpensive one.

Is this some kind of difficult job or something??

I thought I was still seeing fresh drips on our driveway even after the same shop put a new seal in for us. I'll be dang if the new seal isn't leaking too. It's just as bad as the old seal. The old seal didn't leak before this install though.

What the ****? I've never done an CV joint install before and I didn't have the time to do it myself either. I think I could've done just as good a job as these clowns. If the other side goes out I'm doing it myself.

In the meantime, they WILL get this right.

Hate to tell you, but a bearing going out in many cases is the cause of a seal leak. If the bearing is worn bad a new seal is not going to do anything to fix the real problem.

So I need a new housing or can you just get a new bearing? Like I said, it didn't leak before! That's what ticks me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back