LE 1605 Duolec(SAE 110), 6K miles, 2004 S2000 diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
New%20mash.jpg

Another pic of the 4.57 gear mash.
Lots of sliding going on.
Less friction = more power into turning the ring instead of trying to push it out the back
shocked2.gif

I don't have a S2000, but I am running the LE 703 in my Grand Marquis.

LE makes some excellent products and like others I wish they would package in smaller quantities for us small consumers.

I suspect that's why their products aren't popular on BITOG. There are some websites that offer some products by the quart, but at a premium price. Some are only offered in 5 gallon pails though.

Doesnt the company mag-hytec offer quarts when buying their diff/trans covers? Or am i remembering wrong.

I actually found a Chevron dealer in the Northeast and will be taking delivery of a case of Delo 80W-90 gear oil next week.
thumbsup2.gif

I just need to get the washers and find the time and place to do the change ... oh, and I need to buy a fluid transfer pump.
48.gif

Yes, Mag-Hytec sells LE products by the quart online.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Doesnt the company mag-hytec offer quarts when buying their diff/trans covers? Or am i remembering wrong.

You can buy new washers if you want. But they are not crush washers, so you can re-use the old ones.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
I actually found a Chevron dealer in the Northeast and will be taking delivery of a case of Delo 80W-90 gear oil next week.
thumbsup2.gif

I just need to get the washers and find the time and place to do the change ... oh, and I need to buy a fluid transfer pump.
48.gif

Indy, I just dumped my amsoil 75w110 from my s2k diff. I found a lot of black coloured paste on the drain plug, pretty thick. This was my first run of this fluid,only about 5k miles on the oci. When I got the car it had Redline 75w90 in it, when I dumped it the drain plug material was a grey colour, I don't know how long the Redline was in there when I got the car.

Do you think the Amsoil may have done some cleaning of old fluid/material causing the black colour ?. I sent off a Uoa of this fluid but I won't have the results back for a while. I got a bit worried and I've gone with Amsoil 75w140 for now to see if things improve on the next drain. Any comments you can add ? , thanks.

Thanks for doing a UOA on the 75W-110 SVT JSRT4. I don't think I have seen one on this gear oil yet in the S2000.

I have seen only one on RL 75W-90 though, and it was completely unacceptable IMO.

Is the SVT cleaning? That's possible. But paste on the drain plug is normal. I guess some of it could be sludge, and sludging does and can occur in the diff's when temperatures rise above 180F (according to LE).

I recently drained a fill of LE 1605 in my S2000 after almost 9K miles. Prior to draining it I ran 2 ozs of ARX in it for 1000 miles. I drained it hot and the oil condition looked good (not much different than the fresh oil). But I didn't analyze that fill. The drain plug had very little paste and no metal that I could see. A pleasant surprise/effect that I noticed while running it with ARX during the hot Texas summer was considerably less gear whine between 50-60MPH. Maybe the POE in ARX added some film strength to the 1605.

I can't really speculate how the 75W-140 will work for you. If it lowers the temp in the diff, then I think you may have found a winner.

Thanks for the reply IndyMac, there might be a chance that what I saw on the drian plug was some sludge being cleaned up from past runs, it was very black almost like grease. I know previous wear I seen on the drain plug was a grey coloured metallic paste, this one looked totally different. It looked more like sludge than wear metals. I hope to have the UOA of the 75w110 Amsoil SVG back in a few weeks, I'll post results. I'll have a UOA of the 75w140 sometime next year, and see how they compare. I hope it was a good choice, the car is only used in hot temp weather so hopefully it will work as intended. I appreciate the reply.

A few months ago I changed the rear diff oil in my daughter's 2008 Chevy Avalanche. It had 32K miles on it and was the OEM fill. When I cracked the face plate to drain the oil it looked awful (thick black ink comes to mind). When I removed the face plate everything inside was covered by this thick black stuff. So I sprayed a whole can of brake cleaner on the internals and cleaned it up. I decided to try a fill of LE 1605 (not the recommended GM 75W-90 synthetic grape juice). I'll pull the fill plug after 15K miles and see what the 1605 looks like in there. I wish I had done an ARX treatment on this differential before draining, but I didn't think it would be that bad.

Yes, unsettling as it is, dark grey/black paste on drain plugs and diff internals is pretty common.

I changed the oil in my 2005 S2000's diff. Car was owned by a middle aged woman that drove it less than 3,000 miles per year and kept it garaged. Oil (factory fill I presume) had less than 15,000 miles on it. The crud inside this thing was pretty bad ... took me a while to clean the plug.

I plan a quick interval with the Chevron ESI 80W-90 of about 1 year's use (expect 3,000-5,000 miles) then I'll dump it and refill with the same for an interval about triple that. Hopefully the Chevron will clean out some of the gooey paste that's in there and it'll come out with the next drain.

If I can get an interval of 12,000+ miles on the diff oil, I'll do a UOA.

I'm pretty leery of using solvents to clean parts in a diff ... unless I am able to allow a day or so of drying to remove any and all traces of the cleaner before diff cover goes back on and new oil goes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back