LE 8130, 2008 Avalanche 5.3L, 78,500/6,107 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Chey Avalanche 2WD LT
5.3L iron block flex fuel engine
LE 8130 Monolec Ultra Blend 10W-30 HDEO (second fill). Valvoline WB had been regularly used before the LE 8130.
Pure One PL12222 oil filter
OEM air filter
Fuel...who knows, it's my daughter's truck. LE LX 2300 added when I get a chance.
Driving style is mixed.
The truck is stock.

I'm not sure where all the Na is coming from. It doesn't seem to be coolant. It is more than I usually see in 8130. Bearing/bushing wear seems high, but I'm used to the Toyota 2UZ-FE and the Honda F22C1.

I've been trying to lengthen OCI's on this vehicle. But I kept seeing crud and casting materials in the bottom of the drain pan for the longest time!

I've also been monitoring what appeared to be a oil pan gasket seep. Now, the lower back of the engine is wet, but not dripping. I cleaned it up with some brake cleaner, but need to bring it back home to have another look. There is a steering rack in the way though. I might have to take it to a shop if I can't see exactly what is leaking.

Code:
Valvoline 5W-30 Monolec 10W-30

SN/GF-5 CJ-4/SM

5/18/2011 11/17/2012

OLM 47% OLM 27%

55,511 miles 78,500 miles

4,628 miles 6,107 miles

Dyson (MRT lab) Polaris-Houston

Iron 12 11

Copper 37 40

Tin 0 1

Lead 13 13

Chromium 1 2

Nickel 0 0

Aluminum 1 2

Titanium 0 0

Silver 0 0

Cadmium NA 0

Vanadium 0 0

Calcium 1599 1174

Magnesium 10 970

Zinc 787 1263

Phosphorus 563 1008

Barium 0 0

Molybdenum 6 49

Antimony 0 0

Silicon 14 13

Sodium 89 140

Boron 7 1

Potassium 0 0

Manganese NA 2

Lithium NA 0

V40C cSt 56.0 NA

V100C cSt 9.4 11.7

Viscosity indx 151 NA

TAN 2.23 NA

TBN 1.7 3.41

Flash Point 355F NA

Oxidation 16 19

Nitration 10 16

KF 473 NA

Water% FTIR NA
Fuel% 0.953 (FTIR)
Soot% 0
Glycol 0 NA

Sulfate by product 23 NA

I also wondered why Polaris didn't do GC for a fuel reading. Then I found this:

Fuel Dilution %
Definition
Fuel Dilution is the amount of raw, unburned fuel that ends up in the crankcase. It lowers an oil's viscosity and flash point creating friction-related wear almost immediately by reducing film strength.
Standard Test Method Used
GC by the traditional ASTM D3524 and D3525 methodology has proven to be a time-consuming process and highly stressful on the instrumentation. FTIR has been considered a viable alternative but often requires confirmation by additional testing for flash point. An improved GC method by PerkinElmer Life and Analytical Sciences is much better at differentiating between components after separation, which significantly improves the accuracy of GC results. POLARIS Laboratories ® uses this improved GC method to confirm fuel dilution.
Reporting Measurement
%
Amount of Sample Needed
40 mL
Test Limitation
Because a #2 diesel fuel typically has a viscosity of around 1.7-2.1 cSt at 40°C, which is thinner than a typical 15W40 engine oil with a viscosity of around 14.7 cSt at 100°C, fuel dilution reduces the engine oil's viscosity. When the oil's viscosity varies by more than one (1) cSt from the known starting viscosity of the oil when new, we will confirm fuel dilution by the new GC method reporting the result as we do currently - as percent by volume. However, if lubricant grade is not included with the sample, fuel dilution will be confirmed by GC if viscosity is below 13.3 cSt for a diesel engine oil and below 9.8 cSt for a gasoline engine oil. If viscosity is above the oil's mid-point for the grade, fuel dilution will be reported as

Last edited:
INDY,

maybe a little off topic but why don't you just use a cheaper more readily available HDEO? I bet you would get similar results and save some money.

Sodium looks a little low for VWB 5w30.

Good UOA.

Check your engine oil cooler lines for possible source of the leak.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
INDY,

maybe a little off topic but why don't you just use a cheaper more readily available HDEO? I bet you would get similar results and save some money.

Sodium looks a little low for VWB 5w30.

Good UOA.

I had planned to stay cheap for the longest time. But somehow the 8130 found its way into the truck!

Originally Posted By: 3311

Thanks for the tip 3311. Is this a common leak area? I think my Chilton manual says you have to disconnect these before dropping the oil pan.

I may need to check for a HG leak too. The high Na is very unusual for 8130.

Add intake manifold leak to the suspects too. I just need to get to the truck before she drives it in the morning to do some tests.

IF it has an oil cooler the lines connect right at the filter boss.
many times if they are seeping a little tightening of the mount will cure it. If not the gasket is like 2 bucks. But I have a ton of these and not one leaks anywhere. I would doubt it is the oil pan gasket. Rear main seal may weep a bit but usually is good to very high mileage.

I have never had a 4.8/5.3/6.0 with those kind of iron, copper, and lead numbers at those mileages. That may be an oil issue, I just can't tell.

We always run our service fleet till the OLM is at ZERO!

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Originally Posted By: 3311

Thanks for the tip 3311. Is this a common leak area? I think my Chilton manual says you have to disconnect these before dropping the oil pan.

I may need to check for a HG leak too. The high Na is very unusual for 8130.

Oil cooler line leaks are common, and on some of those trucks the lines are $200-$300 from the dealer and in many cases there are no aftermarket replacement. At least replacing them is an easy task.

Mine was leaking on the 04 below. I had thought it was the pan but after cleaning it off I realized the hoses were leaking at the crimps.
I replaced them about 12 miles before the engine lost pressure, and my oil was silver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back