LC20 and cheap dino oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched but I'm not sure what to search for exactly to get this question answered.

I have two cars that I'm considering LC20 for:

2001 VW Passat, 2.8L V6, ~6 quart oil capacity, 84k miles, 20k miles annually, 5k OCI with GC, M1 0w-40, or Syntec 5w-40. Car runs fine very little if any oil consumption.

1999 SAAB 95, 2.3L I4 Turbo, ~4 quart oil capacity, 94k miles, 10k miles annually, 5k OCI with GC or M1 5w-30. It had a leaky rear main so I started an Auto-RX treatment at 90.5k miles:
1. 90.5k: Changed filter and added 8 oz ARX.
2. 92k: Changed filter and added 4 Quarts Citgo 5w-30 dino for rinse phase.
3. 94k: Changed filter and added 12 oz ARX and ~4 Quarts 5w-30 ARX.
4. I will change the oil and filter at 95k miles for the final rinse.
5. At 97k miles I plan on using Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30. I got it free after rebate.

So that is the background to where I am now. Is is possible for me to just use cheap dino oil and LC20 in either car for any period of time? The way I figure it, if LC20 and $0.80 per quart dino can suffice for the occasional 3k OCI, I can save a few bucks. If not, I'll just stick with GC and M1. So the can LC20 make dino acceptable for 3k OCIs?

Thanks for the replies. The Saab has really come to life during the ARX, I can actually hear the turbo whistling when I couldn't before. It could just be psychological though.

quote:

The VW look like the better candidate.

But that doesn't mean that DOHC 30 valve engine is a GOOD candidate for dino oil. I'd just go with synthetic oil and two oil changes per year in that car. As always, I suggest a VW 502 rated oil or M1 5W-40.

By the way, sethjvm, does that engine really have a 6 qt sump?

1999 Saab 95, 96k miles:

1000 miles down and 1000 miles to go in second rinse phase. Using Citgo SM dino 5w-30 as rinse oil.

Leaking main seal seems to have stopped. I base this on placing a cardboard mat under the car to look for leaks.

Virtually no oil consumption.

Does anyone see a problem if I use 4 oz of ARX (leftover from first treatment bottle) with Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30 for 3k OCI?

At 100k, I will swtich exlusively back to sythetic and LC20 for 5k OCI.

2001 VW Passat V6:

85k changed oil to Kendall GT-1
86.5k added 12 oz Auto-RX
87k gas mileage appears to be improved but I'm not sure if that is Auto-RX or just cooler air causing improvement.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

The VW look like the better candidate.

But that doesn't mean that DOHC 30 valve engine is a GOOD candidate for dino oil. I'd just go with synthetic oil and two oil changes per year in that car. As always, I suggest a VW 502 rated oil or M1 5W-40.

By the way, sethjvm, does that engine really have a 6 qt sump?

I'm using a slightly larger filter and 6 quarts fills it perfectly. I think the owner's manual says about 5.7 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back