Layering Power Lock Plus paint sealer?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Just washed and de-ironed the Pilot and will claybar (mothers bar w/303 detailer spray), wash and seal the paint tomorrow.

I just got a bottle of Power Lock Plus after reviews here and on YT, I will be using it for the first time. We have lots of salt and road grime in the winter and am contemplating 2 coats on the entire vehicle with 3 or 4 on the front clip. I really do not want to go through this process again and want a solid, durable coat.

I understand sealers can last 6 - 8 months so maybe multiple layers can give me longer protection? What's you opinion on multiple coats of Power Lock Plus?

Layering does nothing more than ensure even coverage.
Alright, I'll have to make sure to get that first layer of sealant down. After all of this washing, decon, and claybaring, the paint surface better be clean. Taping off the textured plastic trim as well to get extra close to the edges.

Owen Lucas -

It’s not difficult to “ensure even coverage” with the first coat of PowerLock +. Or anything else for that matter.

I am now using Menzerna/Jescar’s “PowerLock Ultra.” With either product, it’s important to follow the label directions. As in “allow a minimum of thirty minutes after applying before you remove the sealant.” And if you want to apply a second coat, per the directions wait a minimum of three hours.

I always apply a second coat and I’ve had consistently good results with the sealant lasting eight months. If your car(s) is not garaged, then be happy with six months.

Also, I find that minimal use of an automatic car wash helps the sealant’s longevity. That’s sometimes difficult from December through March, at least in this locale.

Happy detailing!

Owen Lucas -

It’s not difficult to “ensure even coverage” with the first coat of PowerLock +. Or anything else for that matter.

I am now using Menzerna/Jescar’s “PowerLock Ultra.” With either product, it’s important to follow the label directions. As in “allow a minimum of thirty minutes after applying before you remove the sealant.” And if you want to apply a second coat, per the directions wait a minimum of three hours.

I always apply a second coat and I’ve had consistently good results with the sealant lasting eight months. If your car(s) is not garaged, then be happy with six months.

Also, I find that minimal use of an automatic car wash helps the sealant’s longevity. That’s sometimes difficult from December through March, at least in this locale.

Happy detailing!
Great advice. The pilot is garaged and has never been through a car wash, I am the car wash.

With 2 to 4 coats, that’s a lot of waiting in between, not a problem.

In the winter, if the weather allows, I use the 2 bucket method after a power washing to get the salt off, and will be relying on the Power Lock to keep the paint protected.

Owen,

I’m not certain how much more durability you’re going to get after the second coat of PL +. Mostly because after performing your paint prep ritual and two coats of PL, I’m tired of looking at the car! 😎

I layered a second coat of PowerLock on my Wife's Liberty this morning. I did the first coat Wednesday, washed it again today and applied the second coat. If time/weather permits I might re-coat it late November. I've tried quite a few of the "ceramic" and a few other hyped products and was not impressed. PL seems to last the longest of the products I tried by far.
27.gif

I don’t get the chair thing.
I figured that I was going to catch static by using words like ceramic and hype. Rather than fight I chose to take cover, I'm a lot older than when I first joined Bitog. I only fight when I have to now. ;)

I figured that I was going to catch static by using words like ceramic and hype. Rather than fight I chose to take cover, I'm a lot older than when I first joined Bitog. I only fight when I have to now. ;)

🤣🤣.

Now with different versions of Powerlock we have to be specific. Powerlock Ultra Plus is everything anyone wants.

Back